Potential Login Problems For Members With & In Their Name

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
It has come to our attention that since the recent upgrade of the forum software that a few members may well be having problems trying to login to the forum. These are members who happened to use an & in their login name. And since this is a RR related forum, coupled with the many mergers of the RR's over the years, many members have chosen names that include the & character.

And for reasons currently unknown, the newly updated software seems to be blocking something associated with the use of the & in one's name. Already two members caught up in this situation have managed to make contact with us, but I suspect that others either aren't aware of just what the problem is or how to contact us. If you are a member having trouble logging into the forum presently, please simply put my user name to the left of this post in front of @amtraktrains.com to contact me.

I can then adjust your login name to allow you to once again be able to log into the forum.

We are working to try and resolve this problem, although I do suspect that it is out of our control and that it lies with the Invision software that we use for the forum. Our apologies to those affected by this issue!

According to the documentation here, the following characters are not allowed to be a part of usernames:

[ ] | ; , $ \ < > "[/size]

However those character are permitted to be a part of display names, which is what everyone sees on the forum (my username that I use to log in is not "Ryan", but "Ryan" is all you guys see.

Is there a chance that there might also be a problem with new member signups on the current software version? I was messaging someone on Facebook and ended up referring them to this board on September 14th, and as far as I can tell, their account was never approved - I can't look them up by the username they told me they used (or even a portion of it), and they also never told me that their account was approved.

Misty, I wouldn't think so. We would still see the name show up, they just wouldn't be able to login after we had approved them.

Would you be so kind as to send me a PM with the name and/or the email address they used to register so that I can look into things?

Back