Rail repair between Dearborn,MI and Ann Arbor.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazzman

Train Attendant
Looks like myself and others will be bused from Dearborn (my point of origin) to Ann Arbor to then board the Wolverine #351 to Chicago. Some kind of rail repair between the two. Shouldn't be much loss of time. Will get to Chicago in plenty of time to catch the SWC #3 at 3pm. Anybody else on the same bus on May 10th at 6:30AM?

To follow up on my own post; How will the Wolverine #351 get to the Ann Arbor station? I'm thinking that maybe coming west from Detroit and all stops previous, will the #351 switch over to the east-bound track before Dearborn and go past the repairs on the west-bound tracks and then switch back over to the west-bound tracks and pull into Ann Arbor? (Likely) Being somewhat ignorant of how these things work, can they do this? I can't think of any other way unless everyone on the #351 from Detroit de-trains and climbs aboard the bus to Ann Arbor where another train sits and is designated as #351. (Not bloody likely)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that the train is running east of Ann Arbor at all? Seems most likely to me that they are terminating the train in Ann Arbor and just busing everyone to/from points east.

Edit To Add: Just checked Amtrak's Service Alerts and found that this is in fact the case. ALSO found that the east westbound bus is departing all points from Pontiac to Ann Arbor 45 minutes early! In other words, the bus is running 45 minutes before the schedule of the train. Be sure you're on time!

(From what I see in the schedule, you'd better be there at 6:05, not 6:30...or you may be left behind!)

Edit Again: It's the WESTbound bus which is leaving early!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that the train is running east of Ann Arbor at all? Seems most likely to me that they are terminating the train in Ann Arbor and just busing everyone to/from points east.

Edit To Add: Just checked Amtrak's Service Alerts and found that this is in fact the case. ALSO found that the eastbound bus is departing all points from Pontiac to Ann Arbor 45 minutes early! In other words, the bus is running 45 minutes before the schedule of the train. Be sure you're on time!

(From what I see in the schedule, you'd better be there at 6:05, not 6:30...or you may be left behind!)
Thanks ehbowen. I originally planned to arrive at Dearborn at 6:00 for the bus leaving at 6:30. But now, thanks to you, I'll plan to arrive at 5:45 or even earlier. I did check the Service Alerts. Thanks.

There was supposed to be a cutover on May 8 involving the transfer of control of the MI Line (Town Line-CP 21) from NS' Dearborn Train Dispatcher to Amtrak's Michigan Sub. Train Director, Chicago. From what I hear, unknown complications caused the cutover to be delayed to Thur. the 11th. Due to the work that is taking place to complete the cutover, #354 is annulled east of Ann Arbor so that the work can take place third trick. Since #351 turns from #354's equipment, this train originates in Ann Arbor.

Would be interested in finding out why Amtrak encountered no apparent difficulty in taking control of the Michigan Line dispatching from Kalamazoo to CP 21 but now has problems CP 21-Town Line.

Andy

I believe it's due to the fact that there are NS and Amtrak systems involved, and the two are not meshing too well.

Back