Sleeper Car has been removed from train #11 (6/17)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every BC experience I’ve ever had on every Amtrak train that offers it is superior to coach. And I travel Business on Amtrak when I can. I also sent my daughters to college on 16+ hour overnights in BC. Why are certain posters so hell bent to have BC eliminated? In my opinion it is the only legitimate alternative to sleepers (yes, even on a day time trip) because of all the reasons that TiBike lists. If you don’t think it is a value - don’t choose it. But don’t dismiss the option because it meets other people’s criteria but not your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every BC experience I’ve ever had on every Amtrak train that offers it is superior to coach. And I travel Business on Amtrak when I can.
I agree that BC on single-level trains is superior to coach, mainly for the split cafe/BC and 2-1 searing on Horizon cars. But BC on Superliners is not markedly superior to coach. On the Pere Marquette, a Superliner route, BC is just a regular coach seat with a dog-eared sign Velcro’d above it. No instruction on complimentary drinks or Wi-Fi.

Every BC experience I’ve ever had on every Amtrak train that offers it is superior to coach. And I travel Business on Amtrak when I can.
I agree that BC on single-level trains is superior to coach, mainly for the split cafe/BC and 2-1 searing on Horizon cars. But BC on Superliners is not markedly superior to coach. On the Pere Marquette, a Superliner route, BC is just a regular coach seat with a dog-eared sign Velcro’d above it. No instruction on complimentary drinks or Wi-Fi.
Unfortunately BC service and seats are all over the place but it seems on Pere Marquette, it looks like BC tickets are fully refundable. This isn't the case on all BC tickets. I guess the perk is the full refundability of the ticket.

So I finally managed to get to an Amtrak agent on the phone. He confirmed that due to "some problems" the Coast Starlight is only running between Sacramento and Los Angeles and there are no sleeper cars available to use (where did they leave all the sleeper cars? In the Oakland yard?).
I'm not sure where they are being left, but the sleepers and the dining car will be removed until the outage is over. I guess someone thought that since this basically amounts to a 14 hour, in state day trip, the resources are best utilized elsewhere.

He did not know for how long it is going to continue like this, and surprisingly, in true incompetent Amtrak style, there is ZERO mention of this major disruption on Amtrak's Service Disruption webpage- https://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices. The only CS related advisory is related to trackwork in Oregon which is a different problem than this curtailed sleeper-less service.
The advisory you posted is the root of the problems. The track work had a bus bridge working between two points. Then, part of the tunnel collapsed. UP (the host) announced several estimated dates of completion. None of them have come to fruition and as of yesterday, the outage is indefinite, with a continuous curfew.

This new operating plan was literally just published and the affected passengers are supposed to be notified. It may take a little more time to update the website.

Besides, I can't wait to see the announcement. I'm sure it will be a winner and these things take time.

"Ride our contemporary train from LAX-SAC"

"The Dining and Sleeping Cars normally assigned to the Coast Starlight will undergo maintenance"

"We regret the loss of services on the Coast Starlight during this outage but it'll be back stronger than ever. Wait until you see our new dining car menu. They love it out east!!"

So I finally managed to get to an Amtrak agent on the phone. He confirmed that due to "some problems" the Coast Starlight is only running between Sacramento and Los Angeles and there are no sleeper cars available to use (where did they leave all the sleeper cars? In the Oakland yard?).
I'm not sure where they are being left, but the sleepers and the dining car will be removed until the outage is over. I guess someone thought that since this basically amounts to a 14 hour, in state day trip, the resources are best utilized elsewhere.

He did not know for how long it is going to continue like this, and surprisingly, in true incompetent Amtrak style, there is ZERO mention of this major disruption on Amtrak's Service Disruption webpage- https://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices. The only CS related advisory is related to trackwork in Oregon which is a different problem than this curtailed sleeper-less service.
The advisory you posted is the root of the problems. The track work had a bus bridge working between two points. Then, part of the tunnel collapsed. UP (the host) announced several estimated dates of completion. None of them have come to fruition and as of yesterday, the outage is indefinite, with a continuous curfew.

This new operating plan was literally announced and the affected passengers are supposed to be notified. It may take a little more time to update the website.

Besides, I can't wait to see the announcement. I'm sure it will be a winner and these things take time.

"The Dining and Sleeping Cars normally assigned to the Coast Starlight will undergo maintenance"

"We regret the loss of services on the Coast Starlight during this outage but it'll be back stronger than ever. Wait until you see our new dining car menu. They love it out east!!"
So the Coast Daylight is back in a way.
default_wink.png

It could be worse. The southbound from Eugene to Sacramento is cancelled for a bunch of days next week. I am not leaving till July 1. I hope they have things straightened out by then and I don't need to get on a bus.

I assume the state of the trackage makes a detour over the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad (Siskiyou Pass Route/former Oregon and California Line) infeasible?

I assume the state of the trackage makes a detour over the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad (Siskiyou Pass Route/former Oregon and California Line) infeasible?
In the Central Oregon trackage, it is due to congestion (BNSF mainline out of K-Falls heading north), and as for the former SP Siskiyou Sub, it is due to track conditions, low speed limits, and clearance issues for Superliners. This is why the Cascades is unlikely to go to the People's Republic of Ashland.

Are those your quotes, or where did these quotes come from if they are not yours?

Are those your quotes, or where did these quotes come from if they are not yours?
sarcasm-tjx2hc.jpeg

Back