Roomette #2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant
Hi Guys, I need a bit of advice. Amtrak has put me in Roomette #2 for every leg of my two zone trip this fall. The question that I have is, is it really good to be kitty corner to the toilet? Is the opening and closing of the bathroom door in the evening an issue when trying to sleep? What about if it doesn't get cleaned enough, or it breaks. I kind of like not having neighbors on one side as it might help to keep things a little quieter, but would you rather be in the rear of the car or the front? The trains are the Texas Eagle (CHI-LAX), CS to VAN, (then link on up to SEA with Cascades), then the EB back to CHI and the Cardinal back to CIN. Thoughts? Concerns about that room? Isn't it the one nearest the SCA's room? That seems like a plus to me, especially if (s)he's friendly and talkative. :p

If they're putting you in #2, it's probably because you're the first to book, and they go sequentially (of course #1 isn't available).

Now #2 isn't exactly a standard roomette for the reasons you mentioned. I have no experience of being in that room, and quite possibly it is not a big deal, but I've read reports of people hanging around the central area and (inevitably) talking loudly to be heard over the train noise.

There is no reason not to call and ask that the roomette be changed to any of #3-8, which are, as Goldilocks might say, just right. Unless you really need to be as close to coffee and the bathroom and the stairs as possible, like the previous poster.

I've been in room #2 a few times and never had a problem. The passengers in the other roommates talking across the hall to each other was more of a distraction.

Rooms 9 and 10, in my opinion, are the most problematic for noise because they are right by the door that opens a zillion times during the night.

I had roomette two for the majority of my last cross-country trip. I do not like that room at all because you do have people hanging out at the coffee pot early in the morning, you hear every call bell going off, and the TA-s keep a lot of things stored in the upper bunk of room 1 and they are putting that thing up and down all the time which makes a lot of noise. They could use a regular maintenance with WD40.

From now on, I will make sure that I am not in 2 or 3.

I had roomette two for the majority of my last cross-country trip. I do not like that room at all because you do have people hanging out at the coffee pot early in the morning, you hear every call bell going off, and the TA-s keep a lot of things stored in the upper bunk of room 1 and they are putting that thing up and down all the time which makes a lot of noise. They could use a regular maintenance with WD40.
From now on, I will make sure that I am not in 2 or 3.
If you have an SCA who hides the entire trip, room 1 becomes a boon not a problem.

:hi: Linda: Nice Trip, I'm Envious! I'm one who prefers Roomette #2 on Superliners (as you know the Card has a Viewliner Sleeper) for the Previously Mentioned Reasons and also it is in the Middle of the Car so it rides smoother than the Rooms over the Trucks! Id stay with the #2 Rooms, others Opinions will differ, but " to Each their Own said the Old Maid as she Kissed the Cow!"

Any Room on a LD Train is better than a Suite in a 5 Star Hotel IMO! ;)

I've had Roomette #2 many times, and I think it is the most desirable Roomette, as it is right near the middle of the car (smoothest ride) add the room right across the hall is the car attendant! As far as rooms #9 and #10, I've had those rooms many times (including 3 times out of 4 trains on my last trip), and did not find any excess noise in those rooms! In fact, I'll take rooms #9 and #10 any day!

Hmm... I was thinking about 9 or 10, but Train Rider made a good point about them being close to the doors. Number 2 seems to be pretty much a draw. I guess I'm not as concerned really with noise throughout the day, but more-so with noise during normal sleeping hours. I may just stick with what I've got and hope for the best. Thanks again for quick responses and direct and to the point. That's what I love about this forum. :)

Well, Jim Hudson and the Traveler just confirmed it yet again. Thanks again guys! I just thought that if it was really worth moving, then now is the time to do it, not once the train's sold out. :eek:

I have had Roomette 2 twice. It had its pluses and minuses. If I got assigned Roomette 2 again, I would not switch. I'd say, stick with it and see what you think.

Pluses:

Close to the SCA; when I wanted something, I could just ask across the hall.

Close to the bathroom and the stairs. (I never smelled the bathroom, although sometimes I did have to step out and close a banging door that the previous user did not latch behind him.)

Minuses:

Idjits having loud conversations at the coffee pot at 5 a.m.. Yes, they woke me up.

People who stand in your doorway having long inane conversations with the SCA in Roomette 1, usually a foamer trying to impress the SCA with his knowledge of railroading and Amtrak. (I suspected, and confirmed, the SCAs are not interested in your knowledge of railroading and Amtrak. "I'd like to tell them to go away, but I have to be polite," said one.)

Just my 2 cents: I prefer a roomette near the middle of the row (3-8) because I don't like to hear the restroom door banging all night, and because I prefer not to have people blocking my doorway while they talk to the SCA. Conversations by the coffee pot don't seem to bother me. I tend to book early, and I tend to change rooms if assigned #2. But, it's obvious, to each their own! You'll have a good trip regardless, I always have!

