Signs about Anderson and Amtrak north of PHL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you referring to these signs?

upload_2019-10-15_19-31-13.jpeg upload_2019-10-15_19-31-26.jpeg

The signs are aimed at the thousands of train passengers who rumble each day through North Philadelphia—two banners 14 feet high by 26 feet wide, mounted outside an old package-sorting facility built in the heyday of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

The funniest thing the guy who put them up is literally the nicest guy you could hope to meet. He’s done a lot for Amtrak over the last few years. And he’s done a lot for just about anyone then Anderson messed with him. And look what happened.

The funniest thing the guy who put them up is literally the nicest guy you could hope to meet. He’s done a lot for Amtrak over the last few years. And he’s done a lot for just about anyone then Anderson messed with him. And look what happened.

Bennett Levin.... Is indeed one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I haven't talked to him in some time. But he is livid about the PV policy cause he was slated to run the E8's one last time to Altoona via the Harrisburg Line, and they (Amtrak) yanked it a week before the trip. Soon thereafter Mr. Levin posted the signs. Amtrak had actually made him cover them up, but the winter winds of Philly blew the covers off and he has refused to cover them back up.

Amtrak had actually made him cover them up, but the winter winds of Philly blew the covers off and he has refused to cover them back up.
If they are not on Amtrak property, how could they 'make' him cover them up? Perhaps some local sign restriction ordnance?

The standard Amtrak way I suppose. Threatening to make your life hard or a personal lawsuit for libel I bet.

None the less Amtrak’s best friend was converted into a bitter enemy because Anderson doesn’t know how to cross the divide between them

I had heard a rumor that Bennett was not planning to install any PTC on his E8s and hence that trip to Altoona was slated to be the last one. Did he change his mind and install PTC? I guess to run them on the NEC he would require ACSES and to run on freight roads would require I-ETMS too. That could be an expensive proposition, and can't even blame Amtrak for it. Or alternatively they could always be towed to some exempt piece of track and run them on their own power only on such trackage.

I’m not quite old enough to get into politics so when I saw those signs I was more focused on the equipment stored between the two than what they said or meant

I saw this post on trainorders:

A recent trains online post Indicated that Bennett Levin will not be installing PTC in his E units due to the cost. He estimated 100K per unit, which he said he couldn't justify for a few trips each year. This is going to be very detrimental to excursions in this country unless the FRA removes the restriction.

Back