Question about the 10,000 point Wyndham Reward stay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, about this promotion:

When I registered, it immediately said "reward yourself even faster. Book now and earn a bonus of 10,000 miles." (points).

Of course, I immediately booked a stay at a Days Inn. The way I, along with a few other people understood this, is that you will get 10,000 points just for this ONE BOOKING ALONE, and that you will get your other 10,000 AFTER your other three bookings? This BONUS word is confusing me, what's going on here? Then am I really going to get 20,000 points?????

I can't wait, and I have booked this one plus three others (just to be safe) one week after the other, but this has been bugging me since.

And additionally, with this summer power point thing, I am getting an additional 100 points for each one?

When I registered, it immediately said "reward yourself even faster. Book now and earn a bonus of 10,000 miles." (points).

Of course, I immediately booked a stay at a Days Inn. The way I, along with a few other people understood this, is that you will get 10,000 points just for this ONE BOOKING ALONE, and that you will get your other 10,000 AFTER your other three bookings? This BONUS word is confusing me, what's going on here? Then am I really going to get 20,000 points?????

I can't wait, and I have booked this one plus three others (just to be safe) one week after the other, but this has been bugging me since.

And additionally, with this summer power point thing, I am getting an additional 100 points for each one?
If I recall, the 10,000 points is only availble at their premium brand hotels, not Days Inn etc... Read the fine print on the offer.

If I recall, the 10,000 points is only availble at their premium brand hotels, not Days Inn etc... Read the fine print on the offer.

No, it says it here:

Earn 10,000+ points with Wyndham Rewards Triple Stay.

Earn 10,000 bonus points when you stay at 3 brands that participate in the Wyndham Rewards loyalty program from May 14 - September 10, 2009. This is in addition to the standard points you earn for qualified stays. There are 11 brands to choose from, and over 6,000 locations - from affordable hotels off the highway to vacation resorts to all-suite extended stay properties. Stay anytime-no blackout dates.

Wyndham Worldwide family of hotels

* Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®

* Ramada®

* Days Inn®

* Super 8®

* Wingate® by Wyndham

* Baymont Inns and Suites®

* Microtel Inn & Suites®

* Hawthorn Suites®

* Howard Johnson®

* Travelodge® (US hotels only)

* Knights Inn®

No, it says it here:

Earn 10,000+ points with Wyndham Rewards Triple Stay.

Earn 10,000 bonus points when you stay at 3 brands that participate in the Wyndham Rewards loyalty program from May 14 - September 10, 2009. This is in addition to the standard points you earn for qualified stays. There are 11 brands to choose from, and over 6,000 locations - from affordable hotels off the highway to vacation resorts to all-suite extended stay properties. Stay anytime-no blackout dates.

Wyndham Worldwide family of hotels

* Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®

* Ramada®

* Days Inn®

* Super 8®

* Wingate® by Wyndham

* Baymont Inns and Suites®

* Microtel Inn & Suites®

* Hawthorn Suites®

* Howard Johnson®

* Travelodge® (US hotels only)

* Knights Inn®
You are right, I was referring to an offer they had for their premium brands. The 10,000 is for the triple stay and it is only 10,000, not 20,000.

I was thinking of the 500 points/night which is available only at the premium brands:

For stays at participating Hawthorn Suites® (U.S hotels only) and participating Wyndham Hotels and Resorts properties, members will receive the regular five hundred (500) points per stay

Last edited by a moderator:

I would be terribly surprised if you were awarded 10k points for one booking. Certainly there is nothing in the T & Cs about that. I imagine that the screen was poorly written, and meant to say "Book now to get started on earning your 10k points." On the other hand, can you get 10k AGR points with 3 stays, then 10k Continental miles for 3 more stays, which can be transfered to AGR?

As far as the power point promo, I read it to mean that you can get one 200 point bonus for each individual hotel partner (Wyndham Rewards, Hilton, etc.) The key point: "Once registered, one-time partner bonuses will be awarded for each unique program partner transaction." Again, not very clearly written.

YMMV, of course. I've had several thousand extra points mistakenly credited by account for various promotions, while other things have not posted at all.

So we can also get 10,000 miles from Continental OnePass? I've already got my three stays for the AGR award. Points have not posted yet, but thats partly because my third stay was last night.

I'm also guessing I'll have to temporarily change my Wyndham Rewards to get Continental miles instead of AGR points.

So we can also get 10,000 miles from Continental OnePass? I've already got my three stays for the AGR award. Points have not posted yet, but thats partly because my third stay was last night.
I'm also guessing I'll have to temporarily change my Wyndham Rewards to get Continental miles instead of AGR points.
I am not sure whether you can or not. To be safe, we're booking 3 stays on my Wyndham Rewards account and three on Mrs. Ispolkom's.

