Sightseer Lounge Orientation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the buffet area - which is before my train riding days

Is the buffet area to which you are referring the area where there was "once upon a time" a SA with a bar set-up?  If so, my memory says, yes.  I think that is the area.  Removing that service area and attendant saved Amtrak the cost of an employee.  But, doing so eliminated the convenience  of guests on the SSL's upper level obtaining a beverage or a snack item without having to negotiate the stairs to the lower level.  Trying to get a Bloody Mary up those steps, without spilling a quantity of the liquid, with one hand on the drink and one hand on the railing when the train is speeding/rocking along causes me to think--if I get my beverage to my seat close to intact--(that I hope someone else has not taken during my absence)--do I really want another one?    I have stated this previously on AU, but failing to staff that position on a SSL causes a loss of revenue that Amtrak would receive.  Would such revenue equal or exceed the cost of an employee?  Currently, obviously, Amtrak management believe staffing that position would be a net loss.  A net loss for Amtrak, perhaps, but at what cost for guest convenience?  

That only makes a difference on Superliner Is, though. The Superliner II Sightseer Lounges have two large divider panels in the middle of the car, which make it impossible to see anything out of the windows in the other half of the car. So if you’re on a SL-II with the tables at the back, and you are seated facing forward in one of the two rearmost, you will still get the same views as if those tables were in  front. Either way, you are only seeing out of the windows in the table section of the car.
Lounge car on my trip on No. 5 a few years back was No. 33014, a Superliner I car.  

That only makes a difference on Superliner Is, though. The Superliner II Sightseer Lounges have two large divider panels in the middle of the car, which make it impossible to see anything out of the windows in the other half of the car. So if you’re on a SL-II with the tables at the back, and you are seated facing forward in one of the two rearmost, you will still get the same views as if those tables were in  front. Either way, you are only seeing out of the windows in the table section of the car.
Lounge car on my trip on No. 5 a few years back was No. 33014, a Superliner I car.  
I just looked it up and there are 25 Superliner I and 15 Superliner II SSLs. So, putting aside the particular routes certain types are generally found on, you on average have a 62.5% chance at getting a SL-I, and I guess a 31.25% at a Superliner I SSL oriented the way you want it. :)

I just looked it up and there are 25 Superliner I and 15 Superliner II SSLs. So, putting aside the particular routes certain types are generally found on, you on average have a 62.5% chance at getting a SL-I, and I guess a 31.25% at a Superliner I SSL oriented the way you want it. :)
There certainly seems to be a prevailing custom from my recent observations of No. 4 of how these cars are oriented.  I have watched No. 4 on the Flagstaff webcam probably 20 days out of the last 30.  Every day that I observed, the lounge had the table section forward EXCEPT this morning when the seat section was forward.  I will keep a watch on this to see if the spell is broken. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There certainly seems to be a prevailing custom from my recent observations of No. 4 of how these cars are oriented.  I have watched No. 4 on the Flagstaff webcam probably 20 days out of the last 30.  Every day that I observed, the lounge had the table section forward EXCEPT this morning when the seat section was forward.  I will keep a watch on this to see if the spell is broken. 
I guess since the Chief’s consist isn’t normally taken apart or rearranged at its termini, it would make sense that the cars are going to be oriented in a certain direction until some other circumstance causes them to be reoriented. Unfortunately, that consist next passes through Flagstaff on Saturday, so we have a bit of a wait before we can see whether the SSL is staying with the seats forward.

For sure Chicago generally doesn't mess with the consist when it sits overnight from my observation.

Of course that goes the same for all of the LDs that run from there. When I sit in the yard for a week over by the river with a car. I've gotten good at deducing which train is which train based on its consist.

The Capitol Limited, Cardinal, and Lake Shore Limited same day turn in Chicago. I can't speak for the City of New Orleans but I believe from observation it does as well.

The others overnight in Chicago and head back out.

Here's a photo better depicting the Upper Level Food & Beverage station in the Superliner Lounge. 

1_zpB1LJFQWGt_TyGHfgLl6A.jpeg

I guess since the Chief’s consist isn’t normally taken apart or rearranged at its termini, it would make sense that the cars are going to be oriented in a certain direction until some other circumstance causes them to be reoriented. Unfortunately, that consist next passes through Flagstaff on Saturday, so we have a bit of a wait before we can see whether the SSL is staying with the seats forward.

No. 3 at Flagstaff last night had seats forward in the lounge so the tables forward spell on the Southwest Chief (if the spell really ever existed) has been broken.

Back