Sightseer Lounge Orientation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can recall, on most trains which have a sightseer lounge car, the table section of the car is toward the front of the train and the section in that car with the seats is toward the rear.  Is that correct?

I recall some trips where that was not correct, such as a trip on the Zephyr a few years back where the table section of the car was toward the rear.  I assume this was an exception and that no Amtrak trains regularly operate with the table section of the lounge car toward the rear.  

Superliners can be oriented in any direction, so it just comes down to whatever is most convenient at the yard. There is no particular preferred orientation for an SSL.

It is whatever is most convenient to the yard crew however out of my seven superliner trips here's the amount.

1. CL 30: Tables forward
2. CL 29: Seats Forward
3. CS 11: Seats Forward
4. CZ 5: Seats forward
5. EB 8/28: Seats Forward
6: CL 30: Tables Forward.

It is whatever is most convenient to the yard crew however out of my seven superliner trips here's the amount.

So that completely contrasts to what Rasputin has experienced. Sounds like there isn’t even a tendency one way or the other.

My experience: About 50/50 odds you'll be in one or the other. Doesn't really matter. The only thing I focus on is which SIDE of the SSL I'll shoot for if I know great scenery is upcoming on one side or the other. 

Thanks for all of the replies.  I am going to have to pay more attention on my trips.    

I can't recall which way they were on my trips on 7/27 a few years ago but I think they were seats forward.  My two trips on the Coast Starlight No.11 were tables forward.

My trips on 2, 3 and 4 in 2016, 2017 and 2018 have all been tables forward.  I have been watching 4 on the Flagstaff webcam many mornings over the past couple of months and they have all been tables forward on the days I have watched.  I don't watch 3 that often on the webcam but it was tables forward last night.  

I definitely remember that it was seats forward on No. 5 in 2014.  I can't recall what it was on the return trip on No. 6 that year.   

And naturally, when a Sightseer pinch hits on the Auto Train, like it has been doing at least in one consist this week, it is table forward in one direction and seat forward in the other. :cool:
I'm pretty sure the Sightseer occasionally used on the Auto Train has nothing but tables on the upper level.

cpotisch said:
I'm pretty sure the Sightseer occasionally used on the Auto Train has nothing but tables on the upper level.
It didn’t the one time I was on an Auto Train with a Sightseer. It was a standard Sightseer pinch hitting that day.

The other times I was on it, there was no Sightseer.

I have not taken it recently and am unlikely to take it any more, so I have no idea what happens now. It is just not suitable for the sort of trips I take up north and the tinting in my car windows would be considered illegal by NJ Cops anyway.

59 minutes ago, cpotisch said:
It didn’t the one time I was on an Auto Train with a Sightseer. It was a standard Sightseer pinch hitting that day.

The other times I was on it, there was no Sightseer.
Hmmm, that's pretty unusual. Auto Train normally uses those former diners with the round booths as Lounges, but will occasionally have that special SSL with only tables subbed in if a car is bad ordered (they chose that layout to handle overflow from the diners, if need be). It is not common at all for it to just use a standard SSL. :wacko:

If this comment is found to be offensive by anyone, I apologize before I post it.  But, what is the difference of the orientation of the SSL on any train?  Seated at a table?  Seated in a seat?  The views are the same.  

Perhaps the seats are diner side - so the pax can sit there while waiting to be called to the diner if they arrive early.   And the tables are coach side???  That's the way I remember it being an some trains I've taken. 

Perhaps the seats are diner side - so the pax can sit there while waiting to be called to the diner if they arrive early.   And the tables are coach side???  That's the way I remember it being an some trains I've taken. 
I don't quite see why passengers awaiting their seating in the diner would belong more in the seats/benches than the tables. Everything I'm seeing shows it as totally random.

I don't quite see why passengers awaiting their seating in the diner would belong more in the seats/benches than the tables. Everything I'm seeing shows it as totally random.
Just my guess - so as not to take up tables that people getting food from the cafe might want to use.  It's totally speculation on my part.  

