Questions (Amtrak vs Greyhound, DEN to ORL)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah civil asset forfeiture is absolutely total corrupt BS and I don't think many Americans know about it since it really only happens on long distance trains and buses. It makes me furious.
Civil asset forfeiture also occurs in cars, taxis, trucks, and airports. In fact there is basically no situation where it cannot occur under current law. Only two states have replaced civil forfeiture with criminal forfeiture, and even in those states the federal government can still confiscate your possessions with or without cause.

I took a greyhound ride from Albany to Springfield after doing the reverse on the Boston section of the LSL. (Was doing a foliage ride through the berkshires and needed to get back the same day) lets just say it was quite the comparison....while the greyhound bus was a newer one that has one of the nice new interiors, the seat is still nowhere near as comfortable as the Amfleet 2 coach was and legroom is like airline coach. The Amfleet 2 I was in on 449 also had gotten the refresh (the other coach on the train hadn’t.) not to mention the train ride only cost me 18 while the bus cost me over $60! Also on greyhound I had to sit next to a stranger and the quarters are much closer with that than on Amtrak. I think I’d rather ride Amtrak for 15 hours over 3 hours on a greyhound. Not to mention the Albany bus terminal is an absolute dump compared to the lovely Rensselaer station.

Yeah civil asset forfeiture is absolutely total corrupt BS and I don't think many Americans know about it since it really only happens on long distance trains and buses. It makes me furious.

It seems anti-Constitutional to me. If I understand the decision correctly the Supreme Court in February of this year limited its practice - but didn't abolish it. I don't know why they didn't. It's not just on buses and trains, I've heard of it happening to people driving their cars who were stopped for minor violations. In fact it happens to people who aren't traveling at all

If we decided to leave the stations to get something to eat, what are the best restaurants to eat in:

Chicago:

Washington DC:

Also, if I use an electric shaver on the train, will anyone hear it or question the noise?

If we decided to leave the stations to get something to eat, what are the best restaurants to eat in: Chicago: Washington DC:
I'm partial to places like Lou Malnati's and The Berghoff in Chicago but those are just two suggestions among many excellent choices. Washington D.C. has an especially varied ethnic restaurant scene, so I'd be inclined to try new cuisines that are difficult or impossible to find in my neck of the woods. Do be aware that costs for meals in both of these cities can range from inexpensive to stratospheric. You could write a novel-sized book on a topic such as this and there are several prior threads with numerous contributors suggesting dozens of options.

Also, if I use an electric shaver on the train, will anyone hear it or question the noise?
Somebody may hear it but I'm not sure why they'd be concerned enough to question anyone about it. I guess if you started shaving in the lounge or dining car it might garner some attention. If you stick to a restroom or sleeper compartment I doubt anyone would be alarmed about it.

Last edited:
If we decided to leave the stations to get something to eat, what are the best restaurants to eat in:

Chicago:

Washington DC:

In addition to numerous restaurants in DC and Chicago, there are many options inside each station. I usually do not have a lot of time in Chicago to venture very far. Last time I was in Chicago, a local friend picked me up and she drove to Lou Malnati's. Normally, I will just walk across the street to Beggar's Pizza. They have decent pizza and local beer.

In DC, I usually have more time. If time is short or weather is not great, I sometimes walk across the street to the Dubliner. During my last trip, I took the Circulator bus to Georgetown and had a great lunch at Martin's Tavern (and sat in the booth where JFK wrote his inauguaral address). I love to walk, so I may walk a bit further next week during my layover between 98 and 29 and eat a more substantial lunch at a restaurant near the Capitol.

Chicago:

Washington DC:

Depending on how long a layover you have will determine if you could venture out of the station. In Chicago there are plenty of places to eat in the station itself, also in D.C. Shavers are ok if you're in a roomette or bedroom. I wouldn't use one in coach unless it's in the lavatory.

Yes, with your short layovers (IF your arriving trains are close to on schedule), I'd suggest staying in the stations. I'd be more concerned with making the connection. But if you don't, then you will have an entire day to explore Chicago / WDC. Let's hope for the former.