Just my 2 cents: I prefer a roomette near the middle of the row (3-8)
I'm sorry, but your logic doesn't make sense in a way! :wacko:

You say you like rooms 3-8, which I suppose you exclude rooms 9 & 10 due to the door noise of the door opening and closing. But if your room door is closed at night (and I would guess 99.9999+% of passengers sleep with their room doors closed at night), I find you don't hear any excess door noise! Yet rooms #7 and #8 are right above the trucks (wheels), albeit on the 2nd level, so you feel more rail feelings. Most trains do not operate very well if the trucks are removed!

I'm booked in roomette 002 on CS and SWC this summer and 003 on EB also this summer. I always prefer to be near the center of the car and consider the proximity to the upper bathroom a plus. And I like the "ride" at the center of the train. I've not traveled in 2 or 3 since SCA started using the 001 roomette so cannot speak for possibility of people hanging out chatting with the attendant. I would expect that normal noises of the SCA doing his job will not be any different from all the other noises of rolling train cars, etc. I usually keep my sliding room door closed all the time and then close the curtains when out of the room and when I want privacy when in the room. Personally, I looking forward to the adventure.

Once had that roomette 2 on Empire builder with rookie csa across hall. He was rarely there and he had a cd player that fell on floor and dislodged the headphones which caused it to play thru speakers AND it skipped AND was playing the same line from a rapp song over and over til I entered his roomette and stopped it. Probably not a good idea to go in there without permission , but it was either that thing or jump off the train. (just kidding). Did I mention the bathroom stopped working about the same time? So it is all in how your luck rolls. I would go with the flow and keep it.

Once had that roomette 2 on Empire builder with rookie csa across hall. He was rarely there and he had a cd player that fell on floor and dislodged the headphones which caused it to play thru speakers AND it skipped AND was playing the same line from a rapp song over and over til I entered his roomette and stopped it. Probably not a good idea to go in there without permission , but it was either that thing or jump off the train. (just kidding). Did I mention the bathroom stopped working about the same time? So it is all in how your luck rolls. I would go with the flow and keep it.
Yeah, that's what I'm kind of concluding. :) I mean, I won't mind a 5:00 wake-up call by those gathering for coffee. I like to go to be when the scenery's no longer visible and then get up when it's just coming back.

Basically the information I'm getting is simply some people swear by it that it's one of the best rooms, and some people swear it's evil. :giggle: Looks like it's exactly what I thought, the luck of the draw. If everyone was like man that's the worst room ever, and no one had anything nice to say about it I would have changed on at least one or two. But under the circumstances I'm gonna stay where I am. Thanks again.

I had Roomette #2 both ways on SSL between NOL and LAX in May, 2010, four nights with no problems from noise or traffic. Also the convenience of the restroom next door was a plus, especially in the dark of the night.

Just MHO, but I'd rather be in roomette 2...or 3, or 4, or 9, or 10, or 13, or 14...than in cattle car class on Southwest or virtually any other airline you could name.

(BTW, I don't hate flying. I hold a pilot's license, although I am not currently active. I hate middle seats and 31 inch seat pitch; that's all.)

You can add me to those who would rather be in Room 2 than any other roomette. Being close to the bathroom is a plus because you can readily see if it is occupied. Those at the other end of the sleeper take their chances on having to either wait outside the washroom or return later.

In March I was in #2 on the TE/SL, CS, and CZ and things may have changed a little since some of the other posters were in the sleeper. Room #1 was not occupied by the SA. Depending on the attendant, there were at times ice and water stored in #1 for pax to take whenever they wanted. Again, depending on the setup of the SA, at times passengers used it as a changing room. That was very convenient and it would be nice if #1 was always available for changing, especially when traveling with two people in the roomette.

The coffee and juice are right outside your door. The stairs are nearby to go down to the shower.

For myself, other than being able to have a bedroom, I can't think of any reason to want anything other than Room #2.

I too have enjoyed being in Roomette 2 and found no problems with stinky toilets or excessive noise. Likewise the couple times I've been in 9 or 10 I also found noise not to be a problem and in one case enjoyed the extra benefit of having the railfan window right outside my door.

And I could not agree more on hating 31 inches of pitch (and declining).

Room #1 is ALWAYS the room the SCA occupies, since that is the room where the room notices go to. If (s)he does not occupy that room, and uses another unoccupied room to sleep in, they are the ones you can never find. And also is the alarm goes off at (say) 3 am, but they are sleeping in the H-room, how would they know a buzzer sounded in room #1? :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just in room #2 both ways on an EB roundtrip, CHI - SEA last week and I thought it was really convenient.

I was in the Portland section westbound and Seattle eastbound and neither SCA slept in #1, we had a crew/dorm car and I think that's where they all were.

No smells from the restroom or anyone hanging out at the coffee station unless they were getting something.

Super convenient to everything, imo and I wouldn't mind getting it again.

I was just in room #2 both ways on an EB roundtrip, CHI - SEA last week and I thought it was really convenient.I was in the Portland section westbound and Seattle eastbound and neither SCA slept in #1, we had a crew/dorm car and I think that's where they all were.

No smells from the restroom or anyone hanging out at the coffee station unless they were getting something.

Super convenient to everything, imo and I wouldn't mind getting it again.
Or they were in an empty bedroom - as several AU posters (including me) have observed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back