Price difference (Amsnag vs Amtrak.com)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amsnag is still getting $178 for example 351 Wolverine to SWC on 3/6. But Amtrak says $213. So there may be a bug.

DER-CHI is a $37 value fare.

CHI-LAX is a $141 saver fare, or a $176 value fare.

See what's going on?

Amtrak.com evidently won't combine these fare types on a connection. Book the segments separately, use multi-city, or use the mobile app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Difference explained:

The OP was apparently using the old version which goes after the old Amtrak results page: For DER to LAX, the following page (1st connection only) is returned

der-lax%20old.jpg

Using the new version that goes after the current results page returns

der-lax%20new.jpg

Don't mean to sound ungrateful for the excellent Amsnag tool, but wouldn't it make more sense to return the lower price found on the old results page? That lower fare can be booked--just not from the new results page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to sound ungrateful for the excellent Amsnag tool, but wouldn't it make more sense to return the lower price found on the old results page? That lower fare can be booked--just not from the new results page.
Question: how do you plan to book from the old results page?

FWIW, if you do retrieve the old page in your browser (1st image in my earlier post) and click "Add to cart" next to the $178 price, you get

We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please try again by going to Amtrak.com. If you continue to have problems, call 1-800-USA-RAIL for assistance.
That is why when you click on the date in the "old" version of Amsnag, it retrieves the new version at amtrak.com. That way you can actually book something.

Why the two pages differ; and more to the point why Amtrak still keeps the old page around, are questions that are way above my pay grade.

Question: how do you plan to book from the old results page?
I'd book the fare quoted on the old results page using multi-city booking or the Amtrak mobile app. Both will sell you that $178 ticket.
Here's the best part: in multi-city, simply entering DER-LAX under "Segment 1" will work.

Back