Silver Star Platform Food

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPC

Service Attendant
I may be able to take the Silver Star(vation) on a business trip in a month or so. My question for those in the know: have any platform vendors/food trucks taken advantage of the missing diner to hawk their wares? Likely spots would be Richmond, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa. I'm thinking of an eastern equivalent to El Paso's Burrito Lady. Thanks in advance!

Orlando for train 91 (not 92). There is a hot dog stand on the platform.

Not Tampa. Richmond has a snack bar inside the station, but nothing on platform other than Orlando.

In my opinion, there isn't enough potential business to attract a dependable, quality trackside vendor. A station that only sees a single train, or even three trains, per day won't do it.

Something like this MIGHT work at busy Amtrak hubs like WAS, NYP, LAX, CHI, etc. but it's not really needed in those places.

I’ve always wondered could someone going south or north on 91/92 book a seat/room from south Florida to a point north of Lakeland. Get off at the first stop get lunch/dinner and get back on when it returns.

I’ve always wondered could someone going south or north on 91/92 book a seat/room from south Florida to a point north of Lakeland. Get off at the first stop get lunch/dinner and get back on when it returns.
That question has been asked here previously. When traveling to Tampa in February, I asked the conductor about the possibility of getting off and on the next time I traveled from Miami to Orlando on 92. The conductor said it would be fine as long as I informed the crew. When I traveled on 92 in March, I asked the crew and several crew members strongly discouraged me from doing it. I stayed on board and ate and drank in the cafe car.

Back