Question about bustitutions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ridden the CONO several times from Newbern, Tn to Chicago. I park my car and board at Newbern, Tn. I have never had a problem when there had to be a bustitution fortunately. However, I have noticed several of them this year.

My question is, if there were to be a bustitution between Chicago and Memphis, would the bus take me to Newbern, Tennessee where my car would be parked. If not, and they took me to a major town I would have no way to get back to Newbern and get my car! I would really appreciate input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden the CONO several times from Newbern, Tn to Chicago. I park my car and board at Newbern, Tn. I have never had a problem when there had to be a bustitution fortunately. However, I have noticed several of them this year.

My question is, if there were to be a bustitution between Chicago and Memphis, would the bus take me to Newbern, Tennessee where my car would be parked. If not, and they took me to a major town I would have no way to get back to Newbern and get my car! I would really appreciate input.
When there is a Bustitution the passengers are carried on buses on highways that more or less follow the route of the train you are ticketed on!

If your stop is between the end point of the Bustitution and where you board the bus, you will be dropped off there. If not, Amtrak will make alternate arrangements, whether by Van, taxi or car but will eventually get you there!

For example, the Texas Eagle frequently expierences flooding between Ft Worth and San Antonio as well as P-42 failures. ( the Eagle runs with One Engine.)

I have been in Taylor(a small town/the last stop before Austin) on point run/day

Trips, and have had Chartered AmBuses pick me up for the 20 mile run to Austin.( some days I was the only passenger, other times there were several passengers).

Passengers from stops between Cleburne and Taylor were on the bus, while those riding between Ft. Worth and San Antonio were on Express Busses that ran non-stop from FTW-SAS.

I have been bustituted from Los Angles to San Diego, and from Portland to Spokane. Each time, the bus (or in the case of PDX to SPK, one of the two buses) made all the station stops AT TRAIN STATIONS that the train was scheduled to make. They were, however, allowed to skip stops where there were no passengers ticketed to board or alight. I assume they did not have to keep train time at those stops because there was no track dispatching issue, LOL. There was a conductor on each bus keeping time, just as there would have been on the train.

I have been bustituted from Los Angles to San Diego, and from Portland to Spokane. Each time, the bus (or in the case of PDX to SPK, one of the two buses) made all the station stops AT TRAIN STATIONS that the train was scheduled to make. They were, however, allowed to skip stops where there were no passengers ticketed to board or alight. I assume they did not have to keep train time at those stops because there was no track dispatching issue, LOL. There was a conductor on each bus keeping time, just as there would have been on the train.
My one experience with bustitution was also from Portland to Spokane and my experience was that of Oregon Pioneer's, with the bus making all stops, with the exception of Wishram where no passengers were getting on and off. There was also a conductor aboard the the bus keeping time, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back