Silver Meteor new Dining October 1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, am I understanding that the lunch and dinner options are the same?
Boy, I’m going to miss my veggie burger.
I always ordered the fish entree and always enjoyed it. So now if I want fish, I have to pick out the sausage???
I wonder if entrees will be changed seasonally.
We’ll be on the southbound Meteor sometime next month and surprisingly, I am excited to try the new options.

So, am I understanding that the lunch and dinner options are the same?
Boy, I’m going to miss my veggie burger.
I always ordered the fish entree and always enjoyed it. So now if I want fish, I have to pick out the sausage???
I wonder if entrees will be changed seasonally.
We’ll be on the southbound Meteor sometime next month and surprisingly, I am excited to try the new options.

I will admit the Cajun shrimp and sausage meal looks pretty good - as does the pasta and meatballs - I wish the latter was not just a kids meal!

Does anyone know if hot water for tea, broth, etc is available in Viewliner sleeper cars? I know they usually have coffee, juice, and ice across from the porter's room, but wondering if boiling water is dispensed there also...

Does anyone know if hot water for tea, broth, etc is available in Viewliner sleeper cars? I know they usually have coffee, juice, and ice across from the porter's room, but wondering if boiling water is dispensed there also...
No, hot water is not avaiable at the coffee station any more. Years ago, there was a hot water spigot, but those coffee machines have been replaced. Upon request, your attendant should get you a cup of hot water.
I am a tea drinker and was very disappointed when hot water was no longer easily availble. However, after October 1st on the Silver Meteor (and sometime in 2020 for the Silver Star), I believe it will be easier to get hot water from the sleeper lounge (as long as the LSA is there).

Starting in 2020 (likely first quarter), the Silver Star will have the new dining option (flexible dining), so at that time both the Silver Star and Silver Meteor will have the new dining option. Both trains will continue to have cafe cars.
Does that mean that the SS Sleepers will be same price and points as SM?

No, hot water is not avaiable at the coffee station any more. Years ago, there was a hot water spigot, but those coffee machines have been replaced. Upon request, your attendant should get you a cup of hot water.
I am a tea drinker and was very disappointed when hot water was no longer easily availble. However, after October 1st on the Silver Meteor (and sometime in 2020 for the Silver Star), I believe it will be easier to get hot water from the sleeper lounge (as long as the LSA is there).

Thank you- we have a workaround. Bought a collapsible (silicone) water boiler on Amazon- so we'll have boiling water for herbal tea, soup, hot chocolate, oatmeal, etc. Only about $11, using some points & a coupon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG89K5W/

I remember asking the porter to bring water from the dining car or cafe, and it was always lukewarm when I got it. We're also bringing an excellent self-inflating air mattress which rolls up very small for Mrs. News- she says this will make her 100% happier with the bed.....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYJ2NY7/

Thank you- we have a workaround. Bought a collapsible (silicone) water boiler on Amazon- so we'll have boiling water for herbal tea, soup, hot chocolate, oatmeal, etc. Only about $11, using some points & a coupon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG89K5W/

I remember asking the porter to bring water from the dining car or cafe, and it was always lukewarm when I got it. We're also bringing an excellent self-inflating air mattress which rolls up very small for Mrs. News- she says this will make her 100% happier with the bed.....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYJ2NY7/

I would be very careful plugging an electrical appliance into the roomette outlets. It is possible you could overload the circuit and cause all outlets in the car to go out.

I would be very careful plugging an electrical appliance into the roomette outlets. It is possible you could overload the circuit and cause all outlets in the car to go out.

At 820W, that's about ⅔ that of a blow-dryer, so I'm thinking the car can handle it. Though they (currently) are really old.... Now I'm going to wince and cringe when we turn it on, LOL.

At 820W, that's about ⅔ that of a blow-dryer, so I'm thinking the car can handle it. Though they (currently) are really old.... Now I'm going to wince and cringe when we turn it on, LOL.
Yeah, the 8 Amp or so current draw at 110V should not kill anything.

FWIW- i'm on the Silver Star right now, used it twice: works like a charm, and no circuits blown.

Oh, and our outlets say only "120 volts," nothing about razors only. However, the train is fairly uncrowded, so probably no one but us using high-draw electrics.

And one more thing (Columbo voice): the air mattress I linked to above is perfect. It is a near exact fit for the upper bunk, fully inflates with 5-10 breaths, and adds a nice layer of comfort, esp. for side sleepers. Rolls up tiny- highly recommended!

Last edited:
Reactions: jis
Starting in 2020 (likely first quarter), the Silver Star will have the new dining option (flexible dining), so at that time both the Silver Star and Silver Meteor will have the new dining option. Both trains will continue to have cafe cars.

Hi Penny, I have a Silver Meteor Roomette booked for mid March 2020 NYP to DLD and back (traveling alone and part of my vacation. I LOVE riding). Would rather do the Star southbound actually due to the earlier departure from NYP. I could switch now pretty easily (and save some cash) but I do really want to try this flexible dining out in preview for a summer trip I have with my wife and little one (we have a bedroom booked).

FWIW- i'm on the Silver Star right now, used it twice: works like a charm, and no circuits blown.

Oh, and our outlets say only "120 volts," nothing about razors only. However, the train is fairly uncrowded, so probably no one but us using high-draw electrics.

