Silver Star: What to do for meals without Diner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know why the link doesn't work, but if you search for Silver-Star-Cafe-Menu-0417.pdf, that link shows up and works.
But isn't that from April 17. That might not be up to date.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that that was verified by some FB folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actual trip reports on this menu from forum members would be appreciated.
PennyK mentioned just a few posts up that she didn't remember seeing them offered in January.

I rode in February and didn't see anything offered either.

In my experience the Amtrak Cascades, Downeaster, and California trains (yes... all state sponsored... that's my point) offer better food options in the cafe car than the Silver Star currently offers.

In my experience the Amtrak Cascades, Downeaster, and California trains (yes... all state sponsored... that's my point) offer better food options in the cafe car than the Silver Star currently offers.
Is it correct that the state trains tend to locally source the cafe offerings? Sort of a state pride kind of thing? I know that the Downeaster has some local pastries and such, but not sure about the Cascades, CC, PacSurf, or SJ.

All three of the California routes offer local wines and beers. I wouldn't go so far as to describe the cafe food as local delicacies, but it's familiar Californian fare and better quality than you'll find in the Starlight's or Zephyr's cafe. I find the quality of the Capitol Corridor cafe service, food and overall experience better than the Starlight or Zephyr dining car. It's tops when they have a proper lounge car, but it's a superior product even when they're running a panic box.

Im not sure what the printed menu said, but that was not the available menu when I rode the star in February. If that is the same "layered veggie" salad I got on the Empire Service last summer its wayyyyy better than the Chicken Caesar salad that was the only salad option when I rode the Star.

Aren't there 'hot entrees' in the cafe cars on the other trains - just standard warmed up AmCrap served in a metal tube?

Aren't there 'hot entrees' in the cafe cars on the other trains - just standard warmed up AmCrap served in a metal tube?
What does that even mean? Any food on amtrak is "AmCrap"?

I'm not really sure if you were actually asking a question but in my personal observations the food on the Cascades and San Joaquin (Amtrak California) trains was much better than that served on the "National Menu." The macaroni and cheese on the Cascades, and the Burritos on the San Joaquin are both re-heated items. Years ago (could have changed) the oatmeal served on the cascades was prepared and served dining car style. Meaning it was ladeled from a pot into a bowl, and you were given a little cup with raisins and brown sugar. That's a big step up from adding hot water to a quaker cardboard cup like they do in the cafe car.

What does that even mean? Any food on amtrak is "AmCrap"?

I'm not really sure if you were actually asking a question but in my personal observations the food on the Cascades and San Joaquin (Amtrak California) trains was much better than that served on the "National Menu." The macaroni and cheese on the Cascades, and the Burritos on the San Joaquin are both re-heated items. Years ago (could have changed) the oatmeal served on the cascades was prepared and served dining car style. Meaning it was ladeled from a pot into a bowl, and you were given a little cup with raisins and brown sugar. That's a big step up from adding hot water to a quaker cardboard cup like they do in the cafe car.
I was asking if those 'hot entrees' listed on that are the same as I've seen on other standard cafe cars. I seem to recall (but could be wrong) that on my last NER trip, the same thing was listed on the Cafe menu.

As to the Cascades' bistro car, I believe they still serve the oatmeal the proper way, so I guess they haven't changed that.

It seems to be the overwhelming consensus of AUers who are also Amtrak customers, that the National Menu and Amcrap served in the Cafes takes a back seat to the State sponsored trains offerings!

Hopefully Mr Anderson and his Airline Executive team are aware of this and will work on upgrading this service ASAP!

I wouldn't even mind if all of the Full Service Diners were turned into Diner Lites on the Eastern,One Day/Night Trains if this was done.

First we kill all the Boardman bean counters that nicked and dimed the LD Trains, then start on the lawyers.LOL

It seems to be the overwhelming consensus of AUers who are also Amtrak customers, that the National Menu and Amcrap served in the Cafes takes a back seat to the State sponsored trains offerings!
Yep, I agree too. If the state-sponsored menu on the Downeaster were available nationally I'd be pretty happy.

I wonder if Anderson is willing to increase spending on the National Menus with so many in Congress wanting no food service. My US Senator doesn't see the benefit of passenger rail, my US Rep has not been against It, but also not an advocate. He is retiring so not sure what November will bring with many Reps retiring.

The cascades has a lot of locally sourced items as well. Let's not kid ourselves if Anderson finds out he will demand the state's go to the national network for equal but crappy service.

Rode the Silver Star in 2016 with my father. Basically we went shopping at Publix before we got on in Miami with a bunch of snacks, jerky, bananas etc. I think we were a little heavy on the sweet stuff and a little light on the meaty stuff but it worked decently. I think that's the best call.

I've ridden on Amtrak a bunch out east and west and so far I've only gotten off the train once for food. There's a long stop going west on the Southwest Chief and we got in early so I went to a Thai restaurant and ordered some takeout. I feel like otherwise stops are mostly too short or way late at night. Just came west on the Sunset Limited and there is a decent size stop in San Antonio and I considered getting off and snapping a few quick pics of the Alamo but was tired and just slept.

Back