Patrick Henry Cars to Denver on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those two are beauties. I'll bet they cost an arm and a leg to charter.
From what I've heard, Patrick Henry's rates are "reasonable" in the private car charter world. As part of a project comparing historic rail and air fares to today, I asked him for an approximate price quotation for a long weekend trip from Houston to New Orleans (leaving Houston on a Friday; using the cars as a hotel in the station in New Orleans; arriving back in Houston the following Monday) for 8 travelers (four couples). He replied that they could do that trip, including charter fees, Amtrak charges, and food & beverage, for just a little north of $20,000 "all up". Since these cars are based in Houston this probably represents the low end of the cost spectrum for PV charters; there is no high end. If you have a million dollars to spend, and want to spend it criss-crossing the United States in a special train for a month with 20-30 of your best friends, you can probably blow through every dime of that million and then some....

ETA: That price quotation to New Orleans was January 2014; prices are subject to change without notice, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back