Shipping items

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfmom

Train Attendant
Does anyone know if you can ship things on Amtrak from Seattle to Milwaukee? If you can what is the cost?

Does anyone know if you can ship things on Amtrak from Seattle to Milwaukee? If you can what is the cost?
From Amtrak's Web Site:

Amtrak Express Shipping

Ship with Amtrak

We offer small package and less-than-truckload shipping services between more than 100 cities.

For information regarding rates, schedules and permitted articles, call 1-800-377-6914 (8:30 am - 8 pm ET, Monday through Friday). Only shipping information is available at this telephone number. For other customer inquiries, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Note: New York Penn Station does not originate Amtrak Express (or human remains) shipments. This station only receives such shipments originating at other Amtrak stations. The Newark, NJ station provides full Amtrak Express services.

Kinds of Shipping Services Offered

Small Package Shipments

• Weight limit for each item: 50 lbs (23 kg)
  • Size limit for each item: 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft
    (90 cm by 90 cm by 90 cm)
  • Weight limit for each shipment: 500 lbs (227 kg)

Heavy and Commercial Shipments

Many major stations handle pallets and packages.

• Individual pallets of up to 500 lbs (227 kg)
  • Weight limit for each non-palletized item: 50 lbs (23 kg)
  • Size limit for each non-palletized item: 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft (90 cm by 90 cm by 90 cm)
  • Weight limit for each shipment: 500 lbs (227 kg)

Bicycles

Regular bicycles, tandem bicycles and unicycles may be shipped on Amtrak Express. Bikes must be securely packed in a box; you may bring your own box or purchase one at the station (call ahead for details and to make sure that boxes are available). Bicycles are generally exempt from Amtrak Express size requirements. Learn more about Bringing Your Bicycle Onboard.

Human Remains

Amtrak Express offers station-to-station shipment of remains to many express cities. At most stations, funeral directors must provide staff to load and unload the remains onto and off the train. The level of assistance required must be confirmed with the local Amtrak station agent at the origin and destination points.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

I looked into the Amtrak Express last month and posted the results elsewhere. Here are the prices I got for PHL-MSP, a shorter distance than your city pair.

up to 100 lbs: flat $55

each pound over: an additional 52 cents

Number of boxes has nothing to do with price, just limited to 500 pounds per day and the 50 pound per box limit. I have not actually made a shipment yet so have no first hand experience.

That...actually sounds reasonable for heavier packages (i.e. closing in on 100 lbs), though for lighter things not so much. It's just a higher minimum than I'm used to seeing, though.

I just wish there wasn't the 3x3x3 restriction. I need to ship a crib from WIL to SLC. :(

The shipping service works well: I use it occasionally. It's especially helpful if you don't have a reliable reception address in the arrival city, as the package is held for you at the station — and if you also travel by train, you generally know where that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back