Passenger sues Delta and pet owner after emotional support dog attacks him

Discussion in 'Non-Rail Transportation' started by pennyk, May 30, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2019 #26

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

To be clear, Ryan, there are no examples of a service animal doing that.
    There are numerous examples, starting with the subject of the OP, of other animals doing that.

tonys96 likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2019 #27

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

I've stopped making these distinctions because the manner of abuse and the method for practical resolution is similar if not identical.

daybeers and tonys96 like this.
  3. Jun 2, 2019 #28

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan

Conductor

Were you serious when you used it as the basis for disagreeing with me?

Looks like you weren’t. It’s just so hard to agree with someone, I guess.

daybeers, SarahZ and Trogdor like this.
  4. Jun 2, 2019 #29

saxman

saxman

saxman

Conductor Gathering Team Member

While I wasn't there, then I'm guessing that wasn't a true service dog. Owners wouldn't do the training. Service animals receive months if not years of training from professionals. Most dogs don't make it through all the training.

5. Jun 3, 2019 #30

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

You know, the British seem to manage allowing dogs on trains, subways ("the underground"), restaurants, etc. I wonder how they do it?

6. Jun 3, 2019 #31

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

I don't know. Shorter trips? More clear-cut policies? More responsible owners?

tonys96 likes this.
  7. Jun 3, 2019 #32

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

It's not all that hard. I'm not going to agree or disagree with you, for one thing I'm never quite sure what point you're making. I'm just noting that the subject of the story was not a service animal, it was an ESA that attacked someone and yes, bit them in the face causing disfigurement.

tonys96 likes this.
  8. Jun 3, 2019 #33

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

To add a recent experience to this discussion, when our LSL trip was near arrival into Chicago, and the SCA asked people to give him their used linens as he came through the car, when I removed the sheets from the mattress there was a series of smallish, circular urine stains on the mattress. These were most likely caused by someone's pet. When the SCA got to our room I showed him the mattress and he said, "That's disgusting." Yes. Yes, it was. So. While this experience doesn't rise to the level of being attacked, obviously, it does reinforce my conviction that animals do not belong on trains unless they are trained service animals.
    I'm not going to complain to Amtrak about it and when they sent me a survey about our LSL trip I didn't mention it. The SCA was going to write it up and I trust he took care of that. Also I didn't want to cause an issue for any employees and I'm not looking for compensation. In case anyone wonders.

9. Jun 3, 2019 #34

SarahZ

SarahZ

SarahZ

Conductor

Yes, because small yellow stains on a mattress couldn't possibly have been made by children having an accident, spilled juice, or sweat.

Also, only service animals are allowed in sleeper cars, so your point about only allowing service animals is moot.

daybeers, Ryan, jis and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jun 3, 2019 #35

LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

Agreed

I'm pro-ADA generally, but there are some provisions in the law (and the manner in which they are enforced or implemented) which bug me.

tonys96 likes this.
  11. Jun 3, 2019 #36

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan

Conductor

Sounds like it is pretty hard for you, at least. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, why take the time to write a reply where you say you disagree if you don’t even understand what you’re agreeing with? It should be pretty obvious that I’m talking about actual service animals.

Well, which is it? If you’re going to not disagree with me, not disagreeing with me would be a good place to start. :D

12. Jun 3, 2019 #37

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

I agree with Sarah. Sweaty juice swilling children need to be banned from sleepers post haste. On a more serious note though, can we please stop with the endless back and forth bickering. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    tonys96, SarahZ and PVD like this.
  13. Jun 4, 2019 #38

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

We are temporarily (or permanently) locking this thread. The discussion on the topic appears to have run its course. A few posts that involving name calling and/or a back and forth among members have been removed.
    In the future, please attempt to keep the discussion on topic and avoid engaging other members in direct discussion within the thread (even if you do not agree with their positions).
    Thank you.

tonys96 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.