If this comment is found to be offensive by anyone, I apologize before I post it.  But, what is the difference of the orientation of the SSL on any train?  Seated at a table?  Seated in a seat?  The views are the same.  
Usually it is not a big issue but I have sometimes been seated in the seat section and found myself looking over my shoulder or standing much of the time to see the "better" scenery on the other side of the car and all the seats on that side have been occupied.   

In a sightseer lounge car with the tables at the rear, I prefer to sit at a rear table facing forward because that allows a good view of the scenery on both sides of the car.  I found that was a great place to be on No. 5 leaving Denver but this is a matter of personal preference.

Usually it is not a big issue but I have sometimes been seated in the seat section and found myself looking over my shoulder or standing much of the time to see the "better" scenery on the other side of the car and all the seats on that side have been occupied.   

In a sightseer lounge car with the tables at the rear, I prefer to sit at a rear table facing forward because that allows a good view of the scenery on both sides of the car.  I found that was a great place to be on No. 5 leaving Denver but this is a matter of personal preference.
That only makes a difference on Superliner Is, though. The Superliner II Sightseer Lounges have two large divider panels in the middle of the car, which make it impossible to see anything out of the windows in the other half of the car. So if you’re on a SL-II with the tables at the back, and you are seated facing forward in one of the two rearmost, you will still get the same views as if those tables were in  front. Either way, you are only seeing out of the windows in the table section of the car.

That only makes a difference on Superliner Is, though. The Superliner II Sightseer Lounges have two large divider panels in the middle of the car, which make it impossible to see anything out of the windows in the other half of the car. So if you’re on a SL-II with the tables at the back, and you are seated facing forward in one of the two rearmost, you will still get the same views as if those tables were in  front. Either way, you are only seeing out of the windows in the table section of the car.
If you are seated in the table section you can generally see things on the left side of the car and on the right side of the car although there may be some other passengers in the way.  If you are seated at a seat you primarily see things only on one side of the car.  At least that is how it works for me. 

If you are seated in the table section you can generally see things on the left side of the car and on the right side of the car although there may be some other passengers in the way.  If you are seated at a seat you primarily see things only on one side of the car.  At least that is how it works for me. 
I’m not disputing that. You had said that you like the tables to be at the rear because you can get the best view at a rearmost forward-facing table. What I’m saying is that because of the dividers in a SL-II, in those cars you will get the same views with the tables in the front as when they are in the back, because those divider panels block your ability to see anything out of the windows in the seat/bench side. In either orientation, you are only looking out the windows of your half of the car.

In a sightseer lounge car with the tables at the rear, I prefer to sit at a rear table facing forward because that allows a good view of the scenery on both sides of the car. I found that was a great place to be on No. 5 leaving Denver but this is a matter of personal preference.

If you are seated at a seat you primarily see things only on one side of the car.
That's the reason I try very hard to obtain one of those single seats that are angled and not just facing only one side of the car.  

I don't recall seeing any dividers that have been mentioned being in the SSL-II cars.  Maybe I have not experienced that piece of equipment?

If you are seated at a seat you primarily see things only on one side of the car.
That's the reason I try very hard to obtain one of those single seats that are angled and not just facing only one side of the car.  

I don't recall seeing any dividers that have been mentioned being in the SSL-II cars.  Maybe I have not experienced that piece of equipment?
They’re grey, and are seen near the back in this photo, though the one on the right is only just peaking out:

superlinerint3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re grey, and are seen near the back in this photo, though the one on the right is only just peaking out:

I really don't remember seeing this in any SSL on which I have traveled.  I now understand the comments about how they hinder one's views.  Thanks for posting this photo!

I really don't remember seeing this in any SSL on which I have traveled.  I now understand the comments about how they hinder one's views.  Thanks for posting this photo!
Looks like the buffet area - which is before my train riding days.

I consider myself a rail fan and am a reasonably well-traveled Amtrak customer...but I can honestly say that I have never paid the least bit of attention to which part of the SSL is in the "front."  Definitely not something I'd keep track of. Bless you all. :blink: :cool:

Back