Screamers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoTrDvr

OBS Chief
No, not the uncontrollable kids on the AT! :D In this case, the "locomotive."

I'm referring, of course, to the F40, one of Amtrak's old workhorses (as well as MBTA, NJ Transit, Chicago's METRA, etc.). Originally called "screamers"

due to the high pitched and constant HEP.

But it seems now, most have been converted to something else (NJ Transit converted to CAT HEP for its F40PH2s). Not the same anymore.

I miss the old "screamers."

Does anyone know if there remains any originals (unconverted) in service today?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm referring, of course, to the F40, one of Amtrak's old workhorses (as well as MBTA, NJ Transit, Chicago's METRA, etc.). Originally called "screamers"

But it seems now, most have been converted to something else (NJ Transit converted to CAT HEP for its F40PH2s). Not the same anymore.

I think the three the Grand Canyon Railway has are pretty close to the build standard, but I've never actually seen one. Those were PHRs.

The MBTA still has 17 of its original, unmodified F40PH units in active service, complete with screaming HEP. I believe they are usually used on the North Station commuter rail lines.

You can see the full roster here.

The MBTA still has 17 of its original, unmodified F40PH units in active service, complete with screaming HEP. I believe they are usually used on the North Station commuter rail lines.

Thanks. I remember being on the "Lowell" line, once.

Tri-Rail still had one or two unconverted units last time I visited in 2008. They may have all been converted by now. I seem to remember that the unconverted unit(s) had the ability to provide standby HEP at a reduced throttle position for trains laying over between trips.

Thanks. I remember being on the "Lowell" line, once.
You're welcome. The Lowell line is one of the North Statin lines that sees these locomotives.

If you want to see them in service, act fast, as their replacements have been ordered and will arrive next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back