I don't know about anyone here but whenever you are on the train & the train is running late, are you hoping to catch the train you are supposed to be on or are you secretly hoping you get to stay in a hotel for the night so you can see the sights?

Since for at least the past fifteen years I've been in a sleeper more often than not, I want to catch the train which I have a reservation for and not be bustituted or forced to play the lottery for the remaining sleepers on the next train out. So far (fingers crossed), so good.

I don't know about anyone here but whenever you are on the train & the train is running late, are you hoping to catch the train you are supposed to be on or are you secretly hoping you get to stay in a hotel for the night so you can see the sights?
I always am a bit anxious when on a train that is running significantly late and I have a connection. I have missed connections from the Silver Meteor to Empire Service and Acela trains, but fortunately, I have not missed a connection to an overnight train. I sometimes schedule a layover in Chicago to avoid the angst and the possibility of missing a connection. I have never secretly hoped to miss a connection and stay in a hotel. If I wanted to stay in a hotel and sightsee, I would have planned an overnight in advance.

Does Chicago Union Station & DC Union Station decorate for Christmas?

Also, do any of you have videos of the train trip or photos? I love watching videos & looking at photos.

Now that some of the trains have those boxed meals, is the Cafe car crowded now? Does the soda come in bottles?

If I purchase the $10 thing with the blanket, eye shade, ear plugs [which I do not need or use] & the inflatable pillow, do I purchase it in the station or on the train? Where on the train would I purchase it? How comfortable & big is the inflatable pillow?

If they're still stocking it (big if), you would purchase it in the cafe car. If not, then you're out of luck until your next connection. I'd bring along a throw from home and maybe a travel pillow (MyPillow sells a good one) just in case.

Soda comes in cans. Whether the cafe car is busy or not may depend on the passenger load. I traveled on the Silver Meteor on October 3, with a low passenger load. The cafe car was not very busy, and the cafe attendant was helping the LSA in the sleeper lounge. However, I was on the Silver Meteor in September when the train was completely sold out. The cafe car was slammed and the lines were quite long.

Washington Union Station has decorated for the holidays in the past. I do not recall passing through Chicago over the holidays (but will this year).

I have the active train map ( https://asm.transitdocs.com/map ) running on another computer which mostly runs background apps. It's a nice night light.
So I have watched Chicago, LA, DAL and SAS out of curiosity. Using that and consulting the schedule, I pretty much know what can be depended on for a connection, and I've come to the conclusion that if you don't have 5 hours as a scheduled connection time, prepare for an overnight stay. And still no guarantee.
But IMHO, if I have the time, at least one if not more overnights in LA, CHI, and NOL are well worth the time.
When I ride Amtrak, I don't want the tsouris of worrying about a connection. It interferes with my enjoyment of the AMTRAK experience, and that's a no-no.

Well, the fact that we need to build in extra overnights whenever we've got a connection between two LD trains interferes with MY enjoyment of the Amtrak experience. :(

I've personally never understood the logic.... wouldn't you feel silly if you plan an extra overnight and the day-of connection would have been fine but the next days train gets cancelled for some reason? Delays and cancellations can happen with any form of transportation and I would just assume plan for everything to go right and then adjust as needed.

I don't think I've ever missed a connection on any form of transportation.. had some really close calls, but never missed one. I have had trains and flights just cancel for various reasons and one flight was delayed to the point that I knew I would miss my connection so I just cancelled it.

I'm aware that others have had worse luck than me and if it lowers your stress when traveling.. nothing wrong with allowing for an extra over night if you choose... just I personally have never seen the need especially with amtrak "guaranteed" connections.

Typically, a week after a major holiday, travel slows down, and Christmas travel has not yet began.
So I think you picked a good time to go.

You might consider checking the Amsnag site, and compare fares over the surrounding dates. That might give an indication of demand...

December 1, 2019 is the Sunday after Thanksgiving. You should expect trains to be completely jammed with passengers -- just like the airlines.

December 1, 2019 is the Sunday after Thanksgiving. You should expect trains to be completely jammed with passengers -- just like the airlines.
Oops...my bad...thought Thanksgiving was the week before....
In that case, you’re right...thats the busiest day of the year.

Back