Prohibited Items in Checked Baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p&sr

OBS Chief
While at the Sacramento Amtrak Station recently, I saw the following note posted over the Baggage Claim Area:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked Baggage Restrictions:

Limit 3 Checked Bags per Ticketed Passenger

Limit 50 lbs per Checked Bag

Prohibited Items:

The items listed here are Prohibited in Checked Baggage and Amtrak disclaims liability for loss or damage to these items:

Ammunition

Animals

Antiques

Artworks

Bags / plastic garment

Books

CB Radios

Calculators

Cameras (Accessories)

China (glass and silverware)

Clocks (watches)

Computers

Controlled Substances

Currency - coin

Electronic Equipment

Explosives and Fireworks

Fishing Poles and Rods

Flammable Items / fuel

Handguns / firearms

Fragile Items

Furniture

Hand Trucks

Hazardous Materials

Household Goods

Internal-Combustion Engines

Jewelry

Liquids

Living Creatures / pets

Medication

Mini / Mot Bikes / Cycles

Money Travelers Checks

Micro Wave Oven

Perishables

Precious Gems / Metals

Radios / Stereo Equipment

Radioactive Materials

Sailboards

Sewing Machines

Stamps /collections

Televisions / typewriters

Tennis Rackets (sic)

Tools / Toolboxes

Video Equipment / games

Valuable Papers

------------------------------

I wonder when was the last time somebody actually checked luggage WITHOUT violating one or more of these restrictions!

On the bright side, it was good to see they would evidently have no problems with a hand-pushed Lawnmower.

While at the Sacramento Amtrak Station recently, I saw the following note posted over the Baggage Claim Area:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked Baggage Restrictions:

Limit 3 Checked Bags per Ticketed Passenger

Limit 50 lbs per Checked Bag

Prohibited Items:

The items listed here are Prohibited in Checked Baggage and Amtrak disclaims liability for loss or damage to these items:

Ammunition

Animals

Antiques

Artworks

Bags / plastic garment

Books

CB Radios

Calculators

Cameras (Accessories)

China (glass and silverware)

Clocks (watches)

Computers

Controlled Substances

Currency - coin

Electronic Equipment

Explosives and Fireworks

Fishing Poles and Rods

Flammable Items / fuel

Handguns / firearms

Fragile Items

Furniture

Hand Trucks

Hazardous Materials

Household Goods

Internal-Combustion Engines

Jewelry

Liquids

Living Creatures / pets

Medication

Mini / Mot Bikes / Cycles

Money Travelers Checks

Micro Wave Oven

Perishables

Precious Gems / Metals

Radios / Stereo Equipment

Radioactive Materials

Sailboards

Sewing Machines

Stamps /collections

Televisions / typewriters

Tennis Rackets (sic)

Tools / Toolboxes

Video Equipment / games

Valuable Papers

------------------------------

I wonder when was the last time somebody actually checked luggage WITHOUT violating one or more of these restrictions!

On the bright side, it was good to see they would evidently have no problems with a hand-pushed Lawnmower.
Darn! I have to leave the microwave oven at home.

Yeah, and I'm sure I've got at least three sailboards that will fit in a suitcase :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder why they didn't prohibit front-end loaders, airplanes, and bulldozers?

And no furniture. Darn. I had a nice dining-room table I was going to put in my suitcase.

I'll have to re-read it and make sure they didn't outlaw clothing.

It seems to me this is just somebody's poorly thought-out stupid attempt to eliminate liability if they lose or damage your baggage. Hazardous stuff, sure, and very fragile stuff, fine. But otherwise that list is a bit ridiculous, I think.

Yeah, and I'm sure I've got at least three sailboards that will fit in a suitcase :lol: :lol: :lol: I wonder why they didn't prohibit front-end loaders, airplanes, and bulldozers?

And no furniture. Darn. I had a nice dining-room table I was going to put in my suitcase.

I'll have to re-read it and make sure they didn't outlaw clothing.

