Reasons for Amtrak 'Renaiscance'

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraz

Train Attendant
Here is my prioritized list of reasons why Amtrak is experiencing a 're-birth'. Feel free to share your comments and add/subtract from the list:

1) High gas prices

2) Freeway congestion in big cities

3) High downtown parking costs in big cities

4) Amtrak trains are laptop friendly

5) Blackberry, cell phones allow one to stay connected and online almost anywhere

6) Gentrification of big city downtowns makes them much safer and pleasant to walk around

7) Launch of new metro/subway systems in many cities allows people to get from downtown

to other parts of cities efficiently

8) Aggresive drivers and distracted drivers are on the rise on interstates as most people

yap on cell phone while driving.

9) Increasing concern with protecting environment with rail being most fuel-efficient

10) Concern with dependance on foreign oil and supporting unstable regions of the world with our need for fuel

What do you think?

How about the realization that:

1. If you have the time.....its a great way to travel, even medium distances like Buffalo - NY (400 Miles).

2. It actually SAVES time in the NEC. Its way nicer to take a train from NYP to Washington, DC than it is to haul out to a airport, deal with airport for an hour flight, etc.

How bout the hassles of flying post-9/11?!? And I'm not just meaning security. It was the "last straw" when I got pimped by United in 2005 that made me think the whole way home (and all the way to Toronto as well) that there's gotta be a different way. I have heard all of you talking about the "Desert Wind" and "The Pioneer" but I just wasn't "understanding" what all that was about until I read "Zephyr: Tracking An American Dream". Having that consist still on the Zephyr would make it so much easier to get to LA or Seattle from Lincoln NE. I hope the "rebirth" we are hearing isn't just us Amtrak'ers! I do get peculiar looks when I tell people "Oh I take Amtrak out to Colorado?!?" And I always get "I've always wanted to do that!!" And I look at them and say, "well....do it!!!! :)

How bout the hassles of flying post-9/11?!? And I'm not just meaning security. It was the "last straw" when I got pimped by United in 2005 that made me think the whole way home (and all the way to Toronto as well) that there's gotta be a different way. I have heard all of you talking about the "Desert Wind" and "The Pioneer" but I just wasn't "understanding" what all that was about until I read "Zephyr: Tracking An American Dream". Having that consist still on the Zephyr would make it so much easier to get to LA or Seattle from Lincoln NE. I hope the "rebirth" we are hearing isn't just us Amtrak'ers! I do get peculiar looks when I tell people "Oh I take Amtrak out to Colorado?!?" And I always get "I've always wanted to do that!!" And I look at them and say, "well....do it!!!! :)
Yes, airport security hassles are definitely up there, forgot to add it to the list. It's also surprising how crowded airports are getting in general. I recently took a red-eye flight from Portland to Chicago Ohare. It arrived at 5AM in Ohare and I was surprised to see the airport full of people bustling about!

I also agree lots of people say 'I've always wanted to do it', but most dont. I think it will just take a few more years before they get comfortable with the whole train travel..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back