Photo Uploading Enabled!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Our new hosts have allowed us to turn on the ability for our members to upload photos directly to the forum. This will enable those who don't have their own site for hosting, or whom are not using services like Smugmug or Flicker, to upload photos directly to the board. Please note that this does not in any way stop those who do use external sites for their photos to continue using them. And in fact, we encourage those who do have external hosts to continue using them; both to reduce the server load but also because you can still link to those external photos on other sites.

But again, for those without a host or for those for whom have no need to ever link to the photos in another forum or in an email, you now have the ability to upload a photo here at AU. You will only see the controls for uploading in selected forums; ie. not all forums will permit photos to be uploaded, like for example the AGR forum.

You also cannot add a photo using the Quick Reply box at the bottom of each topic. The controls for uploading only appear when you start a new topic, click the black "Reply to this topic" button at the top of the topic, or click light blue "More Reply Options" button on the Quick Reply box. When you click any one of the above mentioned buttons, below the typing box you will see the "Attach Files" section. If you don't see that button, then you're not allowed to upload photos to that forum.

You click the "Choose File" button to open a box and search for the location where you have saved the photo(s) in question on your computer. Then select the photo from that box after you locate it and the "Open" or "Ok" button. This will place the name of the file next to the "Choose File" button. Then click the "Attach This File" button directly below to upload the photo to the server. Please note that this could take some time depending on your computer and the connection speed.

A maximum of 5 photos can be attached to 1 post, so simply repeat the above as needed. If you need to upload more photos, then you will have to make more than 1 post. Also please note that there are limits as to just how many photos you can upload. The limit however is in Megabytes or file size, not the number of photos. If you have the know how to reduce the file size of your photos, then doing so will allow you to upload more photos to the board. If you don't know how to do that, then the day may come where you would have to delete some of your older photos in order to put up new ones. Alternatively, you may also find that some members would be willing to help you reduce the file size of your photos.

You do not have to worry about the physical size of the image, as the BB is set to automatically resize the photos based upon the settings of the person viewing the photo and their screen size. Just upload the photo and the software will take care of selecting the correct viewing size for each person.

This upload capability will also now allow you to attach both files & photos to PM's that you send to other members. Please do not however attempt to upload files to the forums, as no one will be able to view them or open them.

I hope that this will enhance the experience for those who don't currently have the means to post photos and participate in topics like the "Name This Station" thread. Our thanks to Austin & his team for enabling this! :)

Hope this works!
attachicon.gif
DSCN4007.JPG
It does!!!

After you select CHOOSE THIS FILE, Then ATTACH THIS FILE, you then, after it uploads, select POST TO MESSAGE. Are you guys doing all that?

When you reply with the quote function with an uploaded picture you don't get the picture again, you just get a link. But, you can click on that link and it will bring the picture up, again.

Are you guys able to see Betty's picture?

After you select CHOOSE THIS FILE, Then ATTACH THIS FILE, you then, after it uploads, select POST TO MESSAGE. Are you guys doing all that?
When you reply with the quote function with an uploaded picture you don't get the picture again, you just get a link. But, you can click on that link and it will bring the picture up, again.

Are you guys able to see Betty's picture?
Dont have permission!

Everything works for me, sort of. When only a link is shown, after viewing the link, I need to use the back key to leave the picture. It Tom's recommendation of "Post TO MESSAGE" is used all in normal, again sort of, I need to scroll to see the complete image.

Quite frankly I like my Smugmug account so I won't be using this feature, but nice that those that do need it, can use it.

Aloha

Everything works for me, sort of. When only a link is shown, after viewing the link, I need to use the back key to leave the picture. It Tom's recommendation of "Post TO MESSAGE" is used all in normal, again sort of, I need to scroll to see the complete image.
Eric,

If you open the photo in a new window, then I rather suspect that it won't be auto-resized to fit the screen. But when it is inline in the topic, it should be getting resized automatically. It works properly for me in Google Chrome, Safari, and the Latest versions of Internet Explorer. For reasons unknown, Firefox is not properly resizing things. With 3 out of the 4 big browsers working properly, that suggests to me that it is a Firefox issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back