Roomette assignment.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucktin

Train Attendant
We're traveling Florida to Pennsylvania in September. Got our E tickets, two roomettes, printed out but I do not see which roomettes we have on the ticket. How do I find out?

Well that certainly doesn't leap out at you does it.
Thanks, I'll take a close look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my printed ticket that I got at the station. 1436368425734.jpg
Roomette #12 is downstairs Tyler! For a trip as long as that in the Zephyr (3 days/2 Nights) you may want to call and request that the agent switch you to an upstairs Room,(#2-10), it shouldn't cost you anymore, and if the agent says they can't do it, ask for a Supervisor.

It's the middle of high season and all the upstairs roomettes may be booked.

But, one can keep checking in case someone with an upstairs roomette cancels their reservation.

Be sure you say to the ticket agent you want to "modify" your reservation.

IIRC, Amtrak sometimes puts a 3rd sleeper berth car on the CZ between Denver and Chicago to accommodate all the extra passengers that use the train between the 2 cities.

During high season does Amtrak leave the 3rd sleeper on the CZ between EMY and DEN?

I looked at the tickets. North bound we have roomette 3 & 4. Southbound 3 and 6.

That sounds good to me. Am I wrong?

During high season does Amtrak leave the 3rd sleeper on the CZ between EMY and DEN?
Yes, it goes all the way. I believe the 3rd sleeper began doing this when Amtrak was using the temporary station, supposedly because there was no place to store it at the temporary station. Obviously, Amtrak was able to come up with an extra sleeper to go all the way. My theory, counter conventional wisdom, is that they discovered that demand west of Denver was there. And so it continues to go all the way ever after Union Station was reclaimed.

On a recent round trip from the Midwest to Denver, the hoard waiting to board westbound #5 in Denver at least equaled that for eastbound #6 a week later.

If the floor plan I saw for the Viewliner cars is correct we are irectly across the hall going north, less so coming south. That's good by me.

Seems odd that when I go from the new Amtrak home page to the sleeping accommodations, no room numbers are shown on the floor plans. But this... http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/fam-3d-tours-diagrams.htm ...does show the room numbers. Can't remember if room numbers appeared when using the old Amtrak homepage.

Anyway, I feel Amtrak should fix this problem as there's no reason to keep the room numbers hidden - unless they think doing so will reduce calls requesting a certain room. DING! Wait!! Maybe that's it!!! Keep the room numbers a secret so the customer is kept in the dark. Yup, that explains it. And maybe the room numbers will soon disappear from the Agent Support page! Didn't take me long to figure that one out, eh? [Nyuk - nyuk] :p

Here's my printed ticket that I got at the station. 1436368425734.jpg
Roomette #12 is downstairs Tyler! For a trip as long as that in the Zephyr (3 days/2 Nights) you may want to call and request that the agent switch you to an upstairs Room,(#2-10), it shouldn't cost you anymore, and if the agent says they can't do it, ask for a Supervisor.
I did it! I am now in room 7.

Seems odd that when I go from the new Amtrak home page to the sleeping accommodations, no room numbers are shown on the floor plans. But this... http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/fam-3d-tours-diagrams.htm ...does show the room numbers. Can't remember if room numbers appeared when using the old Amtrak homepage.

Anyway, I feel Amtrak should fix this problem as there's no reason to keep the room numbers hidden - unless they think doing so will reduce calls requesting a certain room. DING! Wait!! Maybe that's it!!! Keep the room numbers a secret so the customer is kept in the dark. Yup, that explains it. And maybe the room numbers will soon disappear from the Agent Support page! Didn't take me long to figure that one out, eh? [Nyuk - nyuk] [emoji14]
Darn, you weren't supposed ta finger that out. Now that you've let that out "they're" gonna hav ta shoot ya!

Instead of starting a new post, I hope I can add on to an existing one.
I am going from Granby, CO to Nap, IL and booked a roomette. Is this a good car and if not, is it possible to change cars.
Car 0632 - Room 005

Room 5 is one of the best in the car . It is close the upstairs bathroom and has less noise then either end of the car.

Back