Palmetto Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I was lying in bed last night thinking about the Palmetto Business Class, when I had a semi-genius moment. Why not put a former Metroliner First Class Car in as Palmetto Business Class. My reasoning behind this is this, the car is dead as it is, maybe this way the wider seats (2-1) will be some incentive for the upgrade. This idea may not be a bad idea as a trial on Silver Service this summer. As many of the sleepers are sold out, and people are cramped in the coaches with 212-230 people, this could be a good alternative. what do you think?

While your idea does have some merit, at the moment Amtrak doesn't have any Metroliner FC cars to spare. I believe that there are only 12 of those cars left in service at this time. At least three, maybe four, of those cars are currently servicing the Downeaster's Business Class. The rest have been pressed back into regular Metroliner service for the NEC, due to the Acela Express problems. Currently I think that there are 6 Metroliners per day each way between DC and NYP. So that pretty much uses up all available cars.

That said however, if and when those cars become available, it might not be a bad idea. The chairs are indeed wider and more comfortable, plus in addition to a footrest they also come with a calf rest just like a recliner. That's a feature that I miss on the new Acela's. When traveling long distances, it makes your trip far more comfortable. Plus you still have a food service area in the car, which could be used for the BC passengers only. This would ease the strain on the regular cafe car, while giving the BC passengers an extra perk. With Amtrak trying to boast business travel between Tampa and Miami, something that they've been trying to do lately, this could be a real help.

I would even say that if they are ever return the sleeper to the Palm/Palmetto that they should keep the Metroliner FC cars as BC cars on this train. That again assumes that Amtrak can ever spare the Metroliner cars and finds a sleeper for the Palm again.

AlanB said:
While your idea does have some merit, at the moment Amtrak doesn't have any Metroliner FC cars to spare. I believe that there are only 12 of those cars left in service at this time. At least three, maybe four, of those cars are currently servicing the Downeaster's Business Class. The rest have been pressed back into regular Metroliner service for the NEC, due to the Acela Express problems. Currently I think that there are 6 Metroliners per day each way between DC and NYP. So that pretty much uses up all available cars.
That said however, if and when those cars become available, it might not be a bad idea. The chairs are indeed wider and more comfortable, plus in addition to a footrest they also come with a calf rest just like a recliner. That's a feature that I miss on the new Acela's. When traveling long distances, it makes your trip far more comfortable. Plus you still have a food service area in the car, which could be used for the BC passengers only. This would ease the strain on the regular cafe car, while giving the BC passengers an extra perk. With Amtrak trying to boast business travel between Tampa and Miami, something that they've been trying to do lately, this could be a real help.

I would even say that if they are ever return the sleeper to the Palm/Palmetto that they should keep the Metroliner FC cars as BC cars on this train. That again assumes that Amtrak can ever spare the Metroliner cars and finds a sleeper for the Palm again.
Just Wait till there are enough Superliners for the Cardinal to go Superliner and then the Silver Palm will probably (hopefully) get its sleeper and diner back.

I would actually rather see the Palmetto get a 2-1 First Class car that would have 2 attendents that operated the car as if it was on a Metroliner. They could give out meals, drinks, snacks, etc. Then I would want to see that Sleeper and Diner from the Cardinal go to the Three Rivers. B)

Amfleet said:
I would actually rather see the Palmetto get a 2-1 First Class car that would have 2 attendents that operated the car as if it was on a Metroliner. They could give out meals, drinks, snacks, etc. Then I would want to see that Sleeper and Diner from the Cardinal go to the Three Rivers. B)
I kind of like the idea of the Three Rivers (Broadway Limited :lol: ) Getting the diner, however the Silver Palm deserves the Sleeper and diner as well.

Amfleet said:
It's one or the other. B) Until we get some more equipment, which I doubt will be anytime soon.
Couldn't we convert some Heritage Car to a Diner? Or really force some capital for (Viewliner) equipment (thats built to last)?

If you were to convert another type of Heritage Car into a diner configuration you might as well purchase a new Viewliner diner as the cost would run about the same. You are rigth though, capital really needs to be forced to at least get these diners.

Amfleet said:
If you were to convert another type of Heritage Car into a diner configuration you might as well purchase a new Viewliner diner as the cost would run about the same. You are rigth though, capital really needs to be forced to at least get these diners.
...And a few more sleepers... B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back