Redcap in NYP -Will they do this?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife had knee replacement surgery in June. She has already been walking w/o a cane for a while but still has the leg tire on her - but will be doing better when we travel Oct 1. Just in case, we may need a cart ride from the train to the exit at 8th Ave and 33rd just so it doesn't get too tired too fast. Will the Redcap do that? Is it an exceptional request or typical? We've used them before to go to the train from the Lounge.
We might get a taxi or Uber for the 1/2 mile north from there to our hotel or walk it but the stairs (or extra walk to/from elevators) might push her over the limit.
I do know my way around, having been born in the city. It's just that in the past we generally schlepped our own luggage everywhere we went. This will be her first trip since the operation so we don't know how far she can push it.

That's disenchanting. She doesn't need (more importantly, doesn't want) a wheelchair. She is too proud and embarrassed about it. Besides, there is no way I could tote both the bags for our cruise. And that would mean 2 Redcaps. We'll just walk slowly.

I appreciate the help. That's what's so great about this forum.

I can't remember. Are there escalators forward or behind us when exiting the Crescent? And do they bring us closer or further from 33rd and 8th where the taxi stand is?

That's disenchanting. She doesn't need (more importantly, doesn't want) a wheelchair. She is too proud and embarrassed about it. Besides, there is no way I could tote both the bags for our cruise. And that would mean 2 Redcaps. We'll just walk slowly.

It is possible to get a redcap to carry your luggage with a handcart and you could walk with him without being in a wheelchair. I have seen redcaps assist non-wheelchair passengers who either walk slowly with a cane, a walker or unassisted.

I appreciate the help. That's what's so great about this forum.

I can't remember. Are there escalators forward or behind us when exiting the Crescent? And do they bring us closer or further from 33rd and 8th where the taxi stand is?
A Red cap can be summoned but you sometimes wait up to 30 minutes for one. A handicapped or physically challenged person can enter from the 31st side where the blue awning sits. Then you must walk around to the now closed drive through, take the elevator down to the station level, then exit walk left behind the Amtrak general waiting area to the Red Cap station. There you will find assistance. If you are a sleeper passenger just continue walking left to the Acela lounge. Before boarding you can ask for a Red Cap to take you down to the train in a wheelchair in a small elevator. Just accompanied a friend through most of this procedure and it wasn't particularly easy.

A Red cap can be summoned but you sometimes wait up to 30 minutes for one. A handicapped or physically challenged person can enter from the 31st side where the blue awning sits. Then you must walk around to the now closed drive through, take the elevator down to the station level, then exit walk left behind the Amtrak general waiting area to the Red Cap station. There you will find assistance. If you are a sleeper passenger just continue walking left to the Acela lounge. Before boarding you can ask for a Red Cap to take you down to the train in a wheelchair in a small elevator. Just accompanied a friend through most of this procedure and it wasn't particularly easy.
Thanks but this is FROM train to hotel not the other way around. We always use the Lounge on outgoing trips and often, even though the walk is from the lounge to the train, will get a redcap depending on our luggage. Likely, we'll do it again for our continuation trip the next day to New London.
Since "to train" is a two-step process (entry to lounge then plenty of time to relax before lounge to train), she won't have to walk so much at one time.

As a United Club member, I get lounge access even when traveling in coach. On one trip, the car attendant was shocked to find out we were seated even before she got to the train. We simply told her the redcap took us there from the lounge. She wasn't happy but said nothing more about it.

Back