Service disruption on #30 (4/30), Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CSX managed to derail a freight in the mddle of Washington DC on the approach to Union Station from the west (route of the Cap). The derailment near the Rhode Island Avenue WMATA station, and involves fluids leaking from several cars. I understand Metro Red Line service is also suspended through that area with a bus bridge being put in place between NOMA and Brookland.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/csx-train-derails-in-ne-dc/162934010

So it is unlikely that the Cap will make it to Union Station today or leave from Union Station for that matter, unless of course they can figure out some ingenious diversion.

Possibilities would appear to include turning somewhere short of its destination with bus bridge to Washington. Likely candidate location for turning is probably Cumberland. It is currently standing stationary at Cumberland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Engineer. That was my first hunch too; but (i) it seems inefficient to send a bus up to Cumberland and back, instead of (say) Harper's Ferry or Shady Grove....in fact, the latter choice would let a lot of passengers finish their journey by Metro, which many would prefer; and (ii) I see on Amtrak status that Northeast Corridor trains seem to be unaffected, at least by now (11 a.m.).

But although I take both trains, Capitol Limited and Northeast Corridor, fairly often, I'm embarrassingly uncertain where they diverge north of Union Station. It's possible that only the C.L. is affected.

They need a place to turn the train around, so I suspect Cumberland is the closest place to DC to do that since that's what Jis suggested and the fact that that's where it stopped.

It looked like it was west of the NEC tracks but not far from the Ivy City yards.

Indeed! I am wondering what routing they might have found to get it to DC.

A possible routing is to take the left leg of the wye at Point of Rocks and then go through Ellicot City to Relay, and then reverse from there on the Camden Line to Washington Union Station. We'll see.

30 is on the move east. I wonder if it has passengers still aboard...
Yes, for now.

They need a place to turn the train around, so I suspect Cumberland is the closest place to DC to do that since that's what Jis suggested and the fact that that's where it stopped.

It looked like it was west of the NEC tracks but not far from the Ivy City yards.
62005472.jpg

:ph34r:

30 is on the move east. I wonder if it has passengers still aboard...
Yes, for now.

62005472.jpg

:ph34r:
The force is strong with this one. <_<

The Point of Rocks/Relay reroute also occurred to me, but I don't know whether there are other problems, such as clearance for Superliners.

If this route is chosen, it would be truly rare mileage for the train and the passengers. This is the B&O's "Old Main Line", first surveyed in the 1820's and forming part of the country's first common carrier mainline. The Metropolitan Branch serving Washington was built later.

Tom

There is a tunnel under Parr's Ridge in Mount Airy (I grew up there), but I'm not sure what the clearance is. It'd be a long train ride, be faster to just transfer to busses at Point of Rocks and turn the train there.

#30 arrived at Harper's Ferry a few minutes ago. Track-a-Train is not showing estimated arrival for Rockville or WAS (it had shown estimated arrival for Harper's Ferry), so my guess is that it's not going any further east.

Indeed, according to reports elsewhere, busing is happening, from/to Point of Rocks today, with the consist turning there.
The consist is apparently deadheading west to PGH where it will meet the buses for 29.

Good ol' Crash Spill eXplode at work again I see.
Was wondering who would post this first. :D Guess Acela150 slept in this morning. :p
Yuppppp Slept in today.. Like major slept in.. Took the dog out at 1130 this morning and woke up for good at 315.. :eek:

Crash Spill Xplode is legit in this case... considering the local ABC affiliate reported the train made a Haz Mat spill..

The Point of Rocks/Relay reroute also occurred to me, but I don't know whether there are other problems, such as clearance for Superliners.

If this route is chosen, it would be truly rare mileage for the train and the passengers. This is the B&O's "Old Main Line", first surveyed in the 1820's and forming part of the country's first common carrier mainline. The Metropolitan Branch serving Washington was built later.

Tom
No problems as far as clearance, we've detoured over the Old Main Line to Bailey's in Baltimore and ran back down the Capital Sub to Washington with Superliners before.

Good ol' Crash Spill eXplode at work again I see.
Was wondering who would post this first. :D Guess Acela150 slept in this morning. :p
Yuppppp Slept in today.. Like major slept in.. Took the dog out at 1130 this morning and woke up for good at 315.. :eek:

Crash Spill Xplode is legit in this case... considering the local ABC affiliate reported the train made a Haz Mat spill..
I prefer Crash Smash eXplode, but I figured a little adaption wouldn't work. :p

As I said, I don't pretend to know about the physical limitations of running the train via the Old Main Line. Turning the consist at Point of Rocks is certainly possible, but does not address the need to clean the cars, refuel and service locomotives, and restock the train. These can all be accomplished much more efficiently if the consist can be gotten into Washington.

If it were up to me, I think I'd get the passengers off the train and bus them from Point of Rocks. Then get the consist to Washington via the Old Main Line as quickly as possible for the most efficient servicing and restocking. I would run today's westbound 29 via the Old Main Line and try to make up time on the road, and hope that the Metropolitan Branch can be cleared in time to run that way tomorrow.

There may be reasons this is not a practical plan. I'm curious to see what solution they actually come up with.

Tom

That's good to know, my dream of a Cap, Old Main, Met triangle excursion is alive. :D
This should be workable, especially if the excursion originates and terminates in Baltimore. There is no wye at Relay, so turning there would involve a reverse move. Your problem would be talking CSX into it.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back