Self Transfer ticket eliminated

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DowneasterPassenger

Lead Service Attendant
I picked up tickets for a trip from Portland Maine to Philadelphia with a Downeaster segment both ways, and was surprised to be handed only two tickets. The notorious self-transfer ticket (no value, no points) from BON to BBY was eliminated, the ticket agent said. This ticket was always a strange item and probably confusing to many first time riders. I suppose someone finally fixed the glitch in the Amtrak reservation system so that now the Downeaster is "connected" to the rest of Amtrak?

(The tickets were also printed on the new thinner ticket stock).

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up tickets for a trip from Portland Maine to Philadelphia with a Downeaster segment both ways, and was surprised to be handed only two tickets. The notorious self-transfer ticket (no value, no points) from BON to BBY was eliminated, the ticket agent said. This ticket was always a strange item and probably confusing to many first time riders. I suppose someone finally fixed the glitch in the Amtrak reservation system so that now the Downeaster is "connected" to the rest of Amtrak?

(The tickets were also printed on the new thinner ticket stock).
Just yesterday I was in the Hammond, LA depot. Amtrak had the agent package up 9,000 of the old stock and ship them off to wherever;probably to come back from China as menus. As far as the Downeaster~ an insider at Amtrak did admit that since the Downeaster is one of the few non-platform to platform or in station transfers they were getting a ton of complaints from pax. Contrary to some posts, not ALL pax were getting the dummy tix~ mostly AGR travelers were NOT~ and some tried to hoof it from Back Bay with mega-luggage.

Probably best that those in the know get off at Back Bay and the unknowing cab it from BOS.Personally, I think it would be wise for the res agents to remind the pax that they need to self transfer at BOS or BBY.

I agree, Jay!

I would guess that most "non-knowing" passengers would "guess" that to get from "Boston - South Station" to "Boston - North Station" would be logical. They may not know that the "T" runs directly from Back Bay to North Station! (They do not have to change lines, and the Orange Line's platform is only 100 feet or so from Amtrak's platform at Back Bay.)

From what I heard, all of the blue ticket stock went to New York Penn because that station goes through so many tickets, the hope is that they'll exhaust the nationwide supply by year's end so that it all gets flushed out of the system :lol:

it all gets flushed out of the system :lol:
Now I know why all those toilets on the trains stop working in the mountains! Amtrak is trying to FLUSH out the old ticket stock!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back