RFP issued for Amfleet I replacement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there sufficient numbers of ACS-64's laying about that one can afford to drop the pan and drag them to Norfolk/Newport News/Richmond/Roanoke and back?
Right now, 4 are down hard. You SHOULD see two of them eventually and you MAY see three of them again. That would leave 69. It basically hinges on how the rest of the sets are powered but I think they could spare 10 engines to leave the corridor. If they could spare 14, we could actually return to one seat  NEC-EMP service.

Hell, even being down, they leased some to Septa a few years ago and they are now leasing some to MARC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted Third answered my question.

ThirdRail, what do you mean 4 are down hard? Mx? 

How many consists actually travel south of DC though? Maybe a third of the DC-BOS trains.
Not all are BOS trains that go south of DC. There is at least one NYP originator that goes south. But net net, pure regional service, there are 5, maybe 6. This does not include the Carolinian or Palmetto, or any of the other LD trains, which total another 5.5 or so.

Indeed, because it is less than a dozen, it is even conceivable to do a ACS at one end SC at the other through service, though it seems kind of silly to me. It would be better to work on processes that can cut down the engine change time to 15 mins in Washington.

Not all are BOS trains that go south of DC. There is at least one NYP originator that goes south. But net net, pure regional service, there are 5, maybe 6. This does not include the Carolinian or Palmetto, or any of the other LD trains, which total another 5.5 or so.

Indeed, because it is less than a dozen, it is even conceivable to do a ACS at one end SC at the other through service, though it seems kind of silly to me. It would be better to work on processes that can cut down the engine change time to 15 mins in Washington.
As has been discussed, there are a limited number of locomotives, but it seems as though there is a greater shortage of passenger cars. In addition to eliminating the time to change the engines, the train would not have to turn around at it's Virginia terminus. Perhaps this time savings could allow a trainset to make a same-day return to NYP.

I'm wondering. Can you control another locomotive from an ACS-64 with the pantograph down? Does it have (or can it get) the electricity needed to power the gauges and controls and such? Also would there be any issue with the wheels getting flat spots due to the motor not running?

A question.  Where are the spare ACS=64s kept.  Are they spread along the NEC as back up power?  Have note a few times one has been changed in New Haven.

A question.  Where are the spare ACS=64s kept.  Are they spread along the NEC as back up power?  Have note a few times one has been changed in New Haven.
Plenty can be found in WAS, Sunnyside, and New Haven (for the Springfield Regionals and Vermonter). There is also one hanging out in Secaucus, as has been discussed in another thread. Beyond that, I don't know.

Some are in Wilmington for standard repairs. Some in DC, PHL, Sunneyside, NHV, BOS. Basically up and down the Corridor. 

There is also one hanging out in Secaucus, as has been discussed in another thread. Beyond that, I don't know.
Which according to a post from ThirdRail has ceased as NJTRO has taken over again. 

ThirdRail, what do you mean 4 are down hard? Mx? 
It means long term out of service. In  other words, they've been out for a long time and probably won't be back for a long time...if they come back at all.  I do anticipate two of them returning eventually, one of them is questionable and the other is is unlikely.

I'm wondering. Can you control another locomotive from an ACS-64 with the pantograph down? Does it have (or can it get) the electricity needed to power the gauges and controls and such? Also would there be any issue with the wheels getting flat spots due to the motor not running?
I guess you're not familiar with the old NJT ACES train. Well, the ACS-64 and the SC44 work the same way:

ACS-64s are typically stationed at every start/stop point for electric service.  Most locations have at least one protect.

Do anyone think that Amtrak will use cab cars on the NEC? It will shorten turn times and increase utilization.........Maybe.

They already use Cab Cars on the NEC between New York and Philadelphia, one of the fastest portions of NEC South, on the Keystones. So I don't see any reason that would prevent them from making more general use of them.

They may be somewhat more leery of using them off NEC south of Washington DC due to numerous grade crossings etc., but that is just my idle speculation.

They already use Cab Cars on the NEC between New York and Philadelphia, one of the fastest portions of NEC South, on the Keystones. So I don't see any reason that would prevent them from making more general use of them.

They may be somewhat more leery of using them off NEC south of Washington DC due to numerous grade crossings etc., but that is just my idle speculation.
IMO the Metroliner Cab Cars are death traps. When you ride on the head end of these cars like I have you'll understand what I'm saying. IF a trainset with cab cars at one end is selected, I'd like to see some serious safety enhancements. 

IMO the Metroliner Cab Cars are death traps. When you ride on the head end of these cars like I have you'll understand what I'm saying. IF a trainset with cab cars at one end is selected, I'd like to see some serious safety enhancements. 
Is it just the flatness and lack of crumple zones that's the issue, or is there more to it?

Back