It seems to me this is just somebody's poorly thought-out stupid attempt to eliminate liability if they lose or damage your baggage. Hazardous stuff, sure, and very fragile stuff, fine. But otherwise that list is a bit ridiculous, I think.
you noticed that they will accept dirty underwear :lol: be real good if it was cleaned when you arrive. :lol:

Aloha

Here's my suggested list of items one might wish to carry:

Posters of Trains

Plastic Grocery Bags containing three Apples and a Box of Cookies

A Tourist Guide-Book to Manhattan

A Pocket Adding Machine

A Roll of Extra Film

Six Plastic Forks and Spoons for Picnics

My Glow-in-the-Dark Alarm Clock

Leftover Coins from a Trip to Canada

A Fake Pearl Necklace

A Bottle of Aspirin

A Set of Baseball Cards

A Screw-Driver (not the Alcoholic kind)

A Deck of Amtrak Playing Cards

A Set of "Monopoly" to play at the Hotel

Hotel Reservations and Maps to Tourist Areas

Sorry! All Prohibited!

...Internal-Combustion Engines

Apparently not! :p

edit: er, sorry...I thought as opposed to self-propelled ones...I hadn't thought of the cylinder thing from back in the day. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn! I have to leave the microwave oven at home.
I actually checked a microwave oven as baggage on the Alaska Railroad once--bought it at Costco in Anchorage and took it with me to Fairbanks...

When I checked a bag in NOL, I asked the clerk to weigh it, saying that if it was overweight, I would take out the computer -she told me that I couldn't check a computer. Then we both forgot that I mentioned it. The bag weighed only 47 pounds, so we didn't bother opening it. :)

If you can't put books in checked baggage I'm doomed. What exactly do they do to you when they find books in your suitcase? :blink:

If you can't put books in checked baggage I'm doomed. What exactly do they do to you when they find books in your suitcase? :blink:
Force you to read them, I suppose.

Advice like what I posted is always best ignored.

If a Tourist cannot pack an Alarm Clock, a Bottle of Aspirin, a Tourist Guidebook, and "Valuable Papers" such as reservations and maps and tourist information... then WHAT IS A POOR TRAVELLER TO DO???

Hence MY advice... to ignore the advice. fwiw

Sign a waver form understanding that you know you are liable for them. Or hand them a $5 bill. Or giggle and watch most of them continue from that point on.

Sign a waver form understanding that you know you are liable for them. Or hand them a $5 bill. Or giggle and watch most of them continue from that point on.
Well GML, I suspect that I am about the same size as you - XXL so I find that giggleing is NOT a viable option - and I don't like the $5 option so as detailed above in NOL, I usually just IGNORE the problem until it goes away ;)

It's quite remarkable, in that books are, according to the Amtrak Express agent I spoke with last week, the ideal thing to ship via Amtrak Express!

It's quite remarkable, in that books are, according to the Amtrak Express agent I spoke with last week, the ideal thing to ship via Amtrak Express!
Well then Amtrak Express must be pretty darn cheap, because shipping books by "Media Mail" with the USPS is so cheap it's practically free. How can Amtrak Express be cheaper than Media Mail? And if they are, then is the price of shipping things in general with Amtrak Express as cheap or cheaper than Media Mail? If it is then we should all know about it.

One advantage of the USPS is that the Post Office brings things to your door! Picking something up at a distant station is a project in and of itself.

Well then Amtrak Express must be pretty darn cheap, because shipping books by "Media Mail" with the USPS is so cheap it's practically free. How can Amtrak Express be cheaper than Media Mail? And if they are, then is the price of shipping things in general with Amtrak Express as cheap or cheaper than Media Mail? If it is then we should all know about it.
It's not--see this thread, posts #12 and #13, for a comparison of Amtrak Express, Media Mail, Parcel Post, UPS Ground, and FedEx Ground's prices.

Well GML, I suspect that I am about the same size as you - XXL so I find that giggleing is NOT a viable option - and I don't like the $5 option so as detailed above in NOL, I usually just IGNORE the problem until it goes away ;)
XXXL shirts. I guess I could get away with smaller ones, but I prefer something that doesn't show all my body contours. XXL for pants/shorts. Anyway, I giggle from time to time. More often laugh, but sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back