Septa sprinters

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks very nice. Also, it seems to be leading that nice consist you don't see much (not the newest cars, and I don't think the oldest ones?) I rode in one once and it was also very nice--are they bringing them back? Or was this just a coincidence that it was being used with the new Sprinter?

It looks very nice. Also, it seems to be leading that nice consist you don't see much (not the newest cars, and I don't think the oldest ones?) I rode in one once and it was also very nice--are they bringing them back? Or was this just a coincidence that it was being used with the new Sprinter?
Those are SEPTA Is. They were built in 1987 and are the second oldest unpowered car type in the SEPTA fleet.

Thanks for the information, cpotisch.

They are also more comfortable than the oldest ones and just plain nice to ride in. I only rode in one once--I ride SEPTA a lot, but never had been in one before til my cousin visited from CT and we went to Philly. Wouldn't you know, the one time she rides SEPTA, we get those lovely coaches, and she's not even a train person and just took it for granted!
default_tongue.png

Thanks, Acela150.

So my cousin and I got even luckier than I thought, because we were on the Trenton line, which of course rarely gets the nicest stuff. She just took it for granted, too. I said how lovely it was to be in one of these cars and she said, "Yes, it's fine, Patty" in a sort of "What's the big deal?" tone.
default_tongue.png

Thanks, Acela150.

So my cousin and I got even luckier than I thought, because we were on the Trenton line, which of course rarely gets the nicest stuff. She just took it for granted, too. I said how lovely it was to be in one of these cars and she said, "Yes, it's fine, Patty" in a sort of "What's the big deal?" tone.
default_tongue.png
That's always the response I get when I ask a non-railfan what they think of any train.

So now that the Sprinters are in service, are the AEM-7s and sole ALP-44 done for?
As of today 6 Sprinters are in service and 6 of the 7 AEM-7's and ALP-44 are stored serviceable in case anything arises. I believe that 2302 is a write off as it needs a new air compressor. Which makes zero sense to replace when you have brand new motors coming online.

So now that the Sprinters are in service, are the AEM-7s and sole ALP-44 done for?
As of today 6 Sprinters are in service and 6 of the 7 AEM-7's and ALP-44 are stored serviceable in case anything arises. I believe that 2302 is a write off as it needs a new air compressor. Which makes zero sense to replace when you have brand new motors coming online.
Well that's a shame. After Amtrak retired their AEM-7s, I had been hoping I'd be able to see a MARC or SEPTA unit before they were all retired, but I guess not.
default_sad.png

Back