Redeeming Voucher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
We were delayed last year on a trip where we received a $250 voucher. Does the voucher have to be used all at once? Or can you use small amounts like a "gift card" at a store? Also, we have friends that will be going to Washington DC then onward to Baltimore. Should they buy their tickets for a regional train now or wait until they arrive in DC since they will be traveling on a long distance train and may not make the exact train they want to reserve.? Thanks everyone!

You can redeem the voucher in increments. However, the voucher may not be "extended", so be sure to check the expiration date on the newly issued voucher for the remainder value.

They should include the regional in their booking for hte LD train (xxx-BAL) rather than buy separate tickets. The regional ticket will be at low-bucket, I believe, if they do it this way. I would assume they'll be put on the next available train if they miss the connection. Plus, waiting till they're in WAS the ticket price will be high.

Reserve (Long Distance Train)-WAS-BAL all at once as a single reservation, the WAS-BAL fare should only be a dollar or two more, if not the same fare. If they miss the connection from the LD train its guarenteed and they will just have to go to the ticket office and pick up a new ticket for the next train.

Ditto on what the others said Al! If coonections are critical another possibility is to take a MARC Train from WAS to Baltimore! They now run on the Weekend and are Cheap but during rush hour are crowded and luggage could be a problem! ( no checked Luggage on Regionals either but Red Caps are available which may be a good idea for them @ Union Station)

Also dont forget the Metro Lounge and Club Acela is available to them in Chicago an Washington if they're in a Sleeper!

Last edited by a moderator:
As was said, reserve the Regional wwith the LD train. There's a huge discount when you transfer to/from a LD train. The. normal rate from WAS to BAL was $11, if combined with a LD it may be only $1! If going to KIN, it may be about $50 for the regular faare but it may only cost $7 or $8 more! :)

Last month I redeemed a paper travel voucher in Chicago and I received another travel voucher for the balance that expires in one year. It was for a relatively small amount so maybe that is why I got the year extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back