Seat Allocation (advance seat selection?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Australia and have a ticket from LA to New Orleans

I fly into LA at 8am and that the train 10pm on the same day.

Can I get a seat allocation before so I get a good scenic seat on the top level?

Ross M

You can not choose a specific seat before. That said, you will have chosen either an upper or lower level seat when you booked, so make sure you went with the former. When you board, the crew will definitely assign you to a specific car, but may or may not assign a specific seat (if they don't, it's first come first served). The Sunset tends not to run full of LA though, so you've got very good odds at a window seat. Worst comes to worst, even if you do end up with an aisle seat, you can just spend your time in the Sightseer Lounge.

Also, MAKE SURE you don't ever sit down in last two cars of the train (one coach and one sleeper), since those will split off from the rest of the train in San Antonio to continue on to Chicago instead. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a roomette and you will have a pre assigned space. ;)

That is a LONG trip in coach.   I cannot imagine torture worse than that. ;)    I have been in coach over night and I could not stand it.   Can't imagine multiple nights. Especially if it is crowded.

Get a roomette and you will have a pre assigned space. ;)

That is a LONG trip in coach.   I cannot imagine torture worse than that. ;)    I have been in coach over night and I could not stand it.   Can't imagine multiple nights. Especially if it is crowded.
The accommodation charge for a low bucket Roomette from LAX to NOL is $263. That means a minimum $263 to upgrade if the OP has a low bucket Value seat, but it could be much less than that or much more than that depending on their current fare type and bucket.

1@Rossmortimore[/USER] Would you be willing to consider getting a Roomette if you felt that the benefits were worth it, or is that just not within your budget?

Back