Roomette vs. Superliner bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, this is a pointless argument! You can ONLY ride a Viewliner if you're going Eastbound and ONLY ride Superliner if you're going Westbound. Why argue and make snooty remarks to those who don't book "roomette with bathroom" if those said people aren't traveling that direction? Dumb- just dumb.
What??!! Viewliners are used on trains in the eastern US where clearances don't allow Superliners. A train is either equipped with Viewliner equipment or Superliner equipment, regardless of the direction it is traveling. Dumb? Well, not knowing facts before calling someone dumb is a bit beyond dumb.
You're wrong dear. What you said makes no sense. Viewliners are ONLY eastbound trains! Superliners go Westbound. I don't care if a train is equipped for a Viewliner or not- that wasn't the point I was making.

A lot of people get into arguments on whether or not to get a Viewliner or Superliner Roomette. I AM saying- this is a pointless discussion, because it depends where the person is traveling. Don't believe me? Go to Amtrak's website and put in a trip going Westbound- you won't find ANY Viewliner trains.

People are being quick to call me rude, but look at the evidence and responses I have to put up with.
I have traveled westbound from WAS to CHI in a Viewliner bedroom on the Cardinal and westbound from NYP to CHI in Viewliner roomettes and bedrooms on the Lakeshore Limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, this is a pointless argument! You can ONLY ride a Viewliner if you're going Eastbound and ONLY ride Superliner if you're going Westbound. Why argue and make snooty remarks to those who don't book "roomette with bathroom" if those said people aren't traveling that direction? Dumb- just dumb.
What??!! Viewliners are used on trains in the eastern US where clearances don't allow Superliners. A train is either equipped with Viewliner equipment or Superliner equipment, regardless of the direction it is traveling. Dumb? Well, not knowing facts before calling someone dumb is a bit beyond dumb.
You're wrong dear. What you said makes no sense. Viewliners are ONLY eastbound trains! Superliners go Westbound. I don't care if a train is equipped for a Viewliner or not- that wasn't the point I was making.

A lot of people get into arguments on whether or not to get a Viewliner or Superliner Roomette. I AM saying- this is a pointless discussion, because it depends where the person is traveling. Don't believe me? Go to Amtrak's website and put in a trip going Westbound- you won't find ANY Viewliner trains.

People are being quick to call me rude, but look at the evidence and responses I have to put up with.
Jeez, how stupid are you? Lakeshore Limited, for example, runs Viewliner and Amfleet both east and west bound, and the California Zephyr, again for example, runs Superliners both eastbound and westbound.

The discussions are not whether or not to take a Viewliner or Superliner roomettes, on any given route there is not choice, but rather the relative merits of each.

Ah, well. As they say, you can't fix stupid.

Well, I don't know what kind of train I'm on, other than Amtrak, but I have decided to keep the bedroom. Sorry my question turned into a battle. It's easy to be misunderstood on the Internet. I'm looking forward to the trip, which is west to east on the EB, if that matters. This trip doesn't happen for another month, but I'll return with my report. Thanks for everyone's help.

Don't worry, Anne - not your fault at all.

We've got a troublemaker hanging around making life difficult for all parties.

I'm glad we were able to cut through the mess and get you the advice you needed.

Perhaps someone can give Anne a link to the Superliner layouts & virtual tours. I'm on my iPod right now or I would do it.

Perhaps someone can give Anne a link to the Superliner layouts & virtual tours. I'm on my iPod right now or I would do it.
Great idea. I have them bookmarked at work but not at home, unfortunately. Strange...

Well, I don't know what kind of train I'm on, other than Amtrak, but I have decided to keep the bedroom. Sorry my question turned into a battle. It's easy to be misunderstood on the Internet. I'm looking forward to the trip, which is west to east on the EB, if that matters. This trip doesn't happen for another month, but I'll return with my report. Thanks for everyone's help.
Anne,

Welcome to the board! You will be riding in Superliner, which has two floors. Your bedroom will be upstairs, to the left. If you want to know which one, they are labeled from the Coffee Station, starting with E, and working backwards from there, ending with A. Please don't post which bedroom! I think it is a great choice going for the bedroom in your situation. The Roomette would be okay, but since there is much more room, I think you and your Grandchild will have an even better time. It's great having the bathroom right in the room, saves a lot of steps. Here is a link that shows the bedroom and the roomettes. Enjoy! http://www.kaemena360.com/home/long-distance-trains-2/amtrak-superliner.html Have a great trip, and please post a trip report!

Here's a link to the Superliner & Viewliner car diagrams:

http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Anne - you didn't cause any problems or arguments - as Ryan said, there's someone on here who thinks he's being funny.

And Aunty - PLEASE stop. You're confusing the newbies and annoying everybody else. It's not funny. Believe me, I know all about not being funny, and you're not funny.

Thank you Sunchaser and DP Roberts for the links. They were extremely helpful. And thanks again to everyone who answered my post. I think I made the right decision for me and my granddaughter.

