Riding in a luxury private car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMax

Train Attendant
Has anyone here ever ridden in a private car? I've visited them during the annual Train Day celebrations, but don't know anyone who has ridden one, much less leased one. I think that it would be so cool to ride out on the open air platform of a rear car. When I hit the lottery I'm going to gather up all my musician friends and lease one of those babies for a cross country jam session.

Lots of our members have and do take trips on PVs all the time! Iowa Pacific has offered some real deals on certain days between New Orleans and Chicago and all over the Country there are Special Trains run with Heritage Equipment as well as Tourist Railroads!

My fave so far was riding on the Patron Tequila Express between Grand Junction and Denver(for Free!!!

) but a close second was the ride in Hickory Creek (ex NYC and used in the movie North by Northwest!) between WAS and Cinncinatti for $150!!

Friends of 261 in MSP have lots of trips to/from CHI and LA also has lots out Specials on PVs out of LAX!!

Strasbourg occasionally runs Ex-Reading business car on their trains. I rode it once for $30 or so. It gives a taste.

My wife, Archie and I rode in a former private car in Jim Thorpe, PA. There were four adults in the car.

It was a fun trip.

I saw one when we were getting into NO on May 25,2014. I was in awe and wanted to take a picture,but was with someone who was rushing to get off Crescent and did not appreciate what they were looking at. Didn't see any people boarding. Also do you have to dress for dinner when riding one? Would love to see pictures. Thanks

I saw one when we were getting into NO on May 25,2014. I was in awe and wanted to take a picture,but was with someone who was rushing to get off Crescent and did not appreciate what they were looking at. Didn't see any people boarding. Also do you have to dress for dinner when riding one? Would love to see pictures. Thanks
Here is a link to a writeup I did on last months Pullman trip CHI-NOL, including some pics. Dress for dinner was everything from suit and tie, to khaki's and polo's. Most did wear a sport coat or jacket for dinner, but not so much the rest of the trip. Some did, some didn't. I did, but I wear sport coats reguarly, so it wasn't really "dressing up" for me, just my normal wear. http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/59803-city-of-new-orleans-pullman-style/

Be sure to wear safety glasses/goggles if you snare a ride on the back platform of an open air observation car.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

And unless you are riding in a VERY PRIVATE private car, then yes, you must dress for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Has anyone here ever ridden in a private car? I've visited them during the annual Train Day celebrations, but don't know anyone who has ridden one, much less leased one. I think that it would be so cool to ride out on the open air platform of a rear car. When I hit the lottery I'm going to gather up all my musician friends and lease one of those babies for a cross country jam session.
I rode on the NY Central 20th Century Limited Observation Car "Hickory Creek" just a few weeks back on an excursion run on the Empire Corridor between New York Penn Station and Albany. It was reasonably priced, including all food and drinks. It was indeed a lot of fun. The only dress requirement was "Gentlemen wear jackets". There was no requirement for tie and almost no one was wearing one. I think if you showed up looking like a bum they'd have gladly refunded your ticket and left you behind. :)

DSC_0404.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a positioning move on the caritas back in the early 90s. Awesome. It had an open platform. I rode it from chi-nyp.
I did one, on the Caritas, back in the '80's, on the then frieight-only UP line from Limon to Denver, thanks to the generosity of its owner....we were coupled behind a caboose. We overheard on our scanner, the conductor joking to his engineer, that: "I wish they would throw us a steakbone, or something"...... :)

Back