RFP issued for Amfleet I replacement

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by keelhauled, Jan 18, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Apr 24, 2019 #176

trainman74

trainman74

trainman74

Conductor

Thanks, sorry I sidetracked things by confusing the name being given to the car order with the name of one of the agencies involved.

2. Apr 24, 2019 #177

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

I have my own reasons for not wanting semi-permanent trainsets as well. The more of those we have the less places we can run. Which means less money for the industry and ultimately me. But that’s me being selfish.

3. Apr 24, 2019 #178

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

And your reasons IINM relate to PV, nothing related to what I mentioned which is way more justified.

4. Apr 25, 2019 #179

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

Like I said I’m very selfish. Even though I’m not a large fan for your reasons as well

5. Apr 26, 2019 #180

Thirdrail7

T

Thirdrail7

Conductor AU Supporter

Again, this depends on the type of service you wish to provide. There is a big difference between turn around commuter service and point to point, multi state service. Amtrak tends to fall into the latter. I'm not aware of any commuter service that operates 600+ miles...one way. I'm not aware of Chicagoland commuter service operating through 9 states...and potentially carrying mail, parcels and private cars.

Additionally, adding another locomotive to your train increases costs and increases inspections.

cirdan likes this.
  6. Apr 26, 2019 #181

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

Just the thought of a 600 mile commute anywhere turns me off to whatever job.

cirdan likes this.
  7. Apr 26, 2019 #182

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

I guess my focus on using cabs at both ends of a train specifically in the context of NEC-like operations was not clear. I was talking mostly about NEC (or other) Regional type services, which is basically a higher class commuter service in most cases, even though over longer distances, and Acelas already use cabs at both ends, as does everything on Amtrak California.

I agree with you to quite an extent about infrequent (once a day or less) service over longer distances. Specifically services that have 24 hour (or even 8 hour) layovers at each end, do not require quick turnaround, obviously.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. Oct 29, 2019 #183

Andrew

A

Andrew

Lead Service Attendant

Rumor has it that the Hitachi Class 800 Dual Power Integrated Trainset is a strong contender for the Northeast Regional Trains that operate south of Washington, D.C, as well as the Pennsylvania which travels between Pittsburgh and NYC.

9. Oct 29, 2019 #184

mainemanman

m

mainemanman

Train Attendant

Where'd you hear that? Seems odd to use a British design.

10. Oct 30, 2019 #185

daybeers

d

daybeers

OBS Chief

When will Amtrak make its decision?

11. Oct 30, 2019 #186

jis

jis

jis

Yeah. I don’t think Amtrak will go for British loading gauge.

12. Oct 30, 2019 #187

Andrew

A

Andrew

Lead Service Attendant

Final bids for the Amfleet Replacement are now due this November 20th.

It would be cool to see coaches for the electric trains--such as the Keystones-- and a Dual Power Integrated Trainset for the trains which require an engine change.

13. Oct 30, 2019 #188

PerRock

PerRock

PerRock

Conductor

Well the Class 800/801 is just the UK version of the Hitachi A-Train, so Amtrak would probably get an Americanized version of the A-Train. Just like how the new Acela is an Americanized version of Alstom's Avelia train.

peter

14. Oct 30, 2019 #189

jis

jis

jis

And also hope that Hitachi does not spend ten years trying to familiarize itself with American railroading practices

seat38a likes this.
  15. Nov 3, 2019 #190

Andrew

A

Andrew

Lead Service Attendant

For Amtrak trains that currently use Amfleet coaches, would it make more sense to use a dual powered locomotive, or a Dual-Powered Integrated Trainset, in the future?

16. Nov 3, 2019 #191

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

OBS Chief

How about a two pronged approach. You could do an EMU style for the BOS-WAS trains and Keystones, and then a traditional style fleet for corridor trains that currently need engine changes and for long distance trains. This would free up a lot of Sprinter electric locomotives. On the remaining traditional style equipment sets you could assign a dedicated sprinter and charger paired together that would just stay on the train all the time. I guess the disadvantage is you’d have to drag the inactive engine but it would eliminate the changes and would make use of assets they currently have. I’m sure given the manufacturing similarities between the Sprinter and Charger locomotives you could probably do it.

17. Nov 3, 2019 #192

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

Since a BOS-WAS run involves 3 separate power systems, any EMU would be a bit pricey/complex. Dual modes tend to be less reliable than units that are one or the other. Neither is a show stopper, but must be considered.

18. Nov 3, 2019 #193

frequentflyer

f

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

Makes too much sense, Amtrak will not do it.......Its up an running the UK, most of the bugs have been worked out or at least identified.

A Hitachi Regional will have Regional passengers not missing the Acela IIs amenities except for the extra "speed". Hmmm, I see a significant price increase for Regional fares in the future if Amtrak goes the Hitachi route.

19. Nov 4, 2019 #194

Gemuser

G

Gemuser

Service Attendant

While this used to be true, these days the standard EMUs from European manfactures [don't know about Asian ones] tend to be quadri mode or very near, straight out of the factory. Dual power ones [electric/desiel] are another matter, although they do exist.

jis likes this.
  20. Nov 4, 2019 #195

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

I don't think it's changed that much, but others are more willing to deal with it. Dealing with multiple voltages and frequencies is clearly manageable, ACS-64 do it everyday, but it is a "complicating factor"

21. Nov 4, 2019 #196

jis

jis

jis

Since everything becomes DC on the main link, the frequency thing only affects the transformer as does the HV input voltage The backend drive control remains the same no matter how many different input profiles you throw at it. Indeed DC input is the biggest pain to deal with unless it is at the link voltage.

JustOnce likes this.
  22. Nov 4, 2019 #197

TC_NYC

T

TC_NYC

Train Attendant

I just don't see too many advantages of a dual mode locomotive. Amtrak will still schedule the trains to stop in Washington for 20-30 minutes and the Acela will still be billed as the "premium" service. EMUs would make a lot of sense, since the trains have frequent stops.

23. Nov 4, 2019 #198

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now. ÖBB/ĆD Railjets would make a lot of sense. Great trainsets that are semi permanently coupled meaning you could add cars at any time, and take them out. And you can just change the engine in DC between whatever Amtrak starts using on the Virginia regionals in the next few years, and the sprinters. To be honest I find the Railjets a superior train to most high speed trains out there and I want to say they are capable of 150 mph.

But what do I know about trains, it’s not like I was an airline executive.

24. Nov 4, 2019 #199

jis

jis

jis

Railjets use basically the same Viaggio cars as Brightline.

Pere Flyer and frequentflyer like this.
  25. Nov 4, 2019 #200

PerRock

PerRock

PerRock

Conductor

And the new trainsets for the Midwest, Cali & VIA.

peter

Draft saved Draft deleted