I am not sure whether you can or not. To be safe, we're booking 3 stays on my Wyndham Rewards account and three on Mrs. Ispolkom's.
A recent e-mail from Wyndham Rewards confirms: "Stay with three different brands through September 10, 2009 and fly away with 10,000 bonus miles, in addition to the standard miles you earn for each stay.

Stay all summer long - earn unlimited bonus miles and no blackout dates!"

So you can earn the 10k reward multiple times, straight to AGR.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that Wyndham reward points are not equal to Amtrak points.

My Wyndham points get transferred automatically to Amtrak but at a lesser amount.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that Wyndham reward points are not equal to Amtrak points. My Wyndham points get transferred automatically to Amtrak but at a lesser amount.
You are correct about Wyndham Rewards points, but this promotion allows you to earn 10,000 AGR points (or 10k miles on a variety of airlines) for three stays. I wish they would be a bit clearer, and not just say "points," but the similar offers for airline miles make the offer clearer.

One catch is that your Wyndham Rewards profile has to be set up to earn AGR points (at a rate of 2 points per dollar, I believe), not Wyndham Rewards points. I prefer it that way, myself, as it's one less set of points to worry about.

One catch is that your Wyndham Rewards profile has to be set up to earn AGR points (at a rate of 2 points per dollar, I believe), not Wyndham Rewards points. I prefer it that way, myself, as it's one less set of points to worry about.
For the duration of this promotion or when they offer other special deals, like they've done in the past, then yes you want your profile set to earn AGR points.

However, when there are no special promotions running, you are doing yourself a disservice to keep your account set to earn AGR points. If you set if for direct AGR points, you get 2 points per dollar spent on the room. If you set your account to earn hotel points, then you get 4 points per dollar spent when you later transfer those hotel points to AGR points.

Example:

Spend $800 on hotel rooms with Wyndham and with direct AGR points, you'll earn 1,600 AGR points.

With your profile set to Hotel points, you get 10 points per dollar spent. With $800 spent on rooms, that's 8,000 points since they give 10 points per dollar spent. Once you've collected 8,000 hotel points, you can then go to the website and transfer to AGR in blocks of 8,000 hotel points for 3,200 AGR points or 4 AGR points per dollar spent.

It's a bit more work on your part and you have to save up the points, but the benefit is much better. :)

However, when there are no special promotions running, you are doing yourself a disservice to keep your account set to earn AGR points. If you set if for direct AGR points, you get 2 points per dollar spent on the room. If you set your account to earn hotel points, then you get 4 points per dollar spent when you later transfer those hotel points to AGR points.
You're absolutely right about the math, but I have to balance my obsessive-compulsive desire to maximize AGR points with my neurotic fear of getting points stranded.

The problem is this: I don't stay in motels much, even inexpensive Wyndham Rewards ones. I doubt I'll total ten stays this year. So it would take a long time to build up 8000 Wyndham Rewards points to transfer, and I'd have the risk (however low) that Wyndham Rewards would pull out of its agreement with AGR, as Midway Airlines did last fall. So getting AGR points directly, while not optimal mathematically, works out for me, personally. Travelers who have more stays and/or are less neurotic than I might use your and Roger's plan.

In any case, I'm sure that you'd agree that it's a good idea for anyone working on this promotion to double-check their preferences with Wyndham Rewards.

You're absolutely right about the math, but I have to balance my obsessive-compulsive desire to maximize AGR points with my neurotic fear of getting points stranded.

The problem is this: I don't stay in motels much, even inexpensive Wyndham Rewards ones. I doubt I'll total ten stays this year. So it would take a long time to build up 8000 Wyndham Rewards points to transfer, and I'd have the risk (however low) that Wyndham Rewards would pull out of its agreement with AGR, as Midway Airlines did last fall. So getting AGR points directly, while not optimal mathematically, works out for me, personally. Travelers who have more stays and/or are less neurotic than I might use your and Roger's plan.

In any case, I'm sure that you'd agree that it's a good idea for anyone working on this promotion to double-check their preferences with Wyndham Rewards.
Personally I see a Wyndham property once, maybe twice, a year at most. I will say that I usually spend at least 4 or 5 nights during that annual stay, but it's not like I spend copious amounts of time at Wyndham properties. I'm a Hilton man, where I get both hotel points and AGR points for each and every stay. And if Hilton where to ever put a property in Timmins, Ontario, the place where I currently end up at a Wyndham property, I might well jump ship entirely.

And yes, I agree that anyone in that program should analyze their point earning choices.

For the duration of this promotion or when they offer other special deals, like they've done in the past, then yes you want your profile set to earn AGR points.

Example:

Spend $800 on hotel rooms with Wyndham and with direct AGR points, you'll earn 1,600 AGR points.

