Reserved coach seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening all! I am new to this forum and new to train travel, so thanks for having me!! We will be traveling from New Orleans to Chicago at the end of February. My question is, will we have assigned seats or first come first serve? Also, are there cars that have seats facing each other so that our family of 3 can sit together? Thanks in advance for the help!
Jenny J

Yes, the seat are reserved but is not assigned until on board. It depends on how the coach attendants assigned them, usually based on the station stops (esp. at night). They should have a passenger manifest so that they can keep track on how many people are seated together. They are responsible to let them know in advance that the arriving station is approaching so that you can be prepared to gather your stuff and be at the vestibule door.

You may be assigned a certain car and allowed to sit anywhere in that car, or you may be assigned specific seats together by the attendant. You can request a set of seats facing together. All of the seats physically turn, so the request may be granted or not based on the attendant and/or conductor.

You may be assigned a certain car and allowed to sit anywhere in that car, or you may be assigned specific seats together by the attendant. You can request a set of seats facing together. All of the seats physically turn, so the request may be granted or not based on the attendant and/or conductor.

The seats do physically turn, but I have almost never seen them turned to face each other on a long-distance train. Prior to departure, they are set to face forward in the direction of travel, and train crews are loath to turn them during the trip.

Good evening all! I am new to this forum and new to train travel, so thanks for having me!!... are there cars that have seats facing each other so that our family of 3 can sit together? Thanks in advance for the help!
Jenny J
Welcome Jenny!

You can usually get seats in a row with 2 on one side of the aisle and 1 on the other side of the aisle.

If you have a young child ask whoever is assigning seats when you get in for the first row in the car where there is more floor space and no seats in front of you.

If you have a young child ask whoever is assigning seats when you get in for the first row in the car where there is more floor space and no seats in front of you.

There is no tray table and sometimes very little or no window at that seat. To top it off many times there is garbage or luggage piled up in that open area. - if you board and it looks attractive to you, by all means sit there or ask to be assigned there, but I wouldn’t recommend anyone blindly asking for it.

There is no tray table and sometimes very little or no window at that seat. To top it off many times there is garbage or luggage piled up in that open area. - if you board and it looks attractive to you, by all means sit there or ask to be assigned there, but I wouldn’t recommend anyone blindly asking for it.
Plus, there is a very bright light in the section between the cars that stays on all night and is likely to interfere with sleep if you're traveling by night if you're seated in those seats near it. The eye mask sold by Amtrak does keep the light out though.

Back