Photo Advice - Amfleets at Night

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracktwentynine

OBS Chief
I snapped this photo, "Ready for the Morning", during a smoke stop for #97, the Silver Meteor, at Richmond-Staples Mill Road. It shows the tail ends of 2 Northeast Regional trains parked at the station overnight for their morning departures to the north. I'd appreciate advice on how to improve photos like these, either at the time of the photo or in post-processing. I think the photo came out okay, but I also think it could be better. Thanks!

EXIF Data:

Taken with a Nikon P7000

Exposure: 0.4 seconds

Aperture: f/2.8

Focal Length: 6mm

ISO: 400

No flash

No tripod

Hmm. Can you comment a little on your motive or intention? It's a rather jarring photo to my eyes. The contrast is rather high and the bright artificial light is a little harsh while the lens flare is a little distracting. If you want the artificial lights to be the focal point then I would suggest modifying the angle to kill the flare and use a diffraction filter to give the lights some much needed symmetry. I would also try to create some more distance between the lights and the platform roof or simply remove the roof altogether. You might also want to darken the image a little and convert to B&W as the transitions between the night and the light and between the grimey car and the day-glow orange stripes are a little jarring. As-is my eyes have a hard time finding whatever they're supposed to be attracted to. The door? The decals? The lights? My eyes just dart all around looking for a place to rest.

I like it. The eye kind of bounces around, but there's really no way I can think of to compose it differently given the positioning of the two cars. Could you have eliminated the overhead lights by taking a step or two back and then zooming in a little bit closer?

Technically, the only downside is that the strip of platform in the left-center is a little blown out. Would have been a good candidate for some MILD HDR (not that crazy cartoon HDR that you're so fond of).

Good pic! I like the contrast of the close up Coach against the distant one. You can always Photoshop the lights to tone them down a bit. Since I rarely lug a tripod with me on trips, I have learned to use "makeshift" tripods such as ledges or posts for nightshots, putting the camera into "auto mode" or "automode-night" and using the timer so I don't jar the camera. Just setting the camera on the platform next to the train can give a dramatic perspective.

Being able to review on the fly is great.

Aloha

Saw your shot just before I took the Desert Wind to LA. :rolleyes: This is exactly the type of picture situation that I use the Conkin gradient filters. The light values on the left are so much higher than the right that causes an inbalance, one side over exposed, one side under exposed. Film had about a 2 stop limit. Digital more but there still is a limit. Soon I hope to set a pinned thread on sources and will put a link to the Conkin filters. (when I have a better signal).

Back