Septa says "Farewell" to their AEM-7's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the Lancaster and Chester. Quite a interesting shortline with a unit grain grain, six axle power, and various other engines. They used to have a PV rebuild shop too.

And how do you propose Septa go about that? They don't have a reservations system. The same reason that NJT sold tickets for the ACES Service through Amtrak. 
Well, SEPTA did require "Papal Passes" during the 2015 papal visit, which weren't quite the same as reservations, but were a form of capping riders. Had they wanted, SEPTA could have easily created an AEM-7 excursion ticket and offered it for sale at their existing ticket outlets. You don't need a reservations system to do that.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, cpotisch said:

I don’t think any AUers went, but I did find this video of it:

Ha ha, it sounds like one of the foamers didn't get the shot they wanted. Did you hear the guy at 0:04 call the photog in front of him a nasty name before stomping off?

I really wanna know what the guy who blurted out an expletive was thinking was gunna happen. It's a fan trip and it's Paoli. Paoli is not railman friendly and even more so these days with the current work going on there. 

I'm surprised that they didn't actually say it was free anywhere. I'm sure there are plenty of people who interpreted the open-ended nature of that webpage as implying that it was the standard fare or more, and therefore didn't ride. Well done, SEPTIC.

I guess he thought the guy was going to move. Well, that is the operation of the AEM-7DC and unless something dramatic occurs, we've seen the last of the ALP-44s in operation.

Well, at least we'll have a few years of AEM-7AC operation out west.

I guess SEPTA kept them blue carded.  Typically when equipment gets retired it is towed with their replacement or diesel.  Cool to see an AEM-7 leading the consist.

Last edited by a moderator:
As TR has mentioned, Septa has leased the AEM-7's and lone ALP to NJT for now. 6 of the 7 AEM-7's went. 2302 is being used as a parts goat and has lost it's pans and a lot of other parts. 2302 was the first to be taken OOS due to Air Compressor Issues IIRC. 

As TR has mentioned, Septa has leased the AEM-7's and lone ALP to NJT for now. 6 of the 7 AEM-7's went. 2302 is being used as a parts goat and has lost it's pans and a lot of other parts. 2302 was the first to be taken OOS due to Air Compressor Issues IIRC. 
So will NJT be using them instead of ALP-46s on certain trains?

Back