Silver Meteor new Dining October 1

Discussion in 'Guest Forum for Amtrak Questions' started by dande, Sep 16, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Sep 16, 2019 #1

dande

d

dande

So we have the Silver Meteor booked for an overnight from Florida to NY next month and paid the extra premium for the dining car experience . Just got an email that dining is being changed, no more hot breakfast and what looks like a very limited dinner menu. WTH

2. Sep 17, 2019 #2

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

This dining change has been discussed in many threads for a while. I have 3 trips planned on the Silver Meteor in October and received 3 emails. My guess is that if I phoned Amtrak and wanted to switch to the Silver Star, they would permit it. However, even though I am not wild about the new menu, I like the idea of the Sleeper Lounge, unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and one alcoholic beverage. I believe the flexible meals are better than the cafe car offerings. The timing of the Meteor also works better for me - especially since on one trip, I will be connecting to a Chicago bound train.

I believe the breakfast sandwiches will be heated. If you are displeased, call Amtrak. I do not know if a "regular" telephone agent will be able to assist you with a refund or you will have to talk to Customer Relations.

3. Sep 17, 2019 #3

cocojacoby

c

cocojacoby

Service Attendant

4. Sep 18, 2019 #4

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

OBS Chief

In addition to the sandwich I think you can also ask the LSA to heat the oatmeals and maybe the hard boiled eggs too (just guessing on the eggs so might be off base there but I thought I had read someone’s trip report where they got the oatmeal heated.)

5. Sep 18, 2019 #5

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

Are hard boiled eggs able to be heated safely?

6. Sep 18, 2019 #6

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Probably not in a Microwave. But it can certainly be done in hot water. Been there done that.

7. Sep 18, 2019 #7

jimmrl

jimmrl

jimmrl

Train Attendant

I just had to google if you could nuke a hard boiled egg. You can but they can explode!!!!

They recommend to put in hot water as jis said.

8. Sep 18, 2019 #8

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Conductor

I didnt know anyone ate cold oatmeal!

9. Sep 18, 2019 #9

Qapla

Qapla

Qapla

Lead Service Attendant

Actually, if you cut a boiled egg in half and them zap it, it does not explode

10. Sep 18, 2019 #10

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

I make overnight oatmeal.

Combine oatmeal, milk, cinnamon and maple syrup, then put it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, take it out and eat!

Bob Dylan likes this.
  11. Sep 19, 2019 #11

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Good to hear from you Dave! You must have been on a Really Traveler type Trip!:p

12. Sep 19, 2019 #12

Sauve850

Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

Yes they will heat your oatmeal. Also will heat your blueberry muffin. I asked for some butter for the muffin but they had none:(

13. Sep 19, 2019 #13

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

A muffin without butter/margarine would be terrible!

14. Sep 19, 2019 #14

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

Would an Amtrak staff member in the newly oriented dining cars be able to do so?

15. Sep 19, 2019 #15

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

Lead Service Attendant

I have noticed that many people eat muffins without butter or margarine and some places serve muffins without butter or margarine. Maybe this is a new phenomenon as I don't recall it in years past. Maybe it is a diet thing.

16. Sep 19, 2019 #16

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

YUCK!

17. Sep 19, 2019 #17

JRR

J

JRR

OBS Chief

I got my notice about “ flexible dining” on the Crescent next month. They make a big point about getting “room service@ if you want it as if that wasn’t always an option.

18. Sep 19, 2019 #18

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

Lead Service Attendant

That is part of the Amtrak Newspeak. Downgrade the service and then point out some minor amenity or service that has always been there as if it was something brand new and very special.

Mystic River Dragon likes this.
  19. Sep 19, 2019 #19

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

Isn't that what they do commercially and call it a "health bar"? Except oof course for all the preservatives and corn syrup in lieu of the maple syrup.

That's because it will make it easier (once every customer is trained) to remove the "diner lounge", dump the tables in the cafe and use that space to heat the "fresh meals". Mark my words!

20. Sep 19, 2019 #20

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

OBS Chief

Yes I didn’t think about that with nuking a hard boiled - they do explode! So those are probably cold only. Is it convection oven or microwave in the viewliner diner galley?

21. Sep 19, 2019 #21

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

The whole point of this new dining service is to reduce staffing in the dining car. Food is cheap these days, the real savings is in not having to pay for a chef and waiters. However, if too many people show up in the diner/lounge to get their meals, the newly downsized staff might be overwhelmed, and there would be pressure to rehire at least one of the waiters. Thus, I suspect management would like to encourage a larger percentage of the passengers to use room service for their meals, as the meals are delivered by the SCA's and their labor costs are not part of the food and beverage account.

22. Sep 19, 2019 #22

dande

d

dande

What I don't understand is why they don't do it either one way or another. Both Silver Star and Silver Meteor have the new dining option or both trains have cafe cars

23. Sep 19, 2019 #23

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

Starting in 2020 (likely first quarter), the Silver Star will have the new dining option (flexible dining), so at that time both the Silver Star and Silver Meteor will have the new dining option. Both trains will continue to have cafe cars.

24. Sep 19, 2019 #24

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

I doubt it. However, hard boiled eggs that have a few slits cut in them can be safely nuked. But I doubt that they'd do that either in an Amtrak food service car.

25. Sep 20, 2019 #25

Sauve850

Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

I agree. Butter on a muffin is tasty. I was surprised they had no pads of butter. Everything else about breakfast was ok.