Reaching status using long distance only

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under the old AGR I would make two round trips from Harrisburg to Elizabethtown in one day during Double Days. $11 r/t 400 points and my select bonus. I amassed quite a few points back then.
Cheapest points I’ve ever gotten was for a Capitol Corridor weekend 50% off special on a Sunday morning.  $12 for RIC-EMY-SFC-EMY-RIC.  Scheduled time was less than 2-1/2 hours, even with a half hour at the Ferry Building where I got coffee at Blue Bottle and bread at Acme.  It would have been cheaper ($10.50) starting in Berkeley, but I would have run the risk of not getting scanned.

Had you merely said that we wouldn’t be having this discussion.  But what you actually said was that the “usability” of the 100 point  per segment rule was not a “corridor specific advantage.”  

Try telling that to the guy living in Detroit Lakes, MN or Hastings, NE.  
Except there are plenty of examples where someone could relatively easily earn 200-400 points a day solely on long distance trains. Basically anywhere that you could do a same-day turn on Amtrak, you could earn 200 points. If there were two train numbers (say, 8 and 28,) you could get 400 points in a day just by doing a split ticket on those trains and going two stops. For example, someone going from MSP - WIN could do MSP - RDW 8, RDW - WIN 28, WIN - RDW 7, and RDW - MSP 27 for under $50 on low bucket with the multi-city tool. That's solely long-distance service, all generally during waking hours, and while there's a long layover in Winona there's a small bus system Monday - Saturday that can get you around to explore the town, go to a restaurant, coffee shop, or whatever. There's certainly tighter connections that could be done elsewhere along the routes. It was certainly "very usable" along at least parts of the long distance routes, so it's fair to say that it wasn't a corridor-specific advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except there are plenty of examples where someone could relatively easily earn 200-400 points a day solely on long distance trains. Basically anywhere that you could do a same-day turn on Amtrak, you could earn 200 points. If there were two train numbers (say, 8 and 28,) you could get 400 points in a day just by doing a split ticket on those trains and going two stops. For example, someone going from MSP - WIN could do MSP - RDW 8, RDW - WIN 28, WIN - RDW 7, and RDW - MSP 27 for under $50 on low bucket with the multi-city tool. That's solely long-distance service, all generally during waking hours, and while there's a long layover in Winona there's a small bus system Monday - Saturday that can get you around to explore the town, go to a restaurant, coffee shop, or whatever. There's certainly tighter connections that could be done elsewhere along the routes. It was certainly "very usable" along at least parts of the long distance routes, so it's fair to say that it wasn't a corridor-specific advantage.
 My point was, and remains, that living along the corridor makes this easier to accomplish.   That’s all.

That isn’t what was debated. Your (false) claim that it was a corridor specific advantage (it isn’t, as it provided an advantage to many off-corridor people, with examples provided) is what was debated. 

You mean that having multiple daily trains makes it easier to use them?

*faints from shock*
Only on Amtrak Unlimited would that be debated.  
So just making sure I understand, you joined 34 days ago, and you are now declaring that AU is the only place where that point would be debated, even though it was never actually debated. Cool. :eek:hboy:

Call me stubborn, but I’m going to stick with my belief that it’s easier for someone who lives along the corridor to accrue segments than someone who lives in Yuma, AZ - even if I’ve only been here for 34 days.  

With the 100 points per segment rule I took more short trips such as Chicago to Joliet RT or Chicago to Mendota RT.  Each segment was well below the 50 dollar cost that would normally make 100 points.  

With the agr 2.0 there is no benefit to taking these short trips.  One is still going to be required to spend 5,000 dollars to make select plus. I don’t like riding horizon or amflleet cars that much so I will focus on long distance trips where I can book roomettes.  From Chicago I’ll book a couple of round trips to msp in a roomette.  

Having to spend $4,000 on Business Class is also a bit high.
I have no position on whether it is high or low, since it really is no ones birthright to get status on Amtrak, nor will they die or fall ill if they don't get it, or something like that. As long as a credible number of people are able to make it, all is good. That's how business works.

Having to spend $4,000 on Business Class is also a bit high.
I have no position on whether it is high or low, since it really is no ones birthright to get status on Amtrak, nor will they die or fall ill if they don't get it, or something like that. As long as a credible number of people are able to make it, all is good. That's how business works.
My point was that it's at least as difficult to spend $4K on Business Class as it is to spend $5K on sleepers.

Actually, it's about 80% as difficult. ;)   :D
That would only be correct if Business Class was available on the same routes as sleepers and was comparable in cost. But because BC is mainly available on short distance routes and is a much cheaper option, it takes MANY more trips to reach that $4,000.

I would actually recommend Acela First Class as the most time efficient way to get AGR status. Just five or less RTs BOS-WAS will likely get you there, and if done right will likely take just five days.

Remember, AGR was created to be competitive with the airlines. The rest it just sort of tagged along.

Last edited by a moderator:
AGR 1 with the 100 point minimum enabled me to rack up a lot of points. During Double Days I would spend $11.04 rt from Harrisburg to Elizabethtown Pa and receive 450 points with my Select bonus. With AGR 2 if I did the same trip during Double Days I would receive 87 points. As another poster pointed out there is no reason to take short trips to accumulate points.

AGR 1 with the 100 point minimum enabled me to rack up a lot of points. During Double Days I would spend $11.04 rt from Harrisburg to Elizabethtown Pa and receive 450 points with my Select bonus. With AGR 2 if I did the same trip during Double Days I would receive 87 points. As another poster pointed out there is no reason to take short trips to accumulate points.
Since that was a major reason to go to AGR 2.0, i.e., to make it harder to pile up AGR points and extracting more money for the points, that should be no surprise to anyone.

The reason AGR 1.0 had the minimum 100 points is mainly because airlines then had minimum 500 points, and AGR was one of the things that Amtrak created to make NEC service competitive with airlines. Back then you could convert AGR point to airline miles and vice versa, again to gain feature parity with airlines. That I believe went away during the United-Continental merger, while simultaneously Amtrak basically won the battle for NEC traffic, thus reducing the need to be more like airlines. Now that 100 minimum is more or less meaningless on the NEC given the fares, and so it is gone bye bye.

I am not defending AGR 2.0. I am speculating about the thought process that went behind it.

Back