With your profile set to Hotel points, you get 10 points per dollar spent. With $800 spent on rooms, that's 8,000 points since they give 10 points per dollar spent. Once you've collected 8,000 hotel points, you can then go to the website and transfer to AGR in blocks of 8,000 hotel points for 3,200 AGR points or 4 AGR points per dollar spent.

It's a bit more work on your part and you have to save up the points, but the benefit is much better. :)
Wow, thats amazing. I still learn something new everyday. I'm a Wyndham man and usually like to stay at Super 8, because I'm cheap. Wish I had realized this trick earlier because I stay at Super 8's fairly often.

On another note, has anyone made their 3 stays yet? I have and not gotten my 10,000 points yet. Maybe they wait until the end of the promotion?

Example:

Wow, thats amazing. I still learn something new everyday. I'm a Wyndham man and usually like to stay at Super 8, because I'm cheap. Wish I had realized this trick earlier because I stay at Super 8's fairly often.

On another note, has anyone made their 3 stays yet? I have and not gotten my 10,000 points yet. Maybe they wait until the end of the promotion?
Another twist to this promotion: stay at certain Wyndham Rewards motels in July and August and receive an additional 1000 Wyndham Rewards points, on top of your AGR points and the 10k bonus for 3 stays. Details here.

Sadly, none of the three motels I stayed at on last weekend's minor league baseball tour qualified. Those were under Mrs. Ispolkom's Wyndham Rewards account. Now we start on my account with a stay next week in Halifax that is involved in this promotion. Alas, we're flying there on a United CRJ, not taking VIA Rail.

An additional question.....

I just stayed at three different Wyndham brands and used the AAA rate for all three. I now see on the Wyndham 10,000 AGR points disclosure says 'qualifying rates' only. Does anyone know if the AAA discount rate qualifies?

If it doesn't, I would be upset. The total savings was under $20 for the three stays.

I just stayed at three different Wyndham brands and used the AAA rate for all three. I now see on the Wyndham 10,000 AGR points disclosure says 'qualifying rates' only. Does anyone know if the AAA discount rate qualifies?

If it doesn't, I would be upset. The total savings was under $20 for the three stays.
This summer I stayed at a Hilton and a Hampton using the senior rates and the points from both posted to my account. I wouldn't see why AAA wouldn't.

I wouldn't worry. I prepaid some stays, and used a government rate at another motel. My bet is that anything reserved through the Web site is okay, and that the "qualifying rates" language is there to exclude bookings made through third-party Web site, like Orbitz or Expedia. I remember last summer I didn't get AGR points for an orbitz-booked stay at a Thriftlodge.

Did your AGR points post from Wyndham rewards? If they did, I think you're okay. Of course, I could be wrong, and we'll find out in October, but I feel comfortable if the AGR points have posted.

I wouldn't worry. I prepaid some stays, and used a government rate at another motel. My bet is that anything reserved through the Web site is okay, and that the "qualifying rates" language is there to exclude bookings made through third-party Web site, like Orbitz or Expedia. I remember last summer I didn't get AGR points for an orbitz-booked stay at a Thriftlodge.

Did your AGR points post from Wyndham rewards? If they did, I think you're okay. Of course, I could be wrong, and we'll find out in October, but I feel comfortable if the AGR points have posted.
Two of the three already have posted to the Wyndham site (AGR points, not Wyndham points). I'll watch my AGR account closely to make sure it goes through.

FYI, all three Wyndham stays posted to my AGR account, even with the AAA discount. Bring on the 10,000 points! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Well, it's getting to be about that time to ask if anyone has had the 10,000 bonus points hit their account yet.

Well, it's getting to be about that time to ask if anyone has had the 10,000 bonus points hit their account yet.
IIRC, while the last check-in date was mid-September, the end of the promotion was mid-October. I guess they think people would stay at their hotels for up to a month.

Anyway, I wouldn't look for it until the end of October or November. I hope I am wrong. As I said, Bring on the 10,000 points!

The 10,000 AGR points showed up in Mrs. Ispolkom's Wyndham Rewards account on 10/9. They should be in her AGR account tomorrow, since transfers seem to usually happen on Wednesdays. There's nothing in my account yet.

The 10,000 AGR points showed up in Mrs. Ispolkom's Wyndham Rewards account on 10/9. They should be in her AGR account tomorrow, since transfers seem to usually happen on Wednesdays. There's nothing in my account yet.
Same for me. The 10K is in my Wyndham account.

Woo Hoo!

FYI: I received the 10,000 points in my AGR account today.

Not bad... Three rooms, each around $100, and I get points for half of a free two-zone trip that could be worth well over $1,000! So, I spend roughly $300 on hotels, get to stay at the hotels for an Amtrak excursion (duh), AND get what could be worth over $500!

And they say there is no such thing as a free lunch. ;)

As the (very annoying) Pizza Hut commercial says... JACKPOT!

Back