Phasing Out Express Shipping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
The Amtrak board approved of ending the express initiative when it met last week. A phase-out of the service will take all of fiscal 2003. Express had a $7 million loss for Amtrak during fiscal 2002.
You can see this article and many weekly hotline updates at www.narprail.org

My thoughts, bout damn time. The Mail and Express holds up trains big time, on P097 (17) the other day we got held up for five minutes (after they were ready in the coaches) becuase they were unloading express. The engineers also dislike the express because they do not have the ability to get meals (or use the restroom) en route. So I will shed not tears when I only see 1 baggage car (or a baggage and an MHC).

The MHCs up front will probably stay as they handle mail, but as railfans we will probably get more chances to look out the rear. I don't see why the engineers worry since there job is to drive the train, not eat meals (snacking is okay), also aren't there bathrooms in the cab?

One express initiative that was quite successful was the Washington Apple Express, which carried the goods on the Empire Builder, and then other trains to east coast cities such as Philadelphia. They were trucked from Wenatchee to be put on the train, probably Spokane where switching is done anyhow. Washington DOT was going to purchase special refrigerated cars for this service, but in the meantime they were using Amtrak's Reefer-Railers. This past June I saw one of the Reefer-Railers on a Michigan train (#350) on two consecutive days, so perhaps the Detroit market is getting some of those Washington apples as well.

So now, I have to wonder if this will be eliminated as well. A successful service can be a source of badly-needed revenue for Amtrak, and unlike other trains, its presence did not have an ill effect on timekeeping for the Empire Builder. That train has had one of the best on-time records among the long-distance trains.

Even still if the apples make revenue you have to pay for the fuel to haul them and the maitainance of the cars. On a side note I read that my recent issue of RTN Amtrak had to fill empty express cars will sand bags or bricks so they could run over 60mph. I think Amtrak should concentrate of the passenger business and if they want to haul apples then they should just be put in a special baggage car at the front of the train.

On a side note I read that my recent issue of RTN Amtrak had to fill empty express cars will sand bags or bricks so they could run over 60mph.
Well don't forget that the express business was not a two-way operation. What I mean is that hauling the fruit in one direction meant returning the boxcars to Washington State empty. Good planning could have resulted in some eastern commodity being shipped in the other direction using the same boxcars so that they would not be deadheaded (or have to be filled with sand) across the country.

That said, I do agree that focus has to be on passenger service, as the National Railroad Passenger Corporation was set up to be in 1971.

And on a side note to your side note, on Saturday morning driving on the New Jersey Turnpike in Secaucus, I saw on the adjacent Northeast Corridor, the mail-only train, 13 making its Springfield-Washington run with all MHC's, and one coach at the rear for the passenger-less conductor. I guess with mail remaining that is not the last time I will see that sight.

I don't have a problem with #13 as it does serve a purpose and with it's middle of the night operations I think it would get little or no passenger revenue if passenger cars were added. There also many other trains that operate on that one route that carry only passengers.

And by the way there's also #12, which still operates, and until last year did carry passengers. There is also a #10 that does not carry passengers but also runs Washington to Springfield. Both of these are passenger-less mail runs like #13.

I think they could operate as passenger trains, and in these belt-tightening times, they may have to. The loading and unloading of mail cars in places like New York City and Philadelphia should be accomplished during the scheduled station dwell times of many of the Regional trains. Of course the numbers would have to be changed to the 140's to reflect their Springfield-Washington status; chances are they would be combined with existing runs for efficiency.

Superliner Diner said:
And by the way there's also #12, which still operates, and until last year did carry passengers. There is also a #10 that does not carry passengers but also runs Washington to Springfield. Both of these are passenger-less mail runs like #13.
I think they could operate as passenger trains, and in these belt-tightening times, they may have to. The loading and unloading of mail cars in places like New York City and Philadelphia should be accomplished during the scheduled station dwell times of many of the Regional trains. Of course the numbers would have to be changed to the 140's to reflect their Springfield-Washington status; chances are they would be combined with existing runs for efficiency.
You're probably right, they could/would be combined if needed, after all, another passenger run isn't bad. Also I agree that the Passenger in National Railroad Passenger Corporation has to be the main focus.

Couldn't #13 just combine with #67 in NHV. Mabey a couple revenue coaches could be run from SPG to NHV with mail on the end, then in NHV the train from SPG (we'll call it #467) can be put on the back of #67. The oppsite could happen with #66.

The MHCs up front will probably stay as they handle mail, but as railfans we will probably get more chances to look out the rear. I don't see why the engineers worry since there job is to drive the train, not eat meals (snacking is okay), also aren't there bathrooms in the cab?
Amfleet, while their job is to "drive the train" they are human beings too. There are times when the situation is the cab is tense (fighting), or when you have to use the john, no there are no restroom's in the modern diesel. As for meals, they are currently forced to warming microwave dinners on the engine manifold, no microwave, but they do have a refrigorator. Finally, I enjoy being able to socialize with the engineers, and they with railfans. It gives them a chance to meet the people they are charged with safely transporting.

Ahhh, little one, I think your engineer friends are pulling your leg!!! :blink:

Locomotives have had toilets for the last few decades!! They even have waste tanks!!!!

As far as food is concerned, many do bring their luch and there is a refrigerator stocked with water. But there is no problem with ordering food from the conductor and running back a few cars to get it. They are making 2-3 minute stops and this allows enough time to toss the food to the engineers.

How do you think they get coffee?? And you should see the mess in the cab after an 8 hr trip!!! :blink:

B)

Amfleet said:
Locomotives have had toilets for the last few decades
That's what I thought. I belive there located behind the cab before the engine. B)
It would make sense, after it would be ridiculous to equip the locomotive with a computer, yet no toilet. B)

Amfleet is correct!!! :lol:

On P-42's, the toilet is behind the door leading to the engine room. There is a small room between the cab and the engine room. This is where the crew goes in the event of a bad collision. If the engine were to roll, this compartment allows them to evacuate the cab and protect them from fluids in the engine room. This compartment wasn't designed for this pupose but has been used many times for protection. Most of the time, the crew just lays on the floor to avoid debris coming thru the windshields.

Anyway, in this compartment is the door for the toilet. It is manually operated and requires service after each trip.

On the 40's like the Tri-Rail and FFT, the toilet is located in the nose of the cab.

Hell, even freight engines have toilets!!! You wouldn't want the crews to get arrested for "indecent exposure" would you?? :p And you wouldn't want them to get frostbitten during the winter at 80 mph trying to go out an open window!! :blink:

B)

To B-51;

Evidently your friends didn't think you were "grown up" enough to share this experience!!! :blink: :lol:

B)

HAHAHA (not). Anyway I will be going up to Sanford tomorrow to see the equipment they have up there, I will take the usual P098(26) P097(25) schedule. Thanks for the insight though Joe

Thanks for the warning!! :eek:

I'm calling the boys in Sanford now to warn them!!! :p

Be careful if you walk around the shop areas!!! Amtrak posted an employee advisory today about possible terrorist activities around trains.

I'd hate to see your parents picking you up at the police station, you "little terrorist!" :lol:

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back