Rail Passes and Purchasing Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unlimited Community,

First-time "poster" - looking for some possible clarification on Rail Passes and the purchase of tickets.

Question:

Once we have purchased our Rail Passes how far in advance of a trip can we start purchasing tickets for our segments?

Background:

We live in Canada and are looking at starting a trip (Seattle- San Fran - Chicago- Seattle) in September 2020.

We’re wondering how far in advance we can buy Rail Passes before our planned start and how far in advance of the actual trip we can start making ticket reservations.

It looks from the Amtrak site that we can purchase the Passes online, and then have a year to obtain a Paper Pass. We then have 330 days to complete the trip. I also understand that we can start making ticket purchases once we have received the #'s for our Rail Passes (i.e. we do not actually need the physical Pass in hand before we can start the on-line purchase process).

Not clear how far out the reservations can be once we start making those on the Passes. The longer the better, for our purposes. I recall reading a 'thread' that suggested reservations only 6 months before a trip - but haven't come across the thread again.

I've sent an e-mail to Amtrak, but no response yet.

Planning a trip starting in mid-September 2020. Plan to pick up our Rail Pass in Seattle and start our 1st segment the same day.

Have read various 'threads' on the "best times" to make ticket reservations; 1 year, out 4-5 months out, closer to dates, etc. I'd be looking at a Roomette for all overnight segments of our trip and I'm a creature of certainty. So I'll likely be booking as soon as we've committed to the trip and as early as I'm able once I've purchased the Rail Passes.

Any insights would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

John Landis

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited.

In my opinion, the best time to make reservations is as soon as possible. Others will disagree. I have never used a rail pass, but considered one for my first cross country trip and learned that I would not be saving much, if any, money. I also learned that the rail pass added another layer of uncertainty to my trip, since it was possible that I would not be able to book a sleeper for every segment. I chose the simpliest method and it worked for me.

Hopefully, you will get responses from members who have used Rail Passes and have booked sleepers.

Unlimited Community,

First-time "poster" - looking for some possible clarification on Rail Passes and the purchase of tickets.

Question:

Once we have purchased our Rail Passes how far in advance of a trip can we start purchasing tickets for our segments?

Background:

We live in Canada and are looking at starting a trip (Seattle- San Fran - Chicago- Seattle) in September 2020.

We’re wondering how far in advance we can buy Rail Passes before our planned start and how far in advance of the actual trip we can start making ticket reservations.

It looks from the Amtrak site that we can purchase the Passes online, and then have a year to obtain a Paper Pass. We then have 330 days to complete the trip. I also understand that we can start making ticket purchases once we have received the #'s for our Rail Passes (i.e. we do not actually need the physical Pass in hand before we can start the on-line purchase process).

Not clear how far out the reservations can be once we start making those on the Passes. The longer the better, for our purposes. I recall reading a 'thread' that suggested reservations only 6 months before a trip - but haven't come across the thread again.

I've sent an e-mail to Amtrak, but no response yet.

Planning a trip starting in mid-September 2020. Plan to pick up our Rail Pass in Seattle and start our 1st segment the same day.

Have read various 'threads' on the "best times" to make ticket reservations; 1 year, out 4-5 months out, closer to dates, etc. I'd be looking at a Roomette for all overnight segments of our trip and I'm a creature of certainty. So I'll likely be booking as soon as we've committed to the trip and as early as I'm able once I've purchased the Rail Passes.

Any insights would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

John Landis
Hi there! Sorry for ressurecting this thread, but I came across it and saw you didn't get a definite answer, so in case you're still looking for one...

Just to be clear, Amtrak's USA Rail Passes cover coach travel only. If you want to upgrade to Business Class or a sleeping accommodation, you need to pay the upgrade charge.

Amtrak's website says:
All travel must be completed within 330 days of reserving the first travel segment or within the selected travel duration of the pass once the first travel segment is reserved, whichever comes first. Pass prices are subject to change and are not guaranteed until actual travel reservations are made.
^This is basically just saying it's the same policy as regular tickets: 11 months. You would either buy the pass first online and then call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) and say I would like to reserve seats on a USA Rail Pass, or do both over the phone. You would need to tell them if you want to upgrade any segments as mentioned before. If this would cost you money to call, you may be able to do this over email or the live chat on their website as well.

I would also recommend creating an Amtrak Guest Rewards account (free), which I believe is now the same as just creating a login on the Amtrak website. You will earn some points if you ever travel Amtrak again, and get to use the special customer service number which, while not 24/7 like the regular number, usually has shorter waiting times and more knowledgeable customer service agents. I always use that number even though I rarely ask about something related to the rewards program.

I would buy the pass and reserve your seats as soon as you're sure of your dates. Amtrak only allocates a certain number of seats available for reservation by Rail Pass holders (unknown how many). After the train sells enough seats or enough pass holders reserve them, you would need to choose another train, date, or pay for that segment.

Let me know if there's anything else I (or anyone else) can help with. Good luck, and have fun! It'll be an amazing experience! :)

Back