Pros/Cons: Lower Level or Upper Level Superliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota 400

Engineer
I would appreciate learning the opinions of those who have traveled in the Lower Level Roomettes. And, of particular interest to me, would be those who have traveled in both of these accommodations.

Any advantages or disadvantages of which you are aware of the Lower Level Roomettes would be very much appreciated by me.

Thank you.

Here is a recent thread on the topic.
Many thanks for the direction to this thread. It was interesting.

A "small potatoes" question/concern, I know, but if one books a lower level Roomette, when the Dining Car Lead Attendant comes through the train to make meal reservations, does that person know that a trip down the stairs to the Lower Level is required to inquire about the guest in a Lower Level Sleeping Car accommodation might wish?

A "small potatoes" question/concern, I know, but if one books a lower level Roomette, when the Dining Car Lead Attendant comes through the train to make meal reservations, does that person know that a trip down the stairs to the Lower Level is required to inquire about the guest in a Lower Level Sleeping Car accommodation might wish?
Yes, at least when I've had a room downstairs.

Another advantage is that it's possible to clean the outside of your window if the platform is on your side.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience on the lower level was horrendous, and I never did it again. I was in a roomette, and a family was in the family room. However not all of the family was in the family room; some stray members were in a roomette also on the lower level some distance away. They kept their doors open the whole time so they could communicate, talk back and forth, and visit one another. Very familial. For them. No peace and quiet for anyone else. I asked the attendant if I could switch to a roomette upstairs and he accommodated me. The difference was night and day. Plus there are no stairs to climb when going to the dining car or lounge. So my vote is in favor of the upper level. Always.

My experience on the lower level was horrendous, and I never did it again. I was in a roomette, and a family was in the family room. However not all of the family was in the family room; some stray members were in a roomette also on the lower level some distance away. They kept their doors open the whole time so they could communicate, talk back and forth, and visit one another. Very familial. For them. No peace and quiet for anyone else. I asked the attendant if I could switch to a roomette upstairs and he accommodated me. The difference was night and day. Plus there are no stairs to climb when going to the dining car or lounge. So my vote is in favor of the upper level. Always.
Had a similar experience on the SWC. The family (well, the kids) was in and out of the room and the two adjoining roomettes most of the night (think noise from opening and closing doors). Except for that, the lower level roomette was fine.

Forgive me if I repeat some of the other members pros/cons I am doing this on the fly

Upper Pros:

Easier to find SCA

Quicker to get to dining car calls

Slightly better view of scenery

People cant see in your room at station stops

Quieter ride but slightly more sway

Slightly better dining reservation options because LSA does upper level first

No stairs to navigate to and from diner and lounge especiialy after drinking

Easy coffee access

Cooler in summer months/warmer in winter months than lower level because not subject to door openings at station stops

Upper Cons:

Lots of foot traffic that increases the closer you are to diner

Lugging a heavy bag upstairs upon boarding

Greater chance of encountering wandering coach passengers

Stair navigation at smoke/fresh air stops

Only 1 bathroom

Lower Pros:

Easy access to luggage rack

Easy deboarding at smoke stops

3 bathrooms never a wait

Close proximity to shower

No car to car foot traffic

Great window views on the doors on either side

Quick departure upon arriving at destination

Clean your own window

Wave at the cars at the crossing waiting for the train to clear

Larger area to get out of your roomette to stretch without blocking hallway

Lower Cons:

Temperature variations due to door being opened for long periods at station stops

Loud boarding/deboarding with luggage rack noise during overnight hours

Chance of family room booked with many kiddies

Slightly louder rail noise

Full view of your room at station stops from platform onlookers unless curtains are closed

Last to get dinner reservations if they even remember to get down stiars (I.E. Clueless California Zephyr LSA)

Stairclimb that may be difficult to some for access to diner and lounge

No foot traffic to see all the cool electronics that you packed your roomette with

Forgive me if I repeat some of the other members pros/cons I am doing this on the fly

Upper Pros:

Easier to find SCA

Easy coffee access

Cooler in summer months/warmer in winter months than lower level because not subject to door openings at station stops

Upper Cons:

Only 1 bathroom

Lower Pros:

3 bathrooms never a wait

Clean your own window

Lower Cons:

Temperature variations due to door being opened for long periods at station stops

Full view of your room at station stops from platform onlookers unless curtains are closed

Last to get dinner reservations if they even remember to get down stiars (I.E. Clueless California Zephyr LSA)

No foot traffic to see all the cool electronics that you packed your roomette with
I find you posting significant in my thinking.

My most recent Superliner Sleeping Car experiences were on the Sunset Limited and the Southwest Chief. Trying to get my carry-on up those narrow stairs to the upper level was very difficult. I can climb stairs. But, with a carry-on, it was, and I am thinking will continue to be, an issue. That is the major reason why I am considering reserving a lower level Roomette.

If I find a noisy family would be in the Family Room or adjacent Roomettes, with the noise of the train, I would think that closing the door to the Roomette would be of help. Yes? No?

Log me in as having lower level preference. I purposefully rebook into a lower level roomette when I can due to the restrooms and shower being steps away, as well as the luggage rack availability and minuscule foot traffic. With the roomette door closed, some of the items listed as cons don't become too much of a factor for me or Mrs. Blackwolf (such as temperature variations, hallway noise.) Honestly, when it comes to disrespectful passengers being overly noisy or careless about their actions, I've had just as much trouble on the second story as on the first. You really cannot do much to choose your neighbors no matter where you're accommodated, but being upfront with any troubles when they first appear has solved nearly all instances I can remember.

In the case of the clumsy passenger yelling up the stairs at their traveling companion at 4 am that "THERE'S A SHOWER DOWN HERE!" I slid open my door on roomette #12 and leaned out to reply: "Why, thank you for the update. I'll be sure to remember that when I finish sleeping in a few hours. Now, please SHUT UP." The lady turned beet red and apologized. A thank you and a nod finished the conversation, and there was no more trouble.

My solution to the potential missing of a meal reservation has been one of two ways. First, if the SCA is decent to good I ask them to remind the LSA about us low-levelers (been moderately successful doing this.) Otherwise, I park myself at the coffee perk when I hear the reservations being called.

Currently on the CS in a lower level roomette and we were missed by the dinner time staff member. Went upstairs to the Parlor Car for a pre dinner drink and found him working that crowd. Claims he did all the sleeping cars but must have missed lower levels! So beware now we have late dinner

Upper Pros:

Easier to find SCA

Easy coffee access

Upper Cons:

Only 1 bathroom

Lower Pros:

3 bathrooms never a wait

Clean your own window

Lower Cons:

Thanks for the thorough listing of pro's and con's

I've done upper and lower roomettes several times, and for me, either is OK.

If you have motion-sickness problems, lower is better, by far.

If the narrow stairs trouble you, lower is better. (you can get your included meal delivered to your room)

If the stairs and walking between cars isn't a problem, there's zero diff.

Noisy neighbors happen on all levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back