Question on Photo ID

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Astrid

Hi again all you knowledgeable people,

We intend to use our driver's licenses (they have photos) for ID, however, my husband's is up for renewal- and the wonderful state of RI takes away your old license, and prints out a huge piece of paper (with a poor photo) with all the proper info. They call it a temporary license, then they issue you a new one by very late mail. The temporary license qualifies as a driver's license until you finally receive a proper one (this takes weeks). We are afraid my husband may not receive a new one in time, and we worry that we might get some flack with his trying to use the temp. license (with so-so ID photo).

Any thoughts on this is much appreciated (we leave BOS S. Sta. on LSL stubb train for ALB/CHI. Apr.15)

Thanks once again,

Astrid

I know what you're talking about - I also live in RI and get that also. But I'll tell you this - ID checks on the train are very random! Maybe I'm lucky, but I have never been picked! ;) (The only time I've been asked for ID is at the ticket window they asked to see my AAA card, because I used the AAA fare.)

But since the RI temporary license is valid for driving, and for ID to show law enforcement, I don't see why Amtrak would not accept it!

Amtrak in theory should accept that, but one can never tell. Especially since no one at Amtrak has received any training on ID's, so they may not know that is RI policy. If you have a passport or other photo ID, I'd bring that along. If you have no other alternative ID's, then I would suggest trying to find and print out something from the RI DMV that indicates that this is their policy, to take the old one and mail a new one, but that this photocopy is a valid license until the real one arrives.

Amtrak in theory should accept that, but one can never tell. Especially since no one at Amtrak has received any training on ID's, so they may not know that is RI policy. If you have a passport or other photo ID, I'd bring that along. If you have no other alternative ID's, then I would suggest trying to find and print out something from the RI DMV that indicates that this is their policy, to take the old one and mail a new one, but that this photocopy is a valid license until the real one arrives.
Alan has given good advise. I would like to add that MrFSS advice is also good. I now use my Passport for everything, except driving, because it is so accepted. And in the employement field it is the only one required, not one from column A or one from Column B and C. If you have changed Jobs reciently you understand. Each time boarding a plane or picking up my tickets thats all I have used. I also dont remember if I ever was asked for ID while on board but I always have my passport with my tickets if needed.

Unless RI law prohibits it, he could also make a photocopy of his existing license, write PHOTOCOPY underneath it on the copy so that nobody can accuse you of fraud, and that, along with the temporary, certainly ought to be acceptable, I would think, especially if the two photos at least resemble each other. The passport idea is also a good one, although I am a little leery of doing that. I keep it in a safeguarded place unless I know for a fact I will need it, because I DON'T want to give myself an opportunity to lose it!

And when in doubt, go down to the station in advance, or call, and talk to your local Amtrak station agent. Theoretically if he doesn't know, he can find out.

I know what you're talking about - I also live in RI and get that also. But I'll tell you this - ID checks on the train are very random! Maybe I'm lucky, but I have never been picked! ;) (The only time I've been asked for ID is at the ticket window they asked to see my AAA card, because I used the AAA fare.)
The crews aboard the Texas Eagle routinely require ID to board, in addition to the ticket window (if you do not use the QuikTrak machine)

Unless RI law prohibits it, he could also make a photocopy of his existing license, write PHOTOCOPY underneath it on the copy ...
Unless you made a photocopy before you went to the DMV office, that would not be an option. In RI, as soon as you get to the window to process your renewal, they take your license and keep it! All you get back is the mentioned "temporary license"!

Since OP's husband has already been to the DMV, a photocopy of the old license is not possible.

Unless RI law prohibits it, he could also make a photocopy of his existing license, write PHOTOCOPY underneath it on the copy ...
Unless you made a photocopy before you went to the DMV office, that would not be an option. In RI, as soon as you get to the window to process your renewal, they take your license and keep it! All you get back is the mentioned "temporary license"!

Since OP's husband has already been to the DMV, a photocopy of the old license is not possible.
"Traveler" You are correct! :rolleyes: Leave it to little Rhody- also photocopies of RI licenses are impossible to copy, they come out weirdly smudged and blackend, just to prevent copying. I'm surprised that's not so with other states. Don't have passports (long since run out). Would call an agent, but some are better informed than others, and Boston may operate to its own tune (Boston a bit far to go to check in person- also PVD too far :) ) Guess we'll just take our chances, and it's even possible that little Rhody will get it together and actually mail the license in two weeks. My husband is 74 so they may look and say 'No way is this man dangerous' :p And I'll be with him using my license -

Thanks all for the thoughts :)

Astrid

An expired passport should still be valid for identification inside the U.S.A., even if it would not valid to enter or leave the country. You don't change who you are when it expires.
Agreed, if you still have the passport, then bring it with you. I doubt that anyone at Amtrak would even notice that it has expired. Again, no one at Amtrak has ever received one minute of training on ID's. So even an expired passport, along with the temporaray DL should be more than enough to satisfy Amtrak's ID check, should you actually encounter one.

An expired passport should still be valid for identification inside the U.S.A., even if it would not valid to enter or leave the country. You don't change who you are when it expires.
Agreed, if you still have the passport, then bring it with you. I doubt that anyone at Amtrak would even notice that it has expired. Again, no one at Amtrak has ever received one minute of training on ID's. So even an expired passport, along with the temporaray DL should be more than enough to satisfy Amtrak's ID check, should you actually encounter one.
Thanks again everyone- yeah, we do have expired passports, good thought. Will bring them.

Cheers,

Astrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back