So you are saying if I am heading westbound on the LSL I am riding in a superliner. Boy do you have some learning to do. Last time I looked, just two weeks ago, there are ONLY Viewliners going westbound on the Lake Shore Limited and westbound on all NEC trains. But geez, visually sitting in a viewliner westbound must be a dream. Give it a rest.

You're wrong dear. What you said makes no sense. Viewliners are ONLY eastbound trains! Superliners go Westbound. I don't care if a train is equipped for a Viewliner or not- that wasn't the point I was making. A lot of people get into arguments on whether or not to get a Viewliner or Superliner Roomette. I AM saying- this is a pointless discussion, because it depends where the person is traveling. Don't believe me? Go to Amtrak's website and put in a trip going Westbound- you won't find ANY Viewliner trains. People are being quick to call me rude, but look at the evidence and responses I have to put up with.
So you are saying if I am heading westbound on the LSL I am riding in a superliner. Boy do you have some learning to do. Last time I looked, just two weeks ago, there are ONLY Viewliners going westbound on the Lake Shore Limited and westbound on all NEC trains. But geez, visually sitting in a viewliner westbound must be a dream. Give it a rest.
Actually the Lake Shore Limited only goes northeast. To New York and Boston and Chicago. Where on the amtrak site does it have a westbound run? Maybe you need to do some research before correcting others.

You're wrong dear. What you said makes no sense. Viewliners are ONLY eastbound trains! Superliners go Westbound. I don't care if a train is equipped for a Viewliner or not- that wasn't the point I was making. A lot of people get into arguments on whether or not to get a Viewliner or Superliner Roomette. I AM saying- this is a pointless discussion, because it depends where the person is traveling. Don't believe me? Go to Amtrak's website and put in a trip going Westbound- you won't find ANY Viewliner trains. People are being quick to call me rude, but look at the evidence and responses I have to put up with.
Actually the Lake Shore Limited only goes northeast. To New York and Boston and Chicago. Where on the amtrak site does it have a westbound run? Maybe you need to do some research before correcting others.
In order to go from Boston to Chicago, the train must run Westbound. Can't get there by going east. Trains don't swim very well.

In order to go from Boston to Chicago, the train must run Westbound. Can't get there by going east. Trains don't swim very well.
:giggle: Alan.

Helen,

You can either be respectful or you can leave!

Amtrak advertises it as an Eastern train, as in east of the Mississippi; not an eastbound train. There is a difference, one that Auntie Gail failed to appreciate. She kept calling it an eastbound train. It is only an eastbound train when going from Chicago to points east. But from points east to Chicago, it is a westbound train!

Thats the point I was making. I'm well aware westbound trains are super liners and east bound are view liners.

Last edited:
Thats the point I was making. I'm well aware westbound trains are super liners and east bound are view liners.
Only if the entire country is Chicago, and directions from Chicago are the only directions. So if you are so challenged that you cannot imagine someone originating their journeys somewhere other than Chicago, well, enjoy your meds.
If don't think that Chicago is the only place in the country, then you don't know the difference between the simple English words "Eastern" and "Eastbound", which really doesn't speak any better for you. .

And the point that I'm making is that you are wrong! All Western trains are Superliners (one word) and most, but not all, eastern trains have Viewliner sleepers. The rest of the eastern trains are Amfleets, not Viewliners.

But Eastern is not the same thing as eastbound. Eastern means east of some point. Eastbound means that you are going east. A train leaving LA tonight headed to Chicago is a Western zone train headed east! Do you understand the difference?

And once again, let me say that the Lake Shore Limited going to Chicago is a westbound train. Yes, it is in the eastern half of the country, but it is nonetheless a westbound train. You cannot get to Chicago from NY & Boston without going westbound!

And, of course, all the Superliners are piling up at West Coast terminals and all the Viewliners are piling at the East Coast terminals, with no way to return, and no way to run trains the other direction. I knew Amtrak had problems, but that is one heck of an equipment management issue. Boy, I bet Mica is really going to blow a gasket when he finds out!

Wait! I know! Let's run trains both directions! And we can put passengers on them too! Let's do that!

Amtrak advertises lake shore limited as an east bound train. Go to the site! It's there in plain English. The way you speak then all trains are westbound. And I love that you keep deleting certain things I say because you're protecting your favorite posters on here. I'm allowed to defend myself when someone attacks me.

Amtrak advertises lake shore limited as an east bound train. Go to the site! It's there in plain English. The way you speak then all trains are westbound. And I love that you keep deleting certain things I say because you're protecting your favorite posters on here. I'm allowed to defend myself when someone attacks me.
I'm deleting all posts that have cursing in them Helen. Guess you didn't bother to notice.

And Amtrak's site says "Northeast Train Routes", here's the link http://www.amtrak.com/northeast-train-routes. Go look for yourself, it does NOT say eastbound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back