Silver Service Florida to BAL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
My wife and I are planning a trip from Florida to BAL in February. I went on line to start the booking process and noticed the red triangle stating that there is no dining car service available on the "Silver" trains. Somehow I missed hearing this news.

What's going on with the dining car on these trains?

There is no dining car on the Silver Star until the end of April. The Silver Meteor has a dining car.

Here is a link to a thread started last April about the Silver Star. There have been additional updates to that thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are planning a trip from Florida to BAL in February. I went on line to start the booking process and noticed the red triangle stating that there is no dining car service available on the "Silver" trains. Somehow I missed hearing this news.

For clarity, only the Silver Star is missing the full service diner car during the "experiment" which has been extended through the end of April. The Silver Meteor still has a regular dining car.

For clarity, only the Silver Star is missing the full service diner car during the "experiment" which has been extended through the end of April. The Silver Meteor still has a regular dining car.
Neither of the trains, Star or Meteor, have dining car service according to the Amtrak reservation website. Both show the "red" triangle which states,

"Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 - Dining Car Temporarily Removed, Resulting in Lower Cost Sleeping Accommodations Option Effective through April 30, 2016".
What meal service is thus provided?

Neither of the trains, Star or Meteor, have dining car service according to the Amtrak reservation website. Both show the "red" triangle which states,

"Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 - Dining Car Temporarily Removed, Resulting in Lower Cost Sleeping Accommodations Option Effective through April 30, 2016".
Only the Silver Star is without a diner. It only has a cafe car. The triangle for both trains is probably just a computer thing (that the computer cannot show it only for the Star).

Edit: If you did a BAL-SAV booking, you'll see they triangle for 89 (Palmetto) also. Try it for after 2/26/16 since 89 also has a service alert till then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither of the trains, Star or Meteor, have dining car service according to the Amtrak reservation website. Both show the "red" triangle which states, "Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 - Dining Car Temporarily Removed, Resulting in Lower Cost Sleeping Accommodations Option Effective through April 30, 2016".

The text you quoted specifically states the Silver Star 91 & 92 does not have the dining car.

Following the links from the red triangle, the complete explanation states "Passengers will continue to have the option of choosing traditional Dining Car service aboard the Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98), which operates along much of the Silver Star route. Dining Car meals aboard the Silver Meteor are included in the Sleeping Car upgrade charge."

They presumably included the warning triangle for the Meteor reservation so those deciding between the two trains would be provided the same information for both trains.

I hope not I paid regular fare for a ft Lauderdale to Baltimore trip on meoter in February.

I hope not I paid regular fare for a ft Lauderdale to Baltimore trip on meoter in February.
Not to worry. You will get regular meals in a regular dining car for your trip aboard the Meteor.

Neither of the trains, Star or Meteor, have dining car service according to the Amtrak reservation website. Both show the "red" triangle which states, "Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 - Dining Car Temporarily Removed, Resulting in Lower Cost Sleeping Accommodations Option Effective through April 30, 2016".

The text you quoted specifically states the Silver Star 91 & 92 does not have the dining car.

Following the links from the red triangle, the complete explanation states "Passengers will continue to have the option of choosing traditional Dining Car service aboard the Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98), which operates along much of the Silver Star route. Dining Car meals aboard the Silver Meteor are included in the Sleeping Car upgrade charge."

They presumably included the warning triangle for the Meteor reservation so those deciding between the two trains would be provided the same information for both trains.
Thanks for the correction. Apparently I wasn't paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back