Passenger sues Delta and pet owner after emotional support dog attacks him

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear, Ryan, there are no examples of a service animal doing that.
There are numerous examples, starting with the subject of the OP, of other animals doing that.

There isn't any special licensing or anything required for a service animal either. I worked with a lady who had a "service" dog who supposedly helped her with her balance. I can tell you from being around her a lot, the need was almost totally fake. The dog was trained by her to do just the basic stuff like "sit' and "stay" which the dog didn't necessarily follow anyways. The dog pretty much was a pet and the "balance" help was totally fraudulent. Yet she was able to take the dog anywhere she went, the swimming pool, restaurants, fancy hotels, etc. The dog was a nice dog though and no aggressive bone in her body. The lady, on the other hand, was very aggressive with many mean bones in her body.

While I wasn't there, then I'm guessing that wasn't a true service dog. Owners wouldn't do the training. Service animals receive months if not years of training from professionals. Most dogs don't make it through all the training.

Were you serious when you used it as the basis for disagreeing with me?

Looks like you weren’t. It’s just so hard to agree with someone, I guess.

It's not all that hard. I'm not going to agree or disagree with you, for one thing I'm never quite sure what point you're making. I'm just noting that the subject of the story was not a service animal, it was an ESA that attacked someone and yes, bit them in the face causing disfigurement.

To add a recent experience to this discussion, when our LSL trip was near arrival into Chicago, and the SCA asked people to give him their used linens as he came through the car, when I removed the sheets from the mattress there was a series of smallish, circular urine stains on the mattress. These were most likely caused by someone's pet. When the SCA got to our room I showed him the mattress and he said, "That's disgusting." Yes. Yes, it was. So. While this experience doesn't rise to the level of being attacked, obviously, it does reinforce my conviction that animals do not belong on trains unless they are trained service animals.
I'm not going to complain to Amtrak about it and when they sent me a survey about our LSL trip I didn't mention it. The SCA was going to write it up and I trust he took care of that. Also I didn't want to cause an issue for any employees and I'm not looking for compensation. In case anyone wonders.

Yes, because small yellow stains on a mattress couldn't possibly have been made by children having an accident, spilled juice, or sweat.

Also, only service animals are allowed in sleeper cars, so your point about only allowing service animals is moot.

No employee can ask for any proof, by design. Nor is there any proof to provide, by design. If you ask for proof anyway there will be hell to pay, by design. The people behind the ADA decided long ago that allowing the wrong kind of animal is preferable to allowing staff to ask for proof of anything. This whole debate is ridiculous but it was also entirely predictable. The people behind ADA rules and guidelines created this problem by tying the hands of those tasked with enforcing it. As currently implemented the animal has to be witnessed doing something obviously disruptive or threatening to legally safeguard an employee who endeavors to remove them. Unfortunately this means that there is a risk it will be too late to prevent harm to others. The people who manage and maintain the ADA will need to be persuaded to fix this problem with new guidelines that acknowledge and address the potential for rampant misuse. Or they can just sit back and do nothing until the tide eventually turns against them. I never thought I'd harbor anti-ADA sentiment but here we are.
Agreed

I'm pro-ADA generally, but there are some provisions in the law (and the manner in which they are enforced or implemented) which bug me.

It's not all that hard.

I'm never quite sure what point you're making.

Sounds like it is pretty hard for you, at least. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, why take the time to write a reply where you say you disagree if you don’t even understand what you’re agreeing with? It should be pretty obvious that I’m talking about actual service animals.

I'm just not going to agree with the position you have articulated.

I'm not going to agree or disagree with you,

Well, which is it? If you’re going to not disagree with me, not disagreeing with me would be a good place to start. :D

I agree with Sarah. Sweaty juice swilling children need to be banned from sleepers post haste. On a more serious note though, can we please stop with the endless back and forth bickering. Thank you.

Last edited:
We are temporarily (or permanently) locking this thread. The discussion on the topic appears to have run its course. A few posts that involving name calling and/or a back and forth among members have been removed.
In the future, please attempt to keep the discussion on topic and avoid engaging other members in direct discussion within the thread (even if you do not agree with their positions).
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back