Roomette too small for 2 kids?

Discussion in 'Guest Forum for Amtrak Questions' started by Amy H, Mar 30, 2016.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1

Amy H

A

Amy H

First time train traveler so pardon my ignorance. Im traveling alone with my 2 daughters from South Florida to NYC. Was thinking of getting a roomette and letting the 4 and 7 year olds share a bunk. Apparently I am not allowed to do that. The price difference is huge. Amtrak wants me to get a bedroom instead, and its about 800$ more. Is there any way to pay for an adult ticket for one of the kids and just bring them into the room with us? Thanks for any advice. Amy

2. Mar 30, 2016 #2

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Conductor Gathering Team Member

Did you try the booking online? If so, try calling them instead. I'd think they'd allow two kids that young to travel in the same roomette with you.

3. Mar 30, 2016 #3

willem

willem

willem

OBS Chief

The roomette beds are significantly narrower than a twin bed (28 inches wide). If I recall correctly, the foot of the bed in even narrower. Before trying this, I'd suggest putting the girls in a bed at home and restrict them to this width, to get an idea of what it would be like.

4. Mar 30, 2016 #4

G

When I tired booking the 3 of us online it didnt even show a roomette or bedroom available. Just coach seats. I did call, and they said that a roomette would be too small. I would have to get a bedroom. I am just wondering if I book the roomette for me and one child, and the 2nd kid as an adult if I would be allowed to bring her into the bedroom with us, or even allowed to board if one child is assigned a seat and the other one is booked into the roomette with me. Thanks so much for any input.

5. Mar 30, 2016 #5

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Just a coach seat will not allow her into your room, but a Open Sleeper seat MAY let her in though they may not allow that if they won't allow two kids anyway.

6. Mar 30, 2016 #6

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

The foot of the bed is narrower on the single level "Viewliner" Sleepers. The Superliners are the same width the entire length of the bed.

I have seen an adult and 2 kids booked into a Roomette. I would keep calling back until you get an agent that seems to know a few things about trains. (harder and harder to do these days).

7. Mar 30, 2016 #7

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

You might be able to physically fit two kids into a single bunk on a roomette but even if you could it would be a tight fit IMO. If I were in your shoes I'd probably price out some plane tickets and if they were cheaper than a bedroom I'd fly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
  8. Mar 30, 2016 #8

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

Another possibility is to call and inquire about getting 2 roomettes. Many times 2 roomettes cost less than 1 bedroom. This will also allow you to each have a berth (bed). If done, be sure to ask for both rooms to be across from each other. (Example - rooms 3 & 4, not 5 & 11.)

9. Mar 30, 2016 #9

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

But will they sell a roomette that only has a child listed as the occupant?

10. Mar 30, 2016 #10

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

I think as long as the complete reservation (for both rooms) include an adult and the rooms are across the hall, I think they will.

11. Mar 30, 2016 #11

Ronbo

Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

I like the idea of getting 2 roomettes. If your traveling dates are flexible, check out AmSnag and see what kind of deal you can find for the two. http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

p.s. If you are not familiar with AmSnag, and I just realized you said this is your first train trip, and are probably not, someone here can help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  12. Mar 31, 2016 #12

Eric308

Eric308

Eric308

Lead Service Attendant

Here's a working link...check it out at you can really fine tune your trip. Also, it is highly suggested you book as soon as possible. For lower fares, and also the fact you need two across from each other if you decide to go that way. Maybe you can just make one work...keep calling, get a supervisor and talk pretty.

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

13. Mar 31, 2016 #13

Ronbo

Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

Thanks Eric for doing that , I know that I messed up my post. Is there anyway to delete a post if a mistake is made?

14. Mar 31, 2016 #14

Eric308

Eric308

Eric308

Lead Service Attendant

You're asking ME? I just learned how to post a link this morning. :eek:

15. Mar 31, 2016 #15

jebr

jebr

jebr

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator

"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
    Some posts have been hidden as they were a response to a question that the person asking the question had removed. Since the initial question was removed, the answers did not make sense anymore.

16. Mar 31, 2016 #16

KmH

KmH

KmH

Conductor

No, but you can edit your post.

17. Mar 31, 2016 #17

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan

Conductor

A parent and two children are bookable in a roomette. Just have to call and ask for it:

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 8.55.33 PM.png

(Since it lists 4 children as permissible, it appears as a booking with only children in a room is permissible.

18. Mar 31, 2016 #18
    Amy: Follow the rules.

Although, I don't see Amtrak tossing kids off the train.

Amtrak: Stop tossing small children off the train.

19. Mar 31, 2016 #19

willem

willem

willem

OBS Chief

Also, it says for a party size of one, one child is allowed. Actually, for each party size, it seems that the entire party can be children.

20. Mar 31, 2016 #20

Mystic River Dragon

M

Mystic River Dragon

Conductor

In Ryan's post (#17), the chart refers to a Business Travel Roomette. What on earth is that? Is it a huge editing error? Or is it a category that Amtrak has been keeping us all from knowing about? :unsure:

P.S.--Not an editing error on your part, Ryan, of course. I meant Amtrak's.

21. Mar 31, 2016 #21

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

I noticed that too and intended to ask but never got around to it. That document capture left me with more questions than answers. How do you book children into their own room? How do you book four of anything into a Roomette?

22. Apr 1, 2016 #22

the_traveler

the_traveler

the_traveler

Conductor

To book more than 2 into any room (except 2A/2C into a Family room), you must call and speak with an agent. It can not be booked online.

23. Apr 1, 2016 #23

Hal

H

Hal

Lead Service Attendant

Here is your answer:

BT (Business Travel): Accommodations for employees on company business or for employees traveling on personal business who made reservations on the train’s day of departure in the Superliner Transition Sleeping Car. Employees utilizing BT space are expected to make their own bed, remove soiled linen and leave the accommodation neat and clean. Meals are not provided and must be purchased. BT space can also be assigned to authorized Guides on a unique basis – in this case, the Guide is entitled to a complimentary meal.

24. Apr 1, 2016 #24

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan

Conductor

Same with booking all children. They, of course, will be subject to the unaccompanied minors policy or on a reservation with an adult.

25. Apr 2, 2016 #25

chakk

c

chakk

Conductor

I booked a roomette many years ago on a Superliner-equipped train with two of my children (then ages 6 and 8) in the same room with me with no problem. They slept in the upper bunk "feet to feet" while I slept in the lower bunk with no complaints on their part about the available space for each of them.

If an agent told the OP that the space would be too small he/she should ask to speak to a supervisor to ram that reservation through.