And one more thing (Columbo voice): the air mattress I linked to above is perfect. It is a near exact fit for the upper bunk, fully inflates with 5-10 breaths, and adds a nice layer of comfort, esp. for side sleepers. Rolls up tiny- highly recommended!

That air mattress might be perfect for train travel in a sleeper. Looks great in fact, and I like how small it packs when not in use. I highly doubt any serious backpacker would carry it to camp deep in the backcountry, tho, despite it being marketed for that purpose. It weighs over 4 lbs.! The sleeping pad I use is only 1 lb. 7 oz. My whole tent only weighs 3 lbs., my sleeping quilt 1 lb. 3 oz., backpack 2 lbs. 4 oz. When you're carrying it all on your person for 8-12 hours per day, every ounce counts.

https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-U...prefix=self-inflating+thermarest,sporting,148

Hi Penny, I have a Silver Meteor Roomette booked for mid March 2020 NYP to DLD and back (traveling alone and part of my vacation. I LOVE riding). Would rather do the Star southbound actually due to the earlier departure from NYP. I could switch now pretty easily (and save some cash) but I do really want to try this flexible dining out in preview for a summer trip I have with my wife and little one (we have a bedroom booked).
You may want to consider the Star from NYP and the Meteor for the return. You would get to experience the flexible dining on the Meteor and possibly on the Star. I have heard that it is possible that the dining car will return to the Star during the first quarter 2020, so you may get flexible dining both ways. I personally am looking forward to the dining car returning to the Star. I enjoy alternating between the Star and Meteor, but do not like taking the Star to NYP since it arrives so late.

We are on the Meteor next week. I assume there will still be a dining car that we can have our meals in correct? Can you hang out in the dining car? Is there also a lounge or cafe car?

We are on the Meteor next week. I assume there will still be a dining car that we can have our meals in correct? Can you hang out in the dining car? Is there also a lounge or cafe car?
If after October 1st, the dining car will be called a sleeper lounge. If you are in a sleeper, then you can hang out in the sleeper lounge.

I will be on the Silver Meteor next week also. Since I have food allergies, I am very concerned that I will not be able to eat any of the entrees. I will bring some food just in case. However, I will take advantage of the free alcoholic beverage. I plan to hang out in the sleeper lounge for a portion of my trip.

You may want to consider the Star from NYP and the Meteor for the return. You would get to experience the flexible dining on the Meteor and possibly on the Star. I have heard that it is possible that the dining car will return to the Star during the first quarter 2020, so you may get flexible dining both ways. I personally am looking forward to the dining car returning to the Star. I enjoy alternating between the Star and Meteor, but do not like taking the Star to NYP since it arrives so late.

Thanks. I think I will. I've asked around and would love your opinion. I can get a bedroom on the Star for only 140$-ish more than the roomette on the Meteor, if I act soon that is. I've done the bedrooms on the Auto Train before, but never alone. Always wanted to try a roomette, and they look amazingly comfy, especially for a solo traveler. But then agin I will be heavily jetlagged on the NYP to FL leg so having the room, personal shower etc appeals as well. I'll probably spring for the Star bedroom and do the roomette back. Thank you for your reply!

Thanks. I think I will. I've asked around and would love your opinion. I can get a bedroom on the Star for only 140$-ish more than the roomette on the Meteor, if I act soon that is. I've done the bedrooms on the Auto Train before, but never alone. Always wanted to try a roomette, and they look amazingly comfy, especially for a solo traveler. But then agin I will be heavily jetlagged on the NYP to FL leg so having the room, personal shower etc appeals as well. I'll probably spring for the Star bedroom and do the roomette back. Thank you for your reply!
I also travel alone and usually get a roomette on the Silvers and bedroom on the superliners since I want my own toilet. Every now and then, I will splurge and get a bedroom on a Silver (if the cost is reasonable). Enjoy your trip.

I also travel alone and usually get a roomette on the Silvers and bedroom on the superliners since I want my own toilet. Every now and then, I will splurge and get a bedroom on a Silver (if the cost is reasonable). Enjoy your trip.
I went ahead and switched to the Star bedroom. Booking early really saves! Hopefully I'll get lucky and get flex dining both ways but should know early enough to plan for cafe car and bringing my own stuff!

If after October 1st, the dining car will be called a sleeper lounge. If you are in a sleeper, then you can hang out in the sleeper lounge.

I will be on the Silver Meteor next week also. Since I have food allergies, I am very concerned that I will not be able to eat any of the entrees. I will bring some food just in case. However, I will take advantage of the free alcoholic beverage. I plan to hang out in the sleeper lounge for a portion of my trip.
Let us know the details when you can. Have a great trip.

I went ahead and switched to the Star bedroom. Booking early really saves! Hopefully I'll get lucky and get flex dining both ways but should know early enough to plan for cafe car and bringing my own stuff!
Does the Star bedroom upper berth lower down from the ceiling or fold down out of the wall and is there an upper window?

Does the Star bedroom upper berth lower down from the ceiling or fold down out of the wall and is there an upper window?
I've never taken the Star but it has the standard viewliner cars which do have the upper windows. My only bedroom experience until now is the Auto train Superliners.

I have only been on the upper berth in a Silver bedroom once. Yes, there is a window and I am pretty sure the upper berth lowers down from the ceiling like the roomette upper berths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back