Photo Chosen for Amtrak 2004 Calendar

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
Has anyone noticed the new Amtrak 2004 calendar, featuring the winner of last year's photo contest? It features a photo of the Southwest Chief snaking through Apache Canyon in New Mexico. There are four "Genesis" locomotives pulling the train; that should be sufficient power. I have seen photos of previous Amtrak Chiefs as well as some Santa Fe Super Chiefs here. It is a nice photo!!

See now I brought the un-official Amtrak calendar. I like that one better than the official one.

I get more pictures with the un-official one. Twelve months, twelve pictures. :) One for each month of 2004, and actually I get a bonus picture on the cover.

AlanB said:
See now I brought the un-official Amtrak calendar. I like that one better than the official one.
I get more pictures with the un-official one. Twelve months, twelve pictures. :) One for each month of 2004, and actually I get a bonus picture on the cover.
Which one? The Weekend Chief publishing one, I have that, it's a great calendar. :D

Addressing the Southwest Chief angle to this post, I saw a brief shot of it in an episode of "Cops" on TV last night from Albuquerque. In fact there was a railroad yard in the background, perhaps even a railroad musuem. I kept looking at the stuff and could not make it out clearly.

But I do know there is a railroad museum in Albuquerque. I have seen it in person. And, sure enough, an Amtrak loco did pop into the scene for about three seconds.

That photo on the official Amtrak Calendar was also taken by an Amtrak employee, not a passenger or railfan. So I guess it was not much of a contest. I like the Weekend Chief publishing one though.

AlanB said:
Alan,

Where did you get the unofficial calendar by Weekend Chief?

I tried their website, however it would not display.

Any other online stores you could suggest?

Thanks

Amfleet Fan said:
Alan,
Where did you get the unofficial calendar by Weekend Chief?
I picked up mine at the Transit Museam Store in Grand Central Terminal back before the holidays.

I tried their website, however it would not display.
Any other online stores you could suggest?
His website has been dead for a couple of years now, although I'm not quite sure why.

I did a quick Google search and found a few places that offer one of his older calendars, but none seemed to have the 2004 on line. You may have better luck if you try a few other search engines.

Last I knew though, he did sell them via mail. A friend of mine ordered his through the mail last year, when I was only able to buy 1 from the transit store.

I'll PM you that address when I get home late tonight.

Alan, thats funny, I got my calendar from there two. :lol: My dad works across from Grand Central, so I had him pick one up for me last year.

Whether it was an Amtrak employee or someone else, it is still a nice photo. It makes my heart beat faster, wanting to be on that train going to wherever it was going, to be there and watch the train go by. I thought my photo was pretty nice:

Coast Starlight near Oregon City

But I figured other people had nicer, more expensive cameras and had cars to get to places to take better pictures (especially in more remote places) than I could. It's also nice to see the Southwest Chief, that Amtrak still thinks highly of it, when some politicians have denounced the train for being too expensive to operate.

I don't know if it was entered or not, but Brett Wirick took this picture of AT, which is amazing to me. The picture (along with a couple more of his) are available on my site.
Amtrak%20P-42%20Locomotive%2013-Rice%20Creek%20-%20Brett%20Wirick.jpg

That is a nice shot! However, to be considered for the contest, the locomotives were supposed to have the newest Amtrak logos on them (clearly visible). That's why I didn't enter any of my Talgo train (Cascades) photos. Oh, and there could only one entry per person.

However, yes, I do like the photo.

The art department could always fix em up. :lol: If you look at half the picture Amtrak puts out, the art department has fenagled almost every single one of em.

Thats a great picture of the Auto Train, I love the reflection in the water! Also its neat how the loco #s are consecutive 13 and 14! Also those units look spotless, I always like a clean loco myself.

Well the train gets washed when it comes through Sanford, so the train is almost always spotless coming out of Sanford thanks to the large amounts of acidic water they dump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back