Questions About Roomettes on the Silver Star

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoanieBlon

Service Attendant
My husband and I are planning a trip north from Tampa to Washington DC on the Silver Star. We typically book a bedroom when we do overnight trips, but this time, because the trip involves just one night on the train, we've decided to get a roomette. Another deciding factor was that roomettes on the Silver Star each have their own private toilet that can be used during the night. The price difference is substantial ~ $204 for a roomette vs. $508 for a bedroom! :eek:

I'm getting ready to make our reservations by phone and would like to know if the right or the left side of the train is preferable for the views when heading north. I'd also like to know which end of the car is best ~ next to the shower, or away from it. Does anyone have experience with the roomette right next to the shower? Do you get noise from it?

viewsc.jpg

Also, I assume that because the train leaves Tampa at 5:17 pm that we'll have no problems getting our evening meals after we board.

Thanks for any advice you're able to provide! :hi:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken the Silver Star to WAS from Orlando and always had dinner on the train. I normally travel alone so I request an odd numbered roomette. Every time I have been on a Silver, the odd numbered roomettes have the larger seat facing forward (and the beds). I prefer lower numbered roomettes because that puts me more or less in the middle of the car. That is my preference. In my travels, I have noticed that the shower on the Silvers does not get used very often. Some SCA's store garbage in the shower room, which pretty much discourages its use.

I have taken the Silver Star to WAS from Orlando and always had dinner on the train. I normally travel alone so I request an odd numbered roomette. Every time I have been on a Silver, the odd numbered roomettes have the larger seat facing forward (and the beds). I prefer lower numbered roomettes because that puts me more or less in the middle of the car. That is my preference. In my travels, I have noticed that the shower on the Silvers does not get used very often. Some SCA's store garbage in the shower room, which pretty much discourages its use.
:blink: <_< :angry2: If that's the case on OUR trip, my husband's going to be a VERY unhappy camper! That would certainly bring on a number of things ~

1. Me confronting the SCA.

2. NO TIP for the SCA.

3. An immediate complaint to Amtrak Customer Service noting the SCA's name.

I don't know if one side is really better. The best views that I recall were the River crossings, and fortunately, the view would often be about the same in either direction. We had a bedroom on the right (East) side. It can get sunny on that side in the early morning. But if it is overcast, not an issue.

BTW - we had a bedroom on the Star and I think the connecting door rattled - the door between Bedroom A and Bedroom B. That door is rarely used, but it will allow for a group of travelers to open up both bedrooms as a large suite. However, it can rattle, I should have reported it to Amtrak. Seemed noisy, so anyway, at least with a Roomette it will be a lower fare - and no rattling, connecting door to the next room to worry about.

:blink: <_< :angry2: If that's the case on OUR trip, my husband's going to be a VERY unhappy camper! That would certainly bring on a number of things ~

2. NO TIP for the SCA.

I think if there is something stored in the room, if you mention to the SCA that you wish to take a shower and ask the SCA where you should put the stuff, the SCA will accomodate you. I have done that in the past. Since it is one night trip, most people do not take showers.

I agree that a roomette would be just fine for a one night trip- especially given the price difference. You can request a certain number roomette- but please be aware that depending on how they arrange the train cars for that particular trip you will never know what side of the train the odd or even numbered roomettes will be on. That route isn't particularly scenic until you get into VA before arriving in DC and then both sides are about the same so I'm not sure it would matter anyway. The only recommendation I would have would be to avoid #11 or #12 to cut down on the noise from the shower or the door on the end of the car opening and closing. Have a great trip!

As to your ideas below here is a polite suggestion:

If that's the case on OUR trip, my husband's going to be a VERY unhappy camper! That would certainly bring on a number of things ~

2. NO TIP for the SCA.

I have taken quite a few trips in viewliner roomettes and haven't ever seen the garbage stored in the shower room. But if it were-- rather than immediately proceeding to steps 1,2, and 3 above why not try this first: "Hi- I noticed that there was something in the shower room- would you mind moving it for just a few minutes so I can take a shower? Thanks so much!" I think this would get you what you wanted right away and via a pleasant interaction rather than a confrontation, no tip, and immediate complaint.

I have been on the Silvers several times & I prefer rooms away from the shower! I have never experienced a shower used for garbage!!!

Have Fun

I have taken quite a few trips in viewliner roomettes and haven't ever seen the garbage stored in the shower room. But if it were-- rather than immediately proceeding to steps 1,2, and 3 above why not try this first: "Hi- I noticed that there was something in the shower room- would you mind moving it for just a few minutes so I can take a shower? Thanks so much!" I think this would get you what you wanted right away and via a pleasant interaction rather than a confrontation, no tip, and immediate complaint.
You're right, of course. :blush: That was sort of a knee jerk reaction on my part when thinking about how my husband might react.

Just observed todays SM and the sleepers were on the rear with the roomettes to the rear of ea. car That would put odd no's. on the east side. Try for as low a no. as possible away from the trucks. Viewliners sometimes have a pronounced horiz. jerk in the high no. rooms esp. going through turnouts etc. Also, the best view is on the east side between Richmond & DC......Potomac .....but a better view of DC on the west side.

2. NO TIP for the SCA.

I think if there is something stored in the room, if you mention to the SCA that you wish to take a shower and ask the SCA where you should put the stuff, the SCA will accomodate you. I have done that in the past. Since it is one night trip, most people do not take showers.
On more than one occasion I've seen both suitcases (from those who don't realize that they can't bring the kitchen sink) and/or a big garbage bag stored in the shower simply because the attendant's have no other place to put things. I've even seen laundry bags in there, especially as the train is nearing the end of the trip.

I've never however had an attendant the refused to move them for me when I asked. Usually they have to end up putting things in their own roomette, since again there is a lack of storage space within the car. Of course if they were to refuse to move it for me, you can rest assured that they'll find it sitting in the hall as I will move it for them.

But I think that would be highly unusual that they would actually refuse a polite request.

2. NO TIP for the SCA.

I think if there is something stored in the room, if you mention to the SCA that you wish to take a shower and ask the SCA where you should put the stuff, the SCA will accommodate you. I have done that in the past. Since it is one night trip, most people do not take showers.
I have to say that IMHO, Joanie's reaction is a gross over reaction.

I have traveled on the Silvers for years. Yes, occasionally, the SCA has his "extra stuff" stored in the shower room. I have never had a problem in telling the SCA I would like to take a shower, and the SCA would quickly remove his stuff (and usually offer an apology too).

The only time I would say I have seen garbage (actually dirty linen), is toward the very end of the trip, when the SCA is cleaning up all the empty roomettes. It is pretty late in the morning, and probably by experience, there are few if any passengers who aren't ready dressed and ready to de-train.

Hope this is not getting too far away from the original purpose of the topic, but I have a major issue with using a shower on the Meteor, which is my usual way to connect from SAV to the Cardinal in DC. IIRC, the trackage is CSX along this route and not the smoothest for passenger travel. The experience inside the stall can give one the feeling of being a human pinball.

My preferred method of LD travel is by Amtrak, but this issue often keeps me in a coach seat and relying on the "Bird Bath" method to stay freshened, thus reserving the expense instead for a more comfortable hotel shower after any overnight journey.

Would anyone here believe the Star would be any different?

Hope this is not getting too far away from the original purpose of the topic, but I have a major issue with using a shower on the Meteor, which is my usual way to connect from SAV to the Cardinal in DC. IIRC, the trackage is CSX along this route and not the smoothest for passenger travel. The experience inside the stall can give one the feeling of being a human pinball.
Yep, I agree. :giggle:

However, I have learned to time my showers with stations stops, and try to complete my shower while the train isn't moving.

Yep, I agree. :giggle:

However, I have learned to time my showers with stations stops, and try to complete my shower while the train isn't moving.
I have had roomette #11 and never noticed objectional sounds from the shower.There is a changing area between room #11 and the small shower stall. I agree with the quotes above concerning the tail wagging movement of the Viewliner when it is the last car on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back