Registration & Guest Posting Issue

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
It has come to my attention that after the recent upgrade, something has gone wrong with the CAPTCHA system that protects us from spammers. Anyone trying to register or make a guest post is presented with the instructions to complete the puzzle, but alas no puzzle is displayed thereby making it impossible to complete the puzzle.

Unfortunately Anthony is currently on vacation and this is his area of responsibility, he's got the keys to the server as it were. So I cannot fix it. I may be possible for Anthony to fix it remotely, if/when he gets my email about the problem, but I don't know for sure. So this situation which has been ongoing for almost a week now, even though I only learned of it today, may not get fixed for another day or two. Sorry! :(

I cannot help anyone wishing to post as a guest, you will remain locked out until the issue is fixed.

However, anyone wishing to register with the forum can contact me privately by email and I can setup an account for you. You will need to provide me with a login name, which is the name that along with a password, you'll use to log into the forums. The forum will randomly generate a password and email that password to you, which you can then change once you log in. If you like, and provide it, I can also add a display name which is the name that everyone will see next to your posts. If you don't provide one, then it will be the same as your login name.

Again, I'm sorry for the problem and hopefully we'll have it fixed shortly!

Last edited by a moderator:
And I know that it's working since we had 10 reports of spam within 10 minutes, until I could go put guests back on moderator approval. My apologies to the real guests, but you'll have to deal with waiting for your post to show up for a bit, at least until Anthony can restore the better spam prevention software.

Hoping to restore it by Monday night. Thanks everyone. Lots of moving parts!

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 8:15 PM today things should be back to normal for Guests. That means you'll once again be able to start new topics, and you shouldn't have to wait for a moderator to approve your posts.

Sorry for the inconvenience of the last few days, but without the better Captcha system in place the spammers were having a free run on things and we had to take extra steps to protect everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back