Rental Car on Auto Train, Anyone Do It?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OBS Chief, thanks for that video. We've taken the Auto Train many, many times ... and I've always WONDERED what happened inside those huge car-carrier cars!

Found this dash cam video on YouTube of the car loading/unloading process:
Thank you for posting that video. As one who has never taken the Auto Train (I hope to one day), it was nice to see the handing off procedure, as well as what my car would "see".

Last edited by a moderator:
We took the AT two years ago and always in awe of the organization to board hundreds of cars in the allotted time. Wondered how many employees are working at the loading and unloading process. And of course, the trusty dog sniff of the cars was funny also. Wonder how many hits they get in a given day on both ends." :p Thanks for posting this informative video..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny that the guy turned

on the radio at the end so he could listen for all of 20 seconds or so.
Since it came on just when he came out of the car, I'll bet it was satellite radio - the radio probably came on automatically when the car was started and just picked up a signal when they emerged from the train car.

Refreshing an old thread here. Anybody have any new info on this? In the past I have done rental vehicles on the auto train with no issues but curious if anyone has run into problems. I really love the auto train and doing it with a rental really works well in my situation.

Refreshing an old thread here. Anybody have any new info on this? In the past I have done rental vehicles on the auto train with no issues but curious if anyone has run into problems. I really love the auto train and doing it with a rental really works well in my situation.
It worked well in my situation when my family did it 2 years ago...

Back