Poughkeepsie and Albany stations--I could use some tips.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my attempt to avoid dealing with NJ Transit out of Penn Station on a weekend evening, I have devised a roundabout route (not up to the_traveler's standards, but a start) on Gathering weekend that takes me as far north as Albany and as far south as Alexandria. The southern part I'm very familiar with, but not the northern part, so would love any advice.

I will be leaving on the northbound Ethan Allan out of Poughkeepsie, which gets to Albany early evening, and have booked a hotel with a shuttle just across the river. If, however, the shuttle is not running for some reason, will there be taxis and will they take me that short of a distance? It looks walkable, except that you'd have to cross the river on some huge highway. And if that is still the Hudson River, it would be a long, long walk!

Also, is it easy to find where to board in both Poughkeepsie and Albany?

When I get back to Penn Station, how easy is it to find the Acela lounge (which is where I will stay til my next train)?

Thank you all, as always, for any advice!
default_smile.png

Yes, there are taxis in Albany, but they are fairly pricey. The last times I was there, it was a flat fee to cross the River to the Albany hotels. I believe you could walk, but it is not an easy walk.

My first visit to Albany, I stayed at a hotel without a shuttle. Every time since then, I have stayed at the Hilton, which has a very reliable shuttle.

The Albany station is very nice and it is easy to find where to board.

I have boarded in Poughkeepsie several times and have had few problems. I believe once during an OTOL fest, the track number changed after we were all waiting on one track. I have encountered no other issues.

Speaking of the_traveler!
default_smile.png

ALB is (almost) my home station. (I live 50 miles north.) There are taxis, but there is also buses (CDTA) as well as now Uber & Lyft. It is a long walk over the Dunn Memorial Bridge over the Hudson River.

So far the work on the Empire Connection is reportedly running on schedule or slightly ahead. So restart of service to NYP should not be a problem.

If it turns out to be a problem, it will be for the entire Gathering since the post itinerary dinner is at a place close to Penn Station. But then transferring from Grand Central to Penn Station is not exactly brain surgery either.

Also, is it easy to find where to board in both Poughkeepsie and Albany?

When I get back to Penn Station, how easy is it to find the Acela lounge (which is where I will stay til my next train)?

Thank you all, as always, for any advice!
default_smile.png
Both stations are very small, so it's incredibly easy to find your track. As to ClubAcela, it's right in the corner of the main room with the big departure board. Unfortunately, most signs pointing to it are relatively small, so if you're having trouble, just ask an employee. However you should be able to find it in on your own.

Thanks to all of you.

Penny, I was just trying to decide which hotel when I saw your post, so I looked up the Hilton and got a very low rate for a nice room Saturday night (maybe it's a business hotel, so cheaper on weekends?). Thanks--you helped me make a good choice!
default_smile.png

Dave--thanks for the information on the other transportation options--hopefully I won't need them, but you never know. (How did I do for my first try of a traveler-type itinerary?
default_mosking.gif
)

PVD--I got my ticket, and it says Albany to New York Penn, so hopefully things should be fine.

cpotisch--They seem to not want people to find the Acela lounges easily--even in Philly, which is way smaller I'm sure than NYP, you have to search for it, and it too is in a corner with a little tiny sign!
default_tongue.png

cpotisch--They seem to not want people to find the Acela lounges easily--even in Philly, which is way smaller I'm sure than NYP, you have to search for it, and it too is in a corner with a little tiny sign!
default_tongue.png
Yeah. It is kind of funny how they do that. But if you know where the main Amtrak room is with the main waiting area and the huge departure board, you'll be able to see it.

I'll be laying over in Albany station soon. I've been there before but I don't remember if there are vending machines, a cafe or a sundries store, or none of the above. What have they got there?

Thanks,

jb

So far so good on the reno work, hopefully it will stay "on track" I'm not sure if I would call Albany/Rens small. While not in the league of some of the really big stations, it is 4 track, relatively long high platform , with a modern boarding bridge. The station building (20k sq ft) has a post office, a few decent shops, and very large parking areas. it is in the top 10 Amtrak stations for # of passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penny, I was just trying to decide which hotel when I saw your post, so I looked up the Hilton and got a very low rate for a nice room Saturday night (maybe it's a business hotel, so cheaper on weekends?). Thanks--you helped me make a good choice!
default_smile.png
I was in Albany in June and arrived a bit late. I phoned the hotel to determine when their shuttle stopped. I was told that it runs 24/7. The hotel has a restaurant and there is a cool bar down the street.

I will be leaving on the northbound Ethan Allan out of Poughkeepsie, which gets to Albany early evening, and have booked a hotel with a shuttle just across the river. If, however, the shuttle is not running for some reason, will there be taxis and will they take me that short of a distance? It looks walkable, except that you'd have to cross the river on some huge highway. And if that is still the Hudson River, it would be a long, long walk!
I believe you could walk, but it is not an easy walk.
I walked round trip from the station to the Holiday Inn Express, which I believe is the closest name brand hotel to the station. My recollection is that the walk was more tedious than difficult, and that was somewhat aggravated by doing it before I had a cell phone or GPS receiver. My concern would be the weather. In bad weather, it could be a mess.

If I were to stay in Albany again, I would definitely stay at the Hilton rather than the Holiday Inn Express.

I think SUNY is in the old D&H RR Building, Union Station became HQ offices for banks that kept getting bought out, not sure who is in there now....
That's correct...The old D&H building, now SUNY, is right across the street from the old Trailways bus terminal, which is now closed up, since they moved in with Greyhound.

The Union Station building is now SEFCU, further north on Broadway at Steuben Street.

Back