Potential Tropical Storm in Gulf of Mexico

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by chrsjrcj, Jul 10, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 10, 2019 #1

chrsjrcj

c

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

While not officially classified as a tropical cyclone, it looks like it could be a tremendous rainmaker for areas that do not really need it along the Mississippi River. This probably does not bode well for the CONO returning to New Orleans and may cause disruptions to the Sunset Limited and Crescent, although nothing official yet.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 10, 2019 #2

CameraObscura76

C

CameraObscura76

Train Attendant

I’m scheduled to travel Saturday on the SL from NOL to SAS; this isn’t good.

3. Jul 10, 2019 #3

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

dogbert617 likes this.
  4. Jul 10, 2019 #4

chrsjrcj

c

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status/1149042993921441792

https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status/1149042315165650945

https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status/1149030571345108992

dogbert617 likes this.
  5. Jul 11, 2019 #5

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

That's freaky, that the water level already is 19 feet high. Speaking of the Bonnet Carre(sp?) Spillway, I guess that bridge still can't be used for trains as of now, and Amtrak is still having to begin/end trains in Jackson w/bustitution south of there? That's too bad, for anyone trying to travel on CONO south of Jackson. I hope plans are done, to rebuild that Bonnet Carre bridge to allow for a higher elevation above it. And so that having to restrict train traffic over it, occurs less often.

6. Jul 11, 2019 #6

jis

jis

jis

Height of the trestle is not the problem. It is instability of the base of the pillars on which it stands.

dogbert617 likes this.
  7. Jul 11, 2019 #7

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

dogbert617 likes this.
  8. Jul 11, 2019 #8

jis

jis

jis

NHC just upgraded PTC #2 to Tropical Storm Barry as of 11am 7/11/19

9. Jul 11, 2019 #9

DonNewcomb

D

DonNewcomb

Looks like Barry will be a very brief and low-grade hurricane. Biggest impact will probably be rain in central and eastern Louisiana. (An area which does not have any particular need for more rain.)

10. Jul 11, 2019 #10

jis

jis

jis

Also, effect of storm surge on some of the Levies in Louisiana is a big concern, specially since rivers are already running high in flood stages.

dogbert617 likes this.
  11. Jul 11, 2019 #11

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Ah, so that's the problem with the existing Bonnet Carre Spillway bridge. That the ground is marshy and soft, hence why I could see whatever freight railroad(Canadian Pacific or CN? sorry, I can't remember who took over for I think Illinois Central) that maintains this bridge closed the bridge out of caution. Hopefully a bridge replacement could be built, that is more stable than the existing bridge.

12. Jul 11, 2019 #12

jis

jis

jis

The bridge replacement project I believe is currently funded and imminent.

dogbert617 likes this.
  13. Jul 11, 2019 #13

brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

The track is owned by CN. Also, the bridge is not closed and is still being used by freight trains; it is just not allowed to carry passenger trains for the time being.

dogbert617 likes this.
  14. Jul 11, 2019 #14

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Ah, so it's CN. Thanks for confirming one of my 2 guesses (other was Canadian Pacific) was right! Weird that freight trains can run over the Bonnet Carre Spillway bridge for now, but not passenger trains! Is CN restricting how long freight trains can be (to shorter length), that run over this spillway bridge?

Good to know a replacement bridge will be built, soon.

15. Jul 11, 2019 #15

John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Conductor

Somewhere I read that 58 and 59 are still operating between Jackson, MS, and New Orleans, but only with the operating crew.

dogbert617 likes this.
  16. Jul 11, 2019 #16

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Is this really the truth?!? Now the situation of bustitution between Jackson and New Orleans, seems super confusing that Amtrak can run their trains through only with employees, but not passengers. Is that something CN ordered Amtrak to do south of Jackson, for the time being? That depresses me to hear this, if true.

17. Jul 11, 2019 #17

CAMISSY55

C

CAMISSY55

Service Attendant

It was my understanding, as well, that 58 and 59 trains were going to and from NOL/JAN with their crews aboard. In fact, one came through my small town about a month ago or so on a totally different CN rail line

It makes sense because I’m almost positive that Jackson’s Union Station is not set up to service, stock, turn (?), etc. the trains.

dogbert, what depresses you about Amtrak trains with passengers not being allowed to pass over the bridge, but with only crews it is allowed? A train load of passengers in this situation is a tremendous liability risk. For employees it may be contractually required, or, at the very least, a case for additional compensation (hazard pay ?), or an opt out situation. I don’t know. But, the decision to not allow passengers seems like a well reasoned business decision.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    dogbert617 likes this.
  18. Jul 12, 2019 #18

Thirdrail7

T

Thirdrail7

Conductor

New Orleans Service Modified Due to Hurricane Forecast

19. Jul 12, 2019 #19

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

All I was wondering, was why they weren't turning the trains around in Jackson, and running the trains empty of passengers except employees, between Jackson-NOL. Yes, I shouldn't have used the word depressed, wrong choice of word to use there that's for sure! So they were deadheading the trains south of Jackson using a different CN rail line(vs. the usual one the CONO train uses between Jackson-NOL) towards New Orleans with only Amtrak employees, but having the employees stay in a hotel in the New Orleans area overnight? Was just trying to understand this situation better, and thanks.

And yes, I can see the liability issue, as to why CN and Amtrak decided to do the passenger bussing between Jackson and New Orleans. Hopefully Amtrak rail service is restored at some point, though with weather issues I'm kinda worried that restoration won't happen till sometime in the fall. But who knows, maybe a surprise will occur and restoration of CONO service south of Jackson will occur before September/October? Not counting on that being likely that service is restored before then at the earliest, but you never know.

20. Jul 12, 2019 #20

CAMISSY55

C

CAMISSY55

Service Attendant

Just to be clear, the CONO came through my small town only once that I know of. I don’t have any knowledge of what route they have taken in all the other days.

About the employees (crew) staying in a New Orleans’ hotel, I kind of doubt that would be the case. The CONO is a New Orleans based train. Nearly all of the crew members that I have spoken with are New Orleans area natives. A few moved to NOL for the job, mostly from surrounding locations. I would assume that they just go home.

The busitution situation caused me to change stations, BRH (Brookhaven) to Jackson just this past Tuesday. (To connect to the #3/SWC, CHI-LAX, which I’m on right now.) I have taken the CONO dozens of times in the past 4 years, when I switched from flying to Amtrak.

One of the Jackson station agents told me on Tuesday that they were told that the Bonnet Carré Spillway was going to be closed in two days. That would have been today. But....Mother Nature obviously had other plans!

dogbert617 likes this.
  21. Jul 12, 2019 #21

west point

w

west point

Conductor

WWL reported stated 126 Bonet spillways open. As well the Atchafalaya spillway is partially open or was ?

dogbert617 likes this.
  22. Jul 12, 2019 #22

jis

jis

jis

Atchafalaya has at least been partially open for a while now.

dogbert617 likes this.
  23. Jul 13, 2019 #23

DonNewcomb

D

DonNewcomb

The Bonnet Carré Spillway has been open quite a lot this Spring/Summer. It is wrecking havoc with the ecology of the Mississippi Sound: dead dolphins, ruined oysters, toxic algae blooms, etc. As the Bird Foot delta lengthens, it will only get worse. If they are going to channelize the River this way, they need more upstream retention.